My chest BURNS after cardio,Normal?

Options
So before getting married and having my baby, I was always into exercising and being fit. I loved running, but I always had this burnng in my chest after cardio, it got better the more i ran, but it BURNS, it hurts and I salivate A LOT. I swallow and it almost feels hard to breath. Its worse for me now that I am SO OUT of shape. I hate hate hate working out becauuse of it now. HELP!? Is this normal? Do I have "Athlete's asthma"? Is that just hat being out of shape does to you?

WHATS GOING ON!?

Replies

• kerriecragg08
    Options
    bump
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would check with a pulmonologist.
  • kerriecragg08
    Options
    ?? never heard of that before, i guess
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Every person's experience is different but that doesn't seem normal to me. If I run too hard my blood pressure goes up and I get nasty headaches... but not chest pains. Is it a constricting airway type feeling, like asthma? I would definitely see a doctor about it.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Are you checking your heart rate while you're exercising? Does it seem higher than it should be?

You definitely need to check with the Dr. about this... Could be nothing, but better safe than sorry
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Always better to be safe then sorry....see a doctor!
  • kerriecragg08
    Options
    yes, it literally BURNS. It also almost feels like my throat swells, so mayb thats why i have SO much spit. Like a lot. I swallow, and drink water to cool myself, and that helps. I don't know! So weird, I HATE it.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would check with a pulmonologist.

This. It could be anything. From Asthma to unknowingly holding your breath to being allergic to the glue on your exercise machine's handles. Change your routine and see if anything changes for you.
  • kerriecragg08
    Options
    No, Im not! I didnt think about doing that, and honestly i dont know how to properly do that. So, I should look that up. But i think I will go in!!
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sounds like asthma to me. I'd check in with a Family Pracitce doc prior to jumping into seeing a pulmonologist as your insurance may not cover it.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    sounds like acid reflux.. start taking prilosec in the mornings before you eat anything and see if it clears up in about 3-4 days. It takes a few days to build in your system so u will have to take it before you eat or drink anything and do it daily. I had this issue.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    To me, and I am not a medical person, it sounds like reflux.

I have really bad reflux due to a hiatal hernia. If I do not take Prilosec EVERY day, when I do cardio I have the same thing happen - burning and salivating, aka heartburn.

What happens if you chew a few Tums before or after you workout?
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It sounds a little like asthma- throat swelling or more closing up/ constricting? If its exercise induced asthma, it's easily treated! I have it and you'll just get an albuterol inhaler to use 15 mins before you exercise. Makes all the difference in the world! Good luck, def see a dr!
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    sounds like acid reflux.. start taking prilosec in the mornings before you eat anything and see if it clears up in about 3-4 days. It takes a few days to build in your system so u will have to take it before you eat or drink anything and do it daily. I had this issue.

Beat me to it :smile:
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Oooo did not think about reflux...... Definitely could be that too! Burning more resembles reflux yes!
  • kerriecragg08
    Options
    i mostly run in place, or outside, or do jumping jacks. So i think it's my lungs! =[[
  • kerriecragg08
    Options
    It sounds a little like asthma- throat swelling or more closing up/ constricting? If its exercise induced asthma, it's easily treated! I have it and you'll just get an albuterol inhaler to use 15 mins before you exercise. Makes all the difference in the world! Good luck, def see a dr!

this.this.this. Im thinking this is probably the case, its good to know this isn't "normal" though. I was so confused.
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and it is hard for me to do much cardio. I do better lifting weights. I have to go and take a stress test Friday. The doctor is the only one that can tell you for sure by taking tests.
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    i mostly run in place, or outside, or do jumping jacks. So i think it's my lungs! =[[

If you are concerned that's what it is then you should see a doctor.
  • kerriecragg08
    Options
    Oooo did not think about reflux...... Definitely could be that too! Burning more resembles reflux yes!
    \

No, its like my lungs are SCREAMING. like a pain burn, not like an acidic, or sharp burn... thats the best way i can describe it.