Cereal

Options
Ok I love cereal Special K mostly, has anyone done the special k thing where you eat a bowl in the morning and at lunch?

I hate lunch time, never no what to eat, its a hassel in work making things and too expensive to buy, so love having cereal but just wondering has anyone ever had any weight loss this way?

I have started eating like this:

Breakfast - Special K and Melon
Lunch - Special K and yogurt
Dinner - Whatever is being made usually ie homemade soup, lean meat, pasta, etc
Snacks- Depending on how hungry i am can range from fruit or low fat mousse etc

Is there anything wrong with that?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound very balanced? Are you eating green leafy vegetables? Lots of them?
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this doesn't sound like a healthy way of eating to me. Its more important to lose weight the right way- with a balanced diet. Eat at a deficit (but not crazy deficit), get in some daily activity, drink your water, cut out sugary/high fat snacks, and the weight will come off. And if you do it the right way, it will stay off.

Diets like this are hard to stick to, because your body isn't getting what it needs. AND I can imagine it would get pretty boring?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    How would you maintain when you stop eating cereal all day? Special K isn't really "health food" like they try to market themselves. Read the ingredient lists on their meal bars and protein shakes if you still think they are. These products are processed foods and designed to keep people unhealthy so that their customers still battle their weight and keep coming back. All these so called "diet" and "healthy" foods are. Back to basics...REAL food, as little processed as possible, read your nutrition labels and ingredient lists and exercise. Moderation! Too much of anything is never a good thing...
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I don't eat cereal for a meal because it doesn't keep me feeling full until the next meal. There's not enough protein - it's pretty much nothing but carbs. I haven't cut out carbs completely, but I make sure to add protein.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like enough food. The bowl of cereal with milk has maybe 5g of protein, maybe a drop more? That's not enough to keep you full for very long, esp if you are having that for lunch as well.
  • debzv
    debzv Posts: 23
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. You might lose a little weight at first, but I am sure you will be hungry and bored. You will definitely lose more weight if you had in stacks of veggies.
  • trudy45
    trudy45 Posts: 83
    Options
    The thing is I am not actually wanting this to be a diet haha! I am just querying has anyone lost weight this way! As I said I cant stand lunch and it is basically the only thing that I like to eat!

I eat a good dinner, lean meat, veggies, sweetcorn, string beans, peas, brussels, i drink about 2-4 lts of water a day and i exercise 3-4 times a week and I tend to eat fruit about twice a day!

I dont like salads at all, I have tried forcing myself but just doeasnt work! I am allergic to eggs, fish and nuts, so I cant touch the stuff!

So really struggling what else to eat in work :/ I dont have access to a microwave or a toaster and fruit salads dont fill me, tried that as well!
  • louiloui123
    louiloui123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    the special K meals lasted 4 days for me and I got so bored I also got very gassy not attractive! it did make me lose 3lb but i was concerned about the balance of food I was putting into my body. So I rejoined MFP I mean there are times when I have cereal for lunch because its what I fancied but dont make it a long lasting meal plan choice... try salads pitta with meat and maybe plan your lunch for the day the night before
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Trudy,

It's not the worst diet in the world, but I wouldn't do it long term. That's a lot of highly refined carbs including a lot of sugar, despite what Kellogs would like you to think.

It won't kill you but could do better, a C minus I reckon,

Philip
  • trudy45
    trudy45 Posts: 83
    Options
    Trudy,

It's not the worst diet in the world, but I wouldn't do it long term. That's a lot of highly refined carbs including a lot of sugar, despite what Kellogs would like you to think.

It won't kill you but could do better, a C minus I reckon,

Philip

That kind of made me laugh - thanks! yea going to have to look into alternatives i think!
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    So really struggling what else to eat in work :/ I dont have access to a microwave or a toaster and fruit salads dont fill me, tried that as well!

While I have access to a microwave at work, I don't like to use it. (A coworker on the night shift uses it and never cleans it up, and it's disgusting. I refuse to put my food in there.)

I take pretty much the same thing to work every day. A sandwich of homemade sourdough bread (sliced thin), 1 tbsp light mayo, and between 2.5 and 3 ounces of Boars Head no salt added turkey. (I hate cold bread, so I bring the components to work and assemble it there.) I also have an orange. This averages around 375 calories, and about 29 grams of protein. I eat lunch around 1:30, and this holds me well until dinner - even if that is as late as 6:00 or 7:00.

A few months ago, if you would have told me that I could eat the same lunch every day and not get bored, and that it would hold me for five hours, I would have laughed in your face. However, I find myself looking forward to lunch. It's tasty, and I'm happy with the results.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I make soup and grill chicken to use for salads for the week. I put a couple in small containers and freeze them, so I can switch it up. I like chicken soup with buttaernut squash, cauliflower, and carrots and split pea soup with turkey ham and carrots. I do think that ceral twice a day is OK if it makes you happy and you try to keep up your protein and veggies and fruit. Do you eat greek yogurt? More protein in it. Also, I like 2 percent cottage cheese. Good luck!