weight loss equation for 5'3 female, 180 lbs???

Options
I am a nurse and have a female client who is 5'3" and about 180 lbs. She is a quadriplegic thus has a sedentary lifestyle. She wishes to reduce her weight to 130.

I know how to calculate her RMR; which is her healthy body weight x 10, then multiply that by 1.3 (sedentary lifestyle). The result is 1690 cals per day. THAT is for a person who's 130. How should this equation change for her?

How many calories should she be eating per day in order to lose 1/2-1 lb per week??

Thanks so much~

Replies

• HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Here is a great site for helping to figure out BMR and calorie goals: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Here is a great site for helping to figure out BMR and calorie goals: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

agreed!
  • KateRepine
    KateRepine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm almost that equation to a T! I'm on 1520 to lose 1/2 to 1 lb a week
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and have a female client who is 5'3" and about 180 lbs. She is a quadriplegic thus has a sedentary lifestyle. She wishes to reduce her weight to 130.
    I know how to calculate her RMR; which is her healthy body weight x 10, then multiply that by 1.3 (sedentary lifestyle). The result is 1690 cals per day. THAT is for a person who's 130. How should this equation change for her?
    Estimating her initial body fat at 40% http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm comes up with

Caloric Need:
    Estimated Base BMR: 1428 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 1713 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 1213 Calories.

which isn't a mile off where you started. Many BMR equations work from fat free mass or ideal weight which takes out the current weight. Another approach for obese females is to multiply current weight by 7 to get BMR which would be about 1260.
  • MsBunnyBaby
    Options
    Hi

I do not agree with 1.3 as 1.3 is equivalent to that of someone with a moderate physical activity which your patient is not. You should be calculating on 1.1 therefore your figure will change. The first part of your calculation is the BMR (or RMR). (I do mine differently in that I use this formula 655 + (4.3 × weight in pounds) + (4.7 × height in inches) − (4.7 × age in years) )
    So assuming your patient is 30 years old, the formula would be: 655 + (4.3 x 180) + (4.7 x 63.6) - (4.7 x 30)
    this would equal to 1587 which would be what she would be using if she never moved from the couch.

Since you've mentioned that she's sedentary, you would multiply her BMR by 1.1 (as listed below) which would give you a figure of 1746. To lose a pound a week you have to create a calorie defecit of 3500 calories (so 500 calories per day). To lose half a pound, you would halve that. For your patient, she would have to eat between 1496 - 1246 per day in order to achieve a loss of 0.5 to 1lbs per week.

a. Sedentary Physical Activity Level
    Do you have a desk job or do some other kind of work that keeps you in your chair for most of the day? If the answer is yes, your score is 1.1.

b. Light Physical Activity Level
    Are you on your feet and walking around for at least half the day? Stay-at-home moms, salespeople, and doctors fall into this category. If this is you, your score is 1.2.

c. Moderate Physical Activity Level
    If you're on the move pretty much all day, with a few limited periods of being sedentary, this is the level for you. People in this category include gardeners, carpenters, and mail carriers. If you're in this category, your score is 1.3.

d. High Physical Activity Level
    Does your job require being constantly on the move, and does it entail significant amounts of manual labor? Construction workers, farm workers, and movers are among those who land in this category. If you're in this group, your score is 1.4.

I hope that helps.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    This helped immensely. Thanks all!!!