It's been a hard year, and have had a set back.

proudmom
proudmom Posts: 44 Member
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
I was doing great until my parents had a car accident in Jan. While at the hospital after the accident, the Dr. told my dad that they thought he dad pneumonia. They gave him medicaion for that and let him come home. My mother who Had C.O.P.D stayed for observation and ended up in ICU. after two weeks she was home. In the mean time I got a call to bring my dad in for a CT scan, what they thought was pneumonia turned out to be small cell lung cancer that was 3 by 7 cm. My dad chose to fight and take treatments. On April 22nd I took my mother to the Dr. she wasn't feeling well and they put her in the hospital to give her IV antibiotics. Mom had me take dad home and get some rest. I called her at 7:30 to check on her she sounded fine, she had ate her supper and was ok I told her I would call her in the morning before we came up to see how she was. That night I got a call to go get my dad and come to the hospital that mom had gotten worse. When I arrived I seen the look on the nurses faces as I came down the hall I new then she was gone. That was so hard on my dad and I, we were lost. We continued the daily journey's treatment. I could see my daddy getting weaker, he missed mom so. Around the end of September I could tell the cancer had gone to the brain, he was sluring in his speech and his balance was off , so then I agreed with the Dr. and let Hospice come in to help me. On the early morning of October 2nd my daddy went to be with my mommy he was happy again. Now I have a big whole in my heart. I feel like an orphan. I have my husband and my kids, but I miss my parents so. I have gained a few pounds and feel horrible health wise all my blood work is out of wack, I have to get back on track.

Replies

• Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    I'm so sorry to heAR OF YOUR LOSSES. Take things one day at a time. And remember.. They are looking down on you, They don't want you to be sad.. instead happy.. Although the holidays are the toughest part of the year to be happy when your suffering from a loss..
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    I'm terribly sorry for your loss :frown:

I hope that you find comfort in the company of ur hubby and kids.

So very sorry.

You can do this, they would want you to be happy and healthy so you can be with your kids and grand kids well into the future.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Like Johnny and June,,,

I lost my Da when I was 32, and Mama when I was 39. It never really gets better, but you learn to live with it.

To this very day, when I have an accomplishment or something goes really well the little 9 year old voice in the back of my head still says "Dad'll be proud when he sees this!",,, and then I remember that he's gone and I mourn a little all over again. I cry for my folks just a little every day, and I hope I never stop.

They love you and want the best for you. Honor their memory by living well - you can do it.

<<I'm crying a little as I type this,,, sorry>>
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    i'm so sorry for your loss--and the hurt inside. :heart:
    i don't have any wise words, but i like what caspero had to say.

:heart:
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    I'm sorry for your loss. It never really gets any better. My dad died when I was 8, I barely knew him Only met him once, but every now and then i get sad that I didn't get to know him. It's been almost 15 years. I know it's hard during the holidays to be happy, but try to celebrate their lives instead of mourning them. :flowerforyou:
  • proudmom
    proudmom Posts: 44 Member
    I wan't going to even put up a Christmas tree this year. My husband and I were at Wal Mart and he went to the Christmas isle and I asked him what he was doing and he said he was going to buy a tree and I told him no I wan't putting one up this year. He looked at me and said you know we do have kids, and your mom would want you to have a tree and celebrate. I am watching my 2 girls and a niece put up my tree as we speak and I can see what he meant.
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    It's good to show you're children that life goes on and it's ok to celebrate things even though you are sad. :flowerforyou:

I don't mean that to be cold or anything.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    There is nothing I can say that will ease your loss, but as far as coping, you do have those kids to think about. Help them remember the good times, share memories of your parents with them, so as they get older they will still have memories of "grandma and grandpa" Since they were an important part of your life, there will always be a little piece of you that is missing, but remember they are watching out for you and would want you to go on and enjoy your life and your family.

Try and have as good a day as you can today, and concentrate on what you DO have!! Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my parents within 6 weeks of each other and I know how difficult it can be. I, too, did not look after myself at all. Looking back, I realize now that eating right and some mild exercise woudl have helped deal with the stress much better than sitting on my butt and eating junk. At the time the sitting and eating was comforting.

With all that I have lost now, I know that my parents would be proud of me. My mom always wanted me to lose weight. She would be thrille dto see me now. Maybe if you put your focus to how your parents would like to see you, you can be where you need to be.

Good luck, it is hard and it does hurt. The hurt eases but you will always miss them.
This discussion has been closed.