Is night eating bad if you're within your calorie goal?

Options
A friend of mine sent me a voice recording titled, "Motivational Monday Chalene Johnson 3 Must Follow Rules to Lose Weight this Week". Her first rule is to not eat within 3 hours of going to bed. I've heard this same rule from Oprah's fitness guy and other sources. If you're staying within your calorie goal, is it still a bad idea to eat within less than 3 hours of going to bed? Are they referring to people that overeat at night? Or is there still some reason to not eat right before bed? I like to eat late at night {staying within my calorie goal} so this would be a very hard thing for me to give up.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I eat late at night (had dinner at 10:30pm last night....went to bed at 11:30). Personally, I have not had any issues with late night eating. As long as it's within my calorie goals, that's all I worry about!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat. It\s only a problem if late-night eating gives you indigestion, or if eating later causes you to binge and go over your calorie goal.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters. We eat later at night too - sometimes 730 or 8pm dinners depending on my husband's work schedule that day and so far I haven't had any issues.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's a myth, ignore it. Stay within calorie limits and you'll be fine.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    We are all different. I eat most of my calories at night. It hasn't hurt me. I'm not a morning eater.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have lost 17lb doing this since the last week in April. I eat the majority of my daily calories between 5:30pm and 10pm. I am a night eater.... its just what I do. I try to hit all the essential nutrients and I am within my calories each day. I also exercise at least 30 minutes a day (walking) and do toning with my weights every other day.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Are they referring to people that overeat at night?

Yes, pretty much this. If you impose a rule that no eating should occur x amount of hours before bed the likelihood is the person will simply end up eating less overall through out the day. Many people tend to over eat in the evening.

If you stay within your calorie goals it makes no difference if you eat before bed, after bed, in bed, on the bed, under the bed....
  • readyforthejourney
    Options
    I dont think that it matters either, I was always worried about this but it doesnt seem to be a problem...I work shifts so my eating times change some depending on my work schedule and it doesn't really matter. Im still new but so far not an issue. Good Luck!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    It's a trial and error type of thing... test it out and see what works best for you. I've had to try to eliminate my late night snack because no matter how well I'm doing, if I have a late night snack, it sticks with me. It's not an absolute science; everyone is different and so it becomes trial and error.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will do anything to either rev up or slow down your metabolism, which is why most people think about doing it. For myself however, I notice that if I eat after dinner & before bed, I do not sleep very well. I either end up taking forever to fall asleep, or I wake up often during the night. Especially so if I've eaten something with sugar in it. Because I value a good night's rest and having energy the next day, I try not to indulge in too much before-bed snacks.

Everybody is different though! If you don't notice it causing sleep problems for you, I'd say go for it! But it may require a little self-experimentation for you to know for sure (i.e. don't snack before bed for two weeks, then snack before bed and see if you notice a difference).
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options

You got it right there. A large chunk of my calories is consumed after 5pm in my case (around 6-800 of them!) Although I have dinner around a normal hour (5.30pm), I always workout at night, so I have something (healthy!) along with coffee at 7.30pm, and then eat again between 10-11pm when I usually go to bed between 11.30 and 00.30 :)

The key is to stay within goals, and not overeat. They're mostly referring to people who 'just get munchies', aka the people who have already hit their calorie goals and have had enough but just have cravings, and usually don't eat healthy snacks around that hour, either.
    Don't worry about it! Calorie goals and what kind of food it is matters so much more. Plus, when you're sleeping, your digestion is optimal because your body isn't doing anything else!
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are a few reasons people say not to night, but if they don't bother you then it's not really an issue.

The don't eat at night rule has been spread and misinterpreted. Generally by that time of day, the average person is at their calorie max and any additional eating is likely to be over. If your tracking your calories and you're within them, it won't be a problem.

Another one is indigestion. If you eat late at night and go to bed shortly after, the food or acids from your stomach might come back up as you recline. Generally you should wait about 90-120 minutes before laying down after eating a full meal. If you are going to go to sleep right after eating, it is a good idea to keep your chest and head elevated above your stomach to avoid reflux.

Also, if you have a full stomach, you might not sleep as well. The drawback is that if you don't sleep well and wake up tired, you will be more likely to crave carbs the next day as a way of boosting your system/sugar. Try to avoid foods like heavy meats, acidic or caffeinated drinks like coffee, and spicy foods and you should sleep just fine.

If you within your calories, then Go Ahead and eat. :)
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i untill last few days never eat breakfast, but i do like supper before i go to sleep. i dont see the problem but others go on about it.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love going to bed with a full belly. I sleep like a baby, and it hasn't interfered with my weight loss.
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options

Yes, pretty much this. If you impose a rule that no eating should occur x amount of hours before bed the likelihood is the person will simply end up eating less overall through out the day. Many people tend to over eat in the evening.

If you stay within your calorie goals it makes no difference if you eat before bed, after bed, in bed, on the bed, under the bed....

Hahaha, this is great! :wink:
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I eat late at night, but I'm making smarter choices. I'll have a banana or yogurt or a piece of toast with peanut butter :) As long as you don't overdo it, there's nothing wrong with eating at night :)
  • Fergie2154
    Fergie2154 Posts: 59
    Options

^Love this :)
  • ricardo2navarro
    Options
    It does not make a difference when you eat if you are eating. I would not recommend eating high amounts of carbs at night since you are not being active during the night.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat. It\s only a problem if late-night eating gives you indigestion, or if eating later causes you to binge and go over your calorie goal.

What Jester said!
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I usually eat most of my calories between 5 and 10 at night. I don't do any heavy carbs though at night. I have been doing fine.