How to lose weight - for busy people

Options
Hello

I require some advice regarding exercising alongside a busy schedule. I work long hours and while I manage to get to the gym at work twice a week for about 30 mins at a time, and on some Saturdays at my home gym, I need to exercise a bit more. I am losing weight very slowly. I have currently been stuck at 15 stone 9 lbs for about 3 weeks now. It is so annoying.

I walk to the train station most mornings which is about a mile and I walk it in 20 mins. I don't like to powerwalk as I don't want to sweat. Not nice when I have to sit in these clothes all day long. I eat well; I am very mindful of calories, fat etc. However, I seem to have 'plateaud'. What is the reason for this? I admit that on some Saturday nights (all) I go slightly overboard with alcohol, but this weekend I aim to have vodka and diet coke only, and only have a few. I will be with my non-drinker boyfriend so it shouldn't be too hard.

I would appreciate any advice regarding to food choices/exercise tips. I would like to add that I can't really eat little and often, but prefer to stick to three meals a day with a few tea/coffee breaks (I use skimmed milk and sweeteners only).

Thanks.
Georgina.

Replies

• TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Firstly make sure you are tracking everything as accurately as you can - weigh and measure your portions. Even if you have something you shouldn't make sure you are tracking it. Every drink (especially the alcohol), every mouthful, every taste. Weightloss is mostly down to diet.

Have you got showers at work? How far is it? Could you cycle or run to the next train station? What about exercise dvds at home. You can get different lengths from the 10 min workout dvds onwards.

For food try to stick to as unproccessed as possible - not every food stuff needs to be perfect but as many as possible. Plenty of fruit and veg, lean protein, rice/bread/pasta should be wholegrain.

What is your daily calorie allowance? What kind of foods are you eating and what do you like?
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Firstly make sure you are tracking everything as accurately as you can - weigh and measure your portions. Even if you have something you shouldn't make sure you are tracking it. Every drink (especially the alcohol), every mouthful, every taste. Weightloss is mostly down to diet.

Have you got showers at work? How far is it? Could you cycle or run to the next train station? What about exercise dvds at home. You can get different lengths from the 10 min workout dvds onwards.

For food try to stick to as unproccessed as possible - not every food stuff needs to be perfect but as many as possible. Plenty of fruit and veg, lean protein, rice/bread/pasta should be wholegrain.

What is your daily calorie allowance? What kind of foods are you eating and what do you like?

I am doing all this already. I am very accurate with my tracking (except my alcohol but I just cap it at about 1500 calories per Saturday night which is probably over anyway). I do not eat processed food and if it is shop bought (although I try to make a home made lunch everyday) I make the right choices.

Work is a 75 minute commute either way and I work from 7:30am - 6:00pm. Sometimes I finish at 5:15pm. Oh I don't actually run anyway because of an injury which I am working on fixing. When I go to the gym I either go on the cross trainer ('elliptical') or walk as fast as I can without it turning into a jog, on a steep incline.

The thing is that when I am home from work I really don't feel like I have the energy to do a workout. It probably sounds like I 'can't be bothered' but this is a new job that I have only been in for 6 weeks and I haven't got used to the commute/hours just yet. What exercise DVD would you recommend?

Daily allowance is 1200. I am eating healthy foods; this includes lean meat and fish, salads, vegetables, some fruit (though it is high in sugar and half of it gives me a stomach ache), carbs I am careful with, and I just drink tea when I get hungry.
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're on the right track with walking to the station, and getting to the gym when you can.
    I'd say your best bet is to find little things you can do to just get moving. Even stuff like dancing round your living room for ten minutes burns calories. Lots of exercise DVDs cater to people with busy lives and provide twenty minute workouts. Search for things like '5 minute work-out' on Youtube, and you'll find hundreds of versions. You can do things like toe raises and lunges while you're brushing your teeth, squats while the kettle boils. Challenge yourself to run on the spot while you wait for the microwave to finish.
    Good luck!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I used to work 2 jobs and do part time college and go to the gym every morning 6 days a week.. I was sooooo busy and never had time to relax but I had so much energy from being healthy and in shape. I can't wait to get that back myself..
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hello

I require some advice regarding exercising alongside a busy schedule. I work long hours and while I manage to get to the gym at work twice a week for about 30 mins at a time, and on some Saturdays at my home gym, I need to exercise a bit more. I am losing weight very slowly. I have currently been stuck at 15 stone 9 lbs for about 3 weeks now. It is so annoying.

I walk to the train station most mornings which is about a mile and I walk it in 20 mins. I don't like to powerwalk as I don't want to sweat. Not nice when I have to sit in these clothes all day long. I eat well; I am very mindful of calories, fat etc. However, I seem to have 'plateaud'. What is the reason for this? I admit that on some Saturday nights (all) I go slightly overboard with alcohol, but this weekend I aim to have vodka and diet coke only, and only have a few. I will be with my non-drinker boyfriend so it shouldn't be too hard.

I would appreciate any advice regarding to food choices/exercise tips. I would like to add that I can't really eat little and often, but prefer to stick to three meals a day with a few tea/coffee breaks (I use skimmed milk and sweeteners only).

Thanks.
    Georgina.
    You don’t like to sweat….
    OK so buy a suit carrier and a rucksack. Take your clothes to work on Monday (walk slowly to the station) leave your suit at work. Walk fast to work and back each day till Friday, and then take it all home. Day to day carry all your stuff in a rucksack or day bag.
    Get the train as per normal but get off a station earlier, walk from there. Walk faster.
    Drink less.
  • Katy_V
    Katy_V Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello Georgina - first off well done on your diet discipline, it's excellent. I work 0730-1830 with a commute too, and I have found Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred a godsend. It's 20 mins, you can do it before you leave in the morning or when you get home, and that's your daily workout. It's £5 on amazon UK (I guess you're in the UK from the stones measurement and the commute...?? :wink: )
  • queenhiphop
    Options
    I used to work 2 jobs and do part time college and go to the gym every morning 6 days a week.. I was sooooo busy and never had time to relax but I had so much energy from being healthy and in shape. I can't wait to get that back myself..

Good for you - well done! And good luck with the rest of your diet.
  • queenhiphop
    Options
    OK so buy a suit carrier and a rucksack. Take your clothes to work on Monday (walk slowly to the station) leave your suit at work. Walk fast to work and back each day till Friday, and then take it all home. Day to day carry all your stuff in a rucksack or day bag.
    Get the train as per normal but get off a station earlier, walk from there. Walk faster.
    Drink less.

Drinking less is a very good idea. I wish I'd thought of it ;)

I don't really want to do the whole getting changed at work everyday thing - I need to keep up my professional appearance arriving at and leaving the building, plus I don't wear the same clothes each day.

Your ideas are all very obvious ones that I had thought of myself but I am looking more for dieting tips that may help, rather than lugging clothes around London.

Thank you anyway, and the best of luck with your diet.
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options

The thing is that when I am home from work I really don't feel like I have the energy to do a workout. It probably sounds like I 'can't be bothered' but this is a new job that I have only been in for 6 weeks and I haven't got used to the commute/hours just yet. What exercise DVD would you recommend?

Daily allowance is 1200. I am eating healthy foods; this includes lean meat and fish, salads, vegetables, some fruit (though it is high in sugar and half of it gives me a stomach ache), carbs I am careful with, and I just drink tea when I get hungry.

I found when I started my job that I was absolutely wiped out at the end of the day too, but as I've got used to it, it's got easier. When you're not used it, long hours feel killer. Exercising can give you more energy though. I always feel really perky after working out, no matter how dead I was before.

I finish work at 6pm too, and I've found I have to be quite strict on myself to exercise after work. I run most days, so I leave all my running kit out ready to just fling on. I don't allow myself to sit down or wander off into the lounge or anything when I come in. I just dump my work stuff, get changed and get out the door. If I start faffing about, I'll never get out!

EDIT: Are you office based? There's little things you can do at work too, to get moving about more, like walking to a colleague's desk instead of emailing them, and getting up to go the printer instead of just wheeling your chair there (or is that just me that does that?)
  • queenhiphop
    Options
    Hello Georgina - first off well done on your diet discipline, it's excellent. I work 0730-1830 with a commute too, and I have found Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred a godsend. It's 20 mins, you can do it before you leave in the morning or when you get home, and that's your daily workout. It's £5 on amazon UK (I guess you're in the UK from the stones measurement and the commute...?? :wink: )

Thank you - I'm glad somebody understands the commuting issue. It's not only the early start/late finish, but the travelling that tires me out.

My best friend is using that 30 Day Shred. What does it actually consist of? Ooh I couldn't do it in the morning as I'd wake everyone up haha but after work.
  • Debrann310
    Debrann310 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I take a different shirt in to work and change at break and lunch. I get in about 3 miles a day extra just out of that walking. Also, I do squats after going to the bathroom. Every little bit helps when you have a busy day. I get up at 4 am and don't get home until after 5pm. I travel 45 miles one way to work and you don't have time to go to gym or a regular workout.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you want to get that fat off you have to get serious about working out. You have hours of free time after work. What do you do once you're home? Have dinner and watch tv? Sit around until bed time?

I understand you feel you don't have the energy to do anything. You just need to try. I strongly suggest getting a Leslie Sansone Walking DVD. If you can walk, you can do this. I have her 5 mile Fat Burning DVD and its great, but she has others. 2 mile, 3 mile, 4 mile. You can order any of them online and they are around $8. Get one, pop it in your DVD player, and start walking. Maybe stop after a mile if it's too hard, then work your way up.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is time to add a few more cals to you diet. Also, add some lifting to your fitness. You could add a protein shake on your way home after workout. Try squats, arm curls, bar lounges, dips and use real weight not the girl kind. ask you gym for help with the equipment. good luck
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    With the exercise, as harsh as it sounds I think you've just got to make it a priority. New jobs/lifestyles do get some getting used to, but if something is a priority, you'll do it. You get up every day and go to work, even if you're tired, because you know you have to. If people have children, they cook for them/play with them/bath them etc even if they're knackered, because it's a priority. You're living a very busy life right now and you are going to be sacrificing certain things that you can't fit in. You just have to decide if exercise is a big enough priority for you to make the time. You might just have to make yourself do it, as soon as you get home from work (tell yourself you're still working until you've done your exercise!) You can start with just 10 minutes a day - either an exercise DVD or even just go for a walk, but a brisker one than you would do in your work clothes. Gradually work up to 15 mins, 20 mins. You'll probably find you get used to it and hopefully start feeling more energetic. Lots of people like the 30 Day Shred and other Jillian Michaels DVDs. The 30DS is a circuit training thing and it only lasts 20 minutes, so ideal for busy people.

With your alcohol - I'd try to work out a more accurate estimate of how much you're consuming. At least then you know what you're working with. Try and keep a count of how many you have, even if just one night - an average Saturday night. If your boyfriend doesn't drink, ask him if he'll take note of how many drinks you have for one night! 1500 cals in one night sound like quite a lot (depending on what kind of drinks you like). You might find it's not that bad, or if it is - you might decide to cut that back a bit for the calories if nothing else. Sticking to spirits and diet mixers can help cut down the calories.

3 meals a day is fine if that's what suits you. You don't have to do the little & often thing unless you prefer it. It makes no difference to weight loss.

To be honest, I'm not sure what else to suggest. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight, you can achieve weight loss purely through diet. Of course, it's better for losing weight, and better for your overall health to exercise, but the fact that you're not able to do much at the moment shouldn't be stalling you if you're still meeting your calorie goals. Are you getting plenty of sleep? That can have an affect, as can stress. Also, as counter-intuitive as it might seem, you might want to look into whether or not you're eating enough. If you have your activity level with MFP set as sedentary, that might not be an accurate reflection. If you're not eating your exercise calories back, then you definitely shouldn't be set as sedentary.

One thing that has helped me a lot has been strength training. It hasn't made the pounds come off the scale any quicker, but it has made a difference with inch loss. If you could fit some of that in at the gym, instead of just cardio, that might benefit you. Also, look into high intensity interval training, which you could do on the cross trainer.
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Hello

Thanks.
    Georgina.

I'm in a similar situation.

MY BMR is 1553 so that is set as my calorie limit.
    I too walk a mile a day in 20 minutes to get to work.

I have to eat every two hours so I eat at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm and 7pm.

I'm not too worried about my food intake as I'm generally quite good - I eat my 5 a day, drink plenty of water and have the occasional treat etc...

But I struggle with exercising! I've been plateauing for about 2 months because I barely exercise...I just lose motivation too quickly! So anyone with any tips for not losing motivation with exercise?
  • Katy_V
    Katy_V Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    30DS is a circuit-based programme - it works for me because she changes the exercises from set to set so you don't struggle along for longer than a minute on one exercise. Personally I like 30DS because even when I get home after an 11-12 hour day I think "oh sod it, it's just 20 more minutes of feeling tired" and can make myself do it.

You'll need a set of handweights - or something you can use as weights.

Edit: if you've got an injury you can swap over some of the intervals for something else - Mr V has shin splints so he doesn't do the skipping bits, he swaps it for an air-boxing interval
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about 90% diet. So that is the first place to look.

I have an hour lunch and hit the gym for a three mile run 3 times a week. The other days I walk 40 minutes.

If you are walking to and from the train, why not get in another 2 miles at lunch? You can probably do something on breaks too. Especially if you are at a desk, getting up is important. So the 2 train walks plus lunch and breaks should give you over an hour a day!
  • LisaB55
    LisaB55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am only in week 5 at this point, so I don't have a lot to offer in terms of my experience this time around. I can really sympathize though. I work a minimum of 60 hours a week-- often more. I have let that and the stress of my job keep me from doing anything at all about my weight, even after developing serious obesity-related health problems. I finally downloaded MFP and just started tracking my food which quickly led to eating better and fewer calories. I have decided that it is OK not to tackle everything at once. I am going to do what I can right now. The exercise component is coming, but not quite yet.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Drink less.

Drinking less is a very good idea. I wish I'd thought of it ;)

I don't really want to do the whole getting changed at work everyday thing - I need to keep up my professional appearance arriving at and leaving the building, plus I don't wear the same clothes each day.

Your ideas are all very obvious ones that I had thought of myself but I am looking more for dieting tips that may help, rather than lugging clothes around London.

Thank you anyway, and the best of luck with your diet.
    You asked for tips, I gave you tips. I take 5 changes of clothes to work once a week, and I cycle three days. It's just a matter of trying. but ~Clearly you'd have thought about that too. Wouldn't want you to put yourself out for the sake of your health.
  • lostropav
    lostropav Posts: 21
    Options
    I completely understand the part about working long hours, having to arrive and leave work looking professional and having no showers at work. And I also have a considerable commute. What I did was to get a gym membership on my way to work, so I can work out and then take a shower and show up at work as if I just came from home. I usually go early mornings (because by the time my body wakes up and starts complaining I am already on the treadmill) but sometimes I go just after work as well. When I started this routine what really helped was company... would your boyfriend or a friend work out with you?

Good luck!