Trouble using the 1200 calories + exercise

Options
This may sound stupid but I am struggling to use all the calories I am alotted for the day. I truly want to succeed this time. I am eating three meals with snacks and don't feel hungry. i am concerned about going into starvation Mode because i am also excercising and not using the additional calories. I am more concerned about going over so I am sticking to lots of salad (not a lot of calories). I will open my food diary so if anyone can give me some guidence that would be great! I don't eat fish or seafood of any kind. I also have a pretty tight budget so I stick to the basics when I shop. Thanks for any help you may have to offer,

Replies

• JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options
    You're most likely already in "starvation mode" from the sounds of it. Exercise should be making you hungry. That is of course if you're truly exercising and not just hopping on an elliptical for 30 minutes. You may need to bump up the calories and increase the intensity of your workouts.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    There is no starvation mode at 1200 calories. Check Mayoclinic.com. Weight loss is simple math. You don't need to eat more. Some of us don't get made ravenous by lifting a leg and intensity of workouts has virtually nothing to do with weight loss. Honestly, I'd advise anyone to get your weight loss advice from virtually anywhere but here, as ironic as that is. Please, read a book, read authoritative articles, read anything but here. This place is like where all snarky, moldy-old weight loss myths go to die.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You're most likely already in "starvation mode" from the sounds of it. Exercise should be making you hungry. That is of course if you're truly exercising and not just hopping on an elliptical for 30 minutes. You may need to bump up the calories and increase the intensity of your workouts.

Whats wrong with going on the elliptical for 30mins? :huh: For some people even just walking is exercise. Not all of use would like to be athletes. Some people have medical conditions which prevent them from doing more. Also, I did a 4 hour work out the other day burned 1800+ calories....and no it didn't make me hungry. Sorry I just don't like sweeping generalisations.

I doubt you are in starvation mode yet.

The way I see it, is...if it works for you then do it. Read. Lots. Then make your own choice about which path you are going to go down. Only you know your own body and you know when you are hungry and what foods you like. There may come a time when you feel like eating more, when that happens then do so. If that time doesn't come then that's your journey.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Weight loss might seem like simple math. Too bad our bodies don't work that way. Everyone is different, therefore different things work for different people. Let's just forget ab starvation mode & whether it exists of not. Eating under isn't good regardless. You need to give yourself proper amount of nutrition
    Hunny, if you go over 1200 I PROMISE ur not gonna gain. Depending on how much you weigh, you could b able to eat a lot more. How much do you weigh?
    Eat higher calorie foods & u will find it easier to reach ur goals. If you're afraid of going over, pre log ur food the night before. That way you know exactly what you're goin to eat when you wake up & can get to ur goal w/o worrying about going over.
  • rawdefault
    rawdefault Posts: 66
    Options
    Why would you doubt that? There's no such thing as 'starvation mode'. Your metabolism slows down as you lower caloric intake. It's not as though we can be 'in' and 'out' of starvation mode.
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You know you're having trouble meeting your calorie allowance... yet you're worried about going over so stick to salads. That could be why you're having a problem, it's a bit counterproductive.

I know it's hard to eat back the exercise calories sometimes, especially if you find yourself left with hundreds at the end of the day. My advice would be to look back on your typical burns and plan them into your day before they happen.
    For example, I know I burn around 500-600 calories at Zumba, which is in the evening. On those days I eat more calorie dense foods (for example, nuts, avocado etc) leading up to my workout. It doesn't feel like I'm eating a load of food, but it's got a lot more calories than a salad, so makes the numbers up.

Plan ahead, and if your foods don't add up to enough calories, you can rethink or add in a little treat.
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks fine to me. I personally try and stay a little under each day to save the extra for the weekend.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Had a quick look at your diary - you're eating a good variety of foods, and are usually just over the 1200 calories, so that's all good.

You're doing a little bit of exercise, but not always eating ALL those calories back. To be honest, I wouldnt' worry too much, about eating every last one back.

How's it been working for you so far?
  • JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options

Whats wrong with going on the elliptical for 30mins? :huh: For some people even just walking is exercise. Not all of use would like to be athletes. Some people have medical conditions which prevent them from doing more. Also, I did a 4 hour work out the other day burned 1800+ calories....and no it didn't make me hungry. Sorry I just don't like sweeping generalisations.

I doubt you are in starvation mode yet.

The way I see it, is...if it works for you then do it. Read. Lots. Then make your own choice about which path you are going to go down. Only you know your own body and you know when you are hungry and what foods you like. There may come a time when you feel like eating more, when that happens then do so. If that time doesn't come then that's your journey.

What's wrong with going on an elliptical for 30 minutes? Besides the fact that it's likely no where near intense enough to actually impart change and adaptation in the body; it's often used by people who don't truly grasp the concept of exercise.

You worked out for 4 hours the other day? Do you realize what happens to the body after a certain amount of time when you're "exercising" for 4 hours? I doubt it, or you wouldn't be doing it. You go into a catabolic state, that's not good. There are reasons why the people that come into the gym that only use treadmills and ellipticals look the same year after year. It's because they don't know how to eat, and their workouts are terrible endless cardio sessions. That type of "exercise" doesn't change the body.

Weight training and proper diet/nutrition are vital, along with intense/moderately intense cardiovascular exercise. If you don't give the body a reason to change and adapt, it won't. There is absolutely no reason to workout for more than 60-90 minutes. Your endocrine system will thank you.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options

What's wrong with going on an elliptical for 30 minutes? Besides the fact that it's likely no where near intense enough to actually impart change and adaptation in the body; it's often used by people who don't truly grasp the concept of exercise.

You worked out for 4 hours the other day? Do you realize what happens to the body after a certain amount of time when you're "exercising" for 4 hours? I doubt it, or you wouldn't be doing it. You go into a catabolic state, that's not good. There are reasons why the people that come into the gym that only use treadmills and ellipticals look the same year after year. It's because they don't know how to eat, and their workouts are terrible endless cardio sessions. That type of "exercise" doesn't change the body.

Weight training and proper diet/nutrition are vital, along with intense/moderately intense cardiovascular exercise. If you don't give the body a reason to change and adapt, it won't. There is absolutely no reason to workout for more than 60-90 minutes. Your endocrine system will thank you.

this^