What is your fitness plan?

Options
Hi Everyone -

Still being farily new - I'm wondering how everyone tends to workout without a gym. My current plan consists of 45 to 60 minutes on the elliptical daily. I know I'll need to add in other things eventually so I'm looking for at home ideas. I've been curious about kettlebells - but I'm curious about the other stuff out there.

Replies

• salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I run/walk (until I can fully run the miles) outside for 2 miles. I aim for 4x a week. 2 miles is about 25 min for me. I sometimes do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. All levels can be found on youtube, that's why I chose that at home routine.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either, when I first started working out, I did Zumba videos I found on YouTube. I wanted something more intense so I bought the $23 Turbo Fire Greatest HIIT's DVD from Amazon and did that every other day for 6 weeks. It's a 20 minute workout. Very intense, I lost 1 lb every week, which was my goal.
    Then I started the Turbo Fire 12 week program and I do that everyday. The workouts vary from 15 minutes to 60 every day (well, 6 days out of the week).
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Right now I lift on my own 2 days a week and do crossfit 3 days a week. I eat around 2000ish calories a day as well. I go over some days and go under some others. I stopped logging my exercise not to long ago because it seemed a little pointless to me.

You can look up alot of body weight work outs to do. There's a lot you can do without weights that is still pretty challenging. Eventually you'll need a gym or home gym in the future though.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I like to mix it up. I do resistance workouts 3x/wk (chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs/shoulders), abs 4-5x/wk, and some sort of cardio 5-6x/wk.

On days I do resistance, I do an hour of cardio, usually some sort of hill workout on the arc trainer. On days without resistance (save for abs), I'll do 90 minutes of cardio mixed up between a few different machines, usually a fat burn workout on the treadmill, a hill workout on the recumbent bike, and an interval workout on the elliptical.
  • csym1
    csym1 Posts: 39
    Options
    I walk almost every day 3 to 5 miles and do zumba on DVD if I don't get my walk in. Recently added in jogging- goal is to run a full mile in our neighborhood that includes a hill in under 12 mins. Also I do The Rack and a ab workout DVD ( about 20 minutes) 2 days a week. I have found that loosing weight is an effort of my moving my body- I move, I loose. Tonight, I even jumped rope with my son who is doing off training for basketball. In addition, I have found that just in having a friend walk with me regularly has kept me more accountable and motivated - not to mention that she has had weight lost too. JUST KEEP MOVING- no matter what it is you are moving forward to a new you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Simple.
    3-day cycle:

Day 1- Run Hard
    Day 2 - Lift heavy (and cross train optional)
    Day 3 - Rest

If you want it to fit a 7 day schedule you can insert a rest or light cardio day anywhere in this mix.
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Insanity
    Walking
    Pilates
    Weights (5-10 lbs...more reps)
    C25K--starting next week when it's not so HOT! (hopefully)
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Couch to 5K. After 30DS, I will probably start adding in some of JM's other DVDs as well to mix it up a bit.
  • lillianelise
    lillianelise Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just started back trying to lose - I don't do a gym bc I have 2 toddlers at home. I started back counting calories trying to stay at 1200 per day- decrease carbs some. I started the c25k challenge Sunday so hopefully I can stick w that. I plan to do Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 on the off days. I'd like to lose about 15 more lbs so hopefully this will work for me. It's always hard to start the exercise for me but I always feel so much better and proud of myself afterwards. GL!
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have done several Jillian Michaels DVD's over the last year and have just started on You Are Your Own Gym.

4-5 days a week and all body weight.

I even decided to write a blog about my progress: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EPICSRT

There are many options out there.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I currently do some sort of strength training workout 2x a week (the endurance kind, not the lift heavy kind), at least two days of yoga and one day of pilates, and one or two of cardio/circuit (even my cardio is low impact; my feet are awful).
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I started at home with the biggest loser videos. I really like them. If running is something you are interested in C25K is awesome. You asked about Kettle Bells.. there are some cardio/strength workouts u can do with kettle bells. I don't suggest investing in them right now tho. I have moved through weights pretty quickly and they are pretty expensive. Joining a gym would be a cheaper and more useful investment lol.
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This is my travel gym: a resistance band. I can get a pretty decent total body workout.
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    M-W-F: Weight Lifting (1-2hrs)
    T-TH: Cardio (1-2hrs)
    Sat: Bike trail (27miles in 2hrs)
    Sun: Rest
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack the discussion. Can't find all levels on YouTube. Can u post link if u donnt mind :)
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Insanity
    Walking
    Pilates

How do you actually get started in the C25K thing? I want to run a 5k for autism eventually - but I'm not sure where to start or how to train.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just started back trying to lose - I don't do a gym bc I have 2 toddlers at home. I started back counting calories trying to stay at 1200 per day- decrease carbs some. I started the c25k challenge Sunday so hopefully I can stick w that. I plan to do Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 on the off days. I'd like to lose about 15 more lbs so hopefully this will work for me. It's always hard to start the exercise for me but I always feel so much better and proud of myself afterwards. GL!

That's my thing - I have a 2 1/2 year old and squeeze workout in after I'm done working and he's napping.
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Insanity
    Walking
    Pilates

How do you actually get started in the C25K thing? I want to run a 5k for autism eventually - but I'm not sure where to start or how to train.

I use an app called RunDouble on my phone. It has a 2 week free trial to get you started and the costs $1.60 for the remaining 7 weeks. There are free apps out there as well but I like this one because it keeps track of my miles and pace for each interval and my average overall. I run in my neighborhood but I know a friend who goes to a track.
  • msjvscott
    msjvscott Posts: 1
    Options
    You can do a lot at home with little equipment. Invest in an exercise ball, tubing and rubber bands. You can also purchase a medicine ball 8-10 lbs. This equipment will provide you with resistance training and develop some muscle endurance. There is a lot of books, DVDs and instruction on the internet that will provide you with a good starting plan.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Read Primal Blueprint Fitness and you'll pretty much see what I'm doing. I'd post a link, but I think you have to sign up for Mark's Daily Apple to get the free PBF e-book. I also find MovNat very inspiring, but there are no MovMat trainers/seminars anywhere near me. Overall, I guess look to both approaches (which are very similar), for inspiration.