Hi all, why aren't young people allowed to use this app?

Options
I know some younger people(12+) who want to loose weight, feel badly about themselves, etc. How come you have to be 18 or older to use the app? None of them want to be a size 0, but jut look a little less chunky.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    there are some people that admit to being younger. they just lie about their age.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Isn't sparx people for kids? I assumed it was so they would be safer. But who knows.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I know some younger people(12+) who want to loose weight, feel badly about themselves, etc. How come you have to be 18 or older to use the app? None of them want to be a size 0, but jut look a little less chunky.

http://kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healthy/food/diet.html
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Have you spent much time looking at the forums? There's a lot of adult content, and I wouldn't want my 16 year old daughter participating in them or being in communication with many of the people that I see commenting. There is a Spark Kids website that is on the same premise of MFP but has stricter rules and controls to make it kid friendly.
  • sillysam061
    Options
    At the age of 18 you become responsible for your own actions and health. Younger than 18 and your body is still growing and developing and it is important we eat the necessary foods and not restrict our diet. Maybe. Im not too sure just a guess x
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    lets face it. there are people on this site who are not just here for the fitness help. i wouldnt want my daughters to come across some of this crap!! its like a freakin dating game on some of the forums, and some of the posts as well. we as adults can handle this, well most of us can, but they should try to develop one specifically for the younger crowd!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The calculations MFP does to recommend a calorie intake are based on adults, it's not healthy for under 18s to follow the same guidelines while they're still growing.
  • underdogzz
    underdogzz Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    i didnt think it was fair either. this site has support,popular,tools,great tracking of foods and calories and isnt hard to get used to once you join.

plus any posts that contain triggering content of wanting to be anorexic thin etc are deleted 10 mintues later
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the forums here are often absurd in the amount of sex and pure immature nonsense. can you imagine what they would be like with a bunch of kids? this isnt the reason for the rule however. its an insurance issue I believe.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of other people have said this site is designed for adults so wouldn't be appropriate for under 18s. The content of some of the forums is at times very adult based & the nutrition is set up for an adult & not a growing young person. There must be other sites specifically designed for under 18s with stricter controls in all aspects which would be more suitable. :flowerforyou: