Who doesn't want to gain 10lbs tomorrow? :)

Options
Any ideas for not over eating tomorrow and being good so I dont gain very much so unwanted weight ?:smile:

Replies

• lisa1k1
    lisa1k1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead...log your Thanksgiving day's calories today, and stick with the calorie plan you've logged (use your willpower). Also, plan for exercise first thing in the morning and go for a long walk after the meal to burn off extra calories.
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    This is what I plan to do: Watch portion size, put more vegetables on my plate and drink lots of water. We are supposed to eat around 3 p.m. (of course for my family, that means we may actually sit down at 5). I am going to eat low calorie foods early in the day so I am not totally starving when we eat the big dinner. I also plan an extra workout for Friday.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I am going to *try* to limit my portion sizes. Instead of two heaping spoonfulls of potatoes, I will only take one, or a normal spoonfull. I will eat more veggies, we always have a raw veggie platter. I already pre-logged my food, and am planning on getting up and hitting the elliptical in the morning so I know its done. I can also exercise that night too if I feel the need.
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am going to enjoy tomorrow but watch portion sizes! Lots of water too! :drinker:
    Have a happy Thanksgiving!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I sure don't!!!! I've been losing and gaining the same 5 lbs for a couple of months. It is gone now and I want it to stay that way!!!!

My group has a challenge for the big meal tomorrow. We are supposed to get 1 serving of each food then wait 2-3 hours before going back for 2nds. On top of the saved calories, you won't get that boated "I ate too much" feeling.

I've also pretracked everything so I know I'm still in my calorie balance. I had to throw in a bit more cardio to cover the pumpkin pie. Now I just have to stick to what I have tracked.
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've told myself that thanksgiving is a time to be thankfull (not a time to gorge), so I'm thankfull that I've worked so hard. Don't ruin all your work, but don't feel guilty having 1 slice of pumpkin pie. MODERATION IS KEY. Take it easy on the food, enjoy your family and the day off...tomorrow it's back to hard work.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I saw written recently, can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, where someone took a "special tablespoon" with them to social gatherings and that is what they would take of the stuff that they normally wouldn't eat. I'm thinking of trying to apply the concept in social gatherings, and loading my plate with veggies with small dollops of the goodies. You guys will all do great!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    My plan:

Wake up early and do a cardio/ab dvd (40mins)
    drink plenty of water!
    eat a plate of salad/veggies before the main course
    skip the dessert or a slice share with my bf

xxxx crossing my fingers so I don't lose it! xxxx

Motivation:
    1.Gotta be good....can't throw everything away for one day of food!
    2. Christmas is coming up right around the corner....you can eat then too. Tomorrow is not the only day of the year there will be good food so take it easy.
    3. Want to look great for Christmas, if you slip up tomorrow, it may lead u to give up and lose all motivation during the holidays.
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    10 Tips to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
    Gary Bredehoft
    UltraFit.com

With the holiday season approaching, many of us find ourselves surrounded by festive food and the subsequent concern of weight gain. Studies have shown that the typical American may gain two to seven pounds over the six-week holiday season.

We may also find it harder to maintain our exercise program with all the holiday parties, shopping and travel. In addition, many people have much more stress during the holiday period, which can result in overeating as a "feel good" response.

The best way to avoid gaining weight over the holidays is to eat in moderation, keep a consistent exercise program and try my 10 tips to avoid holiday weight gain.

1. Stick to a regular routine with sleep and exercise. Many times feeling tired or stressed is mistaken for hunger.

2. Watch your alcohol intake. Alcoholic beverages contain "empty calories," offering little to no nutritional value and contributing to excess weight gain. Try having a seltzer with a lime twist or a glass of water between alcoholic drinks to help cut calories and remain well hydrated.

3. Eat a small, healthy meal before party time. It's a common misconception that you will lose weight by skipping meals. The truth is your metabolism slows down causing you to store body fat if calories are too limited for too long. Another negative result is that you are more likely to binge later at night resulting in greater weight gains.

4. Don't stand by the food at the party. You will be less likely to partake in unconscious snacking all night if you instead move, mingle and socialize with friends.

5. If you're hungry at the party, reach for the vegetables (without the dip), fruit or rye crackers. If you do host a party have plenty of water and low-calorie snacks available.

6. Eat slowly. It takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to register a "full" sensation and signal the brain that it's had enough. Slow down and listen to your body.

7. Set goals and keep a food diary. Plan your weekly food intake and calorie count to include those treats or Christmas cookies in your diet -- in moderation, of course. Don't totally avoid sweets and holiday food; just plan for it and eat more fruit and vegetables during the week to allow for this. With this plan you can also avoid the guilty feeling afterward that can add to your stress level.

8. Eat protein. Quality protein includes lean meats, seafood, chicken, turkey, eggs, yogurt and low-fat cheeses. Protein will help you feel full and control your appetite.

9. Try to stay consistent with your workout routine. Don't fall prey to the excuse that you'll get back on track after New Years Day or when the weather warms up again. You may need to modify your program for the busy holidays. Do what you can, but keep it up, trying new fitness activities and cross training to keep things fresh and fun. Seek out a professional to help you with your program if you need motivation.

10. Always remain positive. If you do have a "bad" day, don't worry or stress about it. Just get back on track the next day.

Maybe this can be the year your New Year's resolution doesn't include dropping those extra holiday pounds.

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Ten_tips_to_avoid_holiday_weight_gain.htm?act=AFC-SocialMedia&Property=Active&Sport=Nutrition&PageType=Content_Articles&Emp=TO&PostType=Social_Network_Wall&Site=C25kfacebook&Dy=11_24_09&Note=Ten_tips_to_avoid_holiday_weight_gain
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I view tomorrow as a test run for the entire month of December. If I can behave myself tomorrow, I'll have more confidence that I can turn down the various goodies passed around at work, the junk food at Christmas parties, and then Christmas itself with all the related gorging. Part of my motivation for tomorrow is to just prove to myself that I can do it.

rosie_riveter.jpg
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye out for butter, salt and sugar. Boxed and partially pre-made foods are easy-to-make holiday staples, but they're really not healthy.

- Boxed stuffing mix has about 10x the sodium of homemade stuffing. Find out which was used before you load up your plate.
    - Find out if the gravy is butter, cream or stock based: gravy made from veggie stock has the lowest amount of fat and is loaded with good vitamins and minerals.
    - Go extra light on homemade mashed potatoes. Just remind yourself: entire sticks of butter went in there.
    - Beware of crandberry sauce, which is nothing but sugar in a lumpy red dress. Crandberry sauce has next to no nutritional value when compared with the amount of sugar dumped in there, so skip it if you possibly can.
    - Also, make sure your veggies aren't loaded in butter. This seems like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised. Just ask the person cooking if they would set a few veggies asside for you and steam them instead of the traditional loaded-in-butter-and-salt route.

I'm cooking for myself and a few friends this year, so I'm starting with small salads while the bird rests. Brightly colored veggies with lots of crunch are key. I also add walnuts and raw almonds to keep things extra interesting.

Good luck, everybody, and enjoy your Thanksgiving!
  • AliciaKennedy
    Options
    If your family is like mine, Thanksgiving dinner is ate around 2:00. I can already hear my dad saying "Im saving room for Thanksgiving dinner" as I offer him a ham sandwich as a snack around 11:00. This is what you don't want to do. Make sure you eat some before, whether it be a late breakfast or brunch. Food always looks great when you are starving, even if it really isn't. Also, stick to foods that you don't get year round. This will cut down on the selection.