My friend and I had different calories for the same workout?

Options
My friend and I went on a 43 minute "Walking, 2.0 mph, slow pace". the MFP app said I had burned 117 calories and her's said she only burned 98 calories.

We were confused and just recorded the different calories. So Why was it different?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Because you are different weights. A larger person will burn more calories than someone smaller.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    different weight ? height?
  • nayeliscastellanos
    nayeliscastellanos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It could be because when you make your profile on here you put your weight and height in. MFP probably uses that to determine how many calories you burn when exercising. I would think someone heavier than me will burn more calories doing the same exercise. I hope that helps.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If you and your friend are different heights and weights it is going to vary. If you are heavier, you will burn more because you are carrying more weight around.
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Because you are different weights. A larger person will burn more calories than someone smaller.

Actually I am 145lbs 5'3", she's about 5'6" 230lbs, it said I burned more than she did
  • nayeliscastellanos
    nayeliscastellanos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it did that. I would google how much a person her size and weight would lose doing the workout and how much a person your size and weight would lose. You can edit the entry and add the correct calories burned. I had to do that when I was on the ellyptical for 20 minutes. It said I lost much more than what the machine said. :/
  • healthiervee
    Options
    It could be that your weights are different and what you both ate that day, different as well. Bodies metabolize and burn calories differently. I wouldn't be too alarmed about it. :):smile:
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Invest in hrm best thing I ever did.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Estimates schmestimates.

Treadmill measurements at 70% VO2 max :-

140kg woman, 50% fat, 668 calories per hour
    51 kg woman, 23% fat, 515 calories per hour

My aerobic fitness is very low, VO2max 28 ml/kg/min (measured)

* 78 kg * 60 mins * 70% * 5 cals/litre = 459 calories per hour

So it depends how fit you are and on your heart rate. Anything working purely from weight is making assumptions about your fitness.
  • reneejcam
    reneejcam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I acutally wanted to know about this.

My friend and i both have the same HR monitior and do the same workouts and end up with different amount of calories burnt.

How much can a few kilos makes a difference?

I tend to burn less and my average HR is alot higher.

I have to go alot harder and longer to burn anywhere near the same.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My DH and I wear HRM's and do the same workout a couple of times a week. I generally burn way more calories than him, because I weigh probably double what he does!

It also depends on how fit you, are as well as height and weight. I have noticed since I got fitter that it takes more effort to raise my heart rate.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It's just an estimate and the discrepancy is so minor. Get a HRM if you're that concerned.