Thoughts on spaghetti squash

Options
okinmaine
okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
I am a self diagnosed pasta addict. I have heard so much about using spaghetti squash as a healthier alternative. I've never tried and it am interested in your suggestions. A bit nervous to try it because I have some "VERY" weird texture issues! :O)

Replies

• shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I absolutely ADORE it! It's sooo good, and because it's low calorie and low carb, you can put more sauce on it ;D
  • nicole_lc
    nicole_lc Posts: 8
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a lifesaver to me!!!! I love my pasta, but realized I was getting waaay too many calories and carbs, and feeling guilty while eating it. I decided to try the spaghetti squash, and I don't even miss pasta anymore! Just make sure you roast it for about 45 mins to an hour in the oven, otherwise it can still be a little crunchy while you are eating.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I microwave it and then put butter and parmesan cheese on it! It's good!
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian and LOVE my pasta, but I switched over to Spaghetti Squash and i absolutely love it, I add mushrooms to my sauce with some fresh basile, put it over my *pasta* with some Parmesan and it's wonderful.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's yummy. And, I was very nervous about introducing it to my kids, but they love it too. Yay.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love it. If I'm craving the pasta sauce, I will use the squash by itself and be happy. However, if I'm craving the actual pasta, then I will have pasta, and maybe supplement with spaghetti squash.
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It does not "feel' the same as regular pasta... but that is because it is a veggie.. so is a little more watery/mushy...but once you add a sauce to it.. you really cannot taste the difference.

My husband did not like it the first time due to the mushy factor, so once I forked out the noodles.... I put them on a cookies sheet and broiled them for a few minutes to make them more crispy... and even he is sold!
  • MeridithMY
    Options
    It is good. Make sure you cook it long enough. But don't let these ladies fool you, it is no pasta. My husband has texture issues and he doesn't like it, but my daughter calls it noodles and eats it right up.

I like it much better with pesto than with spaghetti sauce.
  • Robinvan38
    Robinvan38 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    try Einkorn pasta (available at whole foods or on line). It is made from ancient wheat (before it was genetically altered to remove protein and nutrition). Two ounces isn't many calories and has way more protein (has 9 grams in 2 ounces) than spaghetti squash. You can add some chopped spinach to your sauce to add nutrition and cut calories and even a little ground turkey to up the protein even more.
  • sacorner
    sacorner Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love it so much I've started growing it in my vegetable garden!! One warning for others who might try as well...easy to grow yourself but takes up a TON of SPACE in the garden!
  • Schnelk
    Schnelk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesday serves it just like spaghetti. I thought it was great.
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I so love my spaghetti squash. Even my husband (who can sometimes be kinda picky) liked it. I would also recommend shirataki noodles as a low cal noodle replacement. :)
  • mlerand62
    mlerand62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff. 1 cup of squash, 1/2 cup stewed tomatoes and 1 Tbsp parmesan cheese for right around 100 calories. It helps to curb my craving for pasta. No, it's not the same but I really don't miss pasta that much. My husband won't eat it. That's ok , it never goes to waste.
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash! It's great with marinara or pesto. A super easy thing that I do . . .Half it. Scoop out the seeds. Spray a baking sheet with Pam. Bake it for 45 min. at 350F. Scoop out the cooked innards into a bowl. Per 500grams of squash, I add 2 Tbs tomato paste, 1 tsp butter, 2 Tbs shredded Parmesan cheese and 2-3 Tbs finely chopped basil, 1 minced garlic clove. Salt & pepper to taste.

It's quite filling and you can eat a lot for very little calories.

Other pasta alternatives:
    Finely cut raw zucchini. You need a mandoline slicer for this. Also great with marinara or pesto.

Tofu Shiratake noodles which you might be able to find in your produce section by the tofu. Delicious in Miso soup and other soups.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am a self diagnosed pasta addict. I have heard so much about using spaghetti squash as a healthier alternative. I've never tried and it am interested in your suggestions. A bit nervous to try it because I have some "VERY" weird texture issues! :O)

Just try it! While it is different in texture, it is very good. Plus it is cheap and if it fails...your not out much! BTW.. I love your pic and I sat in the same spot myself.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I was very skeptical the first time I tried it. I have texture issues and to be honest there is not one vegetable I truly like the taste of (except sweet peas slathered in butter). So I knew I would hate it. I had it the first time at Ruby Tuesday's just roasted. It was okay. I didn't like it but didn't hate it.

I tried it with this recipe and now I am hooked -- http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html. I eat it at least 2 days a week now. Sometimes as spaghetti and often as the lasagna in the link.

I think as long as you realize it is good for you and it isn't pasta it will be better. If you think it will be a pasta substitute you will likely be disappointed.

I caution against the Shiratake noodles mentioned above if you have texture issues...unless you like chewing on rubber bands. If you do try, buy just one package as they are an acquired taste. They smell fishy and are so rubbery it is hard to describe. Lots of people like them, I am not one.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love it. I wish is was available all year.
    I cut it in half, brush it with olive oil and roast it in the oven until it's tender.
  • cgm58
    cgm58 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm a pastaholic and I can substitute spaghetti squash when I serve bolognese sauce. I don't get my pasta fix, but it allows me to keep eating bolognese sauce.

You can microwave or bake spaghetti squash..I usually microwave because you don't have to struggle cutting the squash in half.

So give it a try as a substitute for spaghetti under a favorite red type sauce! Good luck!
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Every time I make it, it ends up too watery. Any suggestions for dealing with that. I'd like to get my boyfriend to actually try it when it's prepared correctly.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You should try it and see if you like it. I don't like it. I have tried it on 2 separate occasion and I just can't bring myself to enjoy it or eat it. I do like shirataki noodles, in place of pasta.