My first 10km race

Options
I ran my first 10km race over the weekend and looked up the results online and I came 6th overall in my age group of 20-29 year old females! My official time was 49:48. I'm thrilled with my time. I have ran 2 half marathons this fall but never a 10km race and I was freaking out the day before wondering if I could beat my goal of 52 minutes and I ended up smashing it. Next up? Marathon in March 2010!

So yes, "big" girls *CAN* run. I'm 166lbs at 5'8 and I know I don't look like your typical runner.... but I was smokin' a lot of people that were a good 30-40lbs less than me. I want to lose about 20-25lbs. I can only imagine how much faster I'll be without that extra weight holding me back.

Replies

• kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is awsome! Love to hear stuff like this. I just ran my first 5k Nov 7th.....next will be the 10k!
  • feel_the_love
    Options
    Wow..great job on the run, andbeating your old time :) Hope you can improve again next year!!! =) Good Luck :drinker:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I too run and am the chubby girl that beats people! I am not quite as fast as you...I wish!
  • shoppingqueen34
    shoppingqueen34 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm running my firs 10k tomorrow morning! I've ran a 5k and 4 mile race this year and hoping to come in under an hour. So we'll see. Great job!!! I'm jealous!!
  • shoppingqueen34
    shoppingqueen34 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Just an update...I ran my firs 10k on Thanksgiving and did it in 1:01:52...My goal was an hour and to run the whole thing. I ran the entire thing and felt really good (not like I was going to die). I was pretty close to my goal, and I had to feed through the other 14,000 people that did that same thing that day :)
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I have just signed up for one in march....I am also hoping to complete in 1 hour.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    thats is great time for both of you. thanks for sharing
  • stephcheers
    Options
    You are inspiring and beautiful! I love running and hearing about others who love it and feel the high of a successful run!

Yeah for you!:drinker:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 10km race over the weekend and looked up the results online and I came 6th overall in my age group of 20-29 year old females! My official time was 49:48. I'm thrilled with my time. I have ran 2 half marathons this fall but never a 10km race and I was freaking out the day before wondering if I could beat my goal of 52 minutes and I ended up smashing it. Next up? Marathon in March 2010!

So yes, "big" girls *CAN* run. I'm 166lbs at 5'8 and I know I don't look like your typical runner.... but I was smokin' a lot of people that were a good 30-40lbs less than me. I want to lose about 20-25lbs. I can only imagine how much faster I'll be without that extra weight holding me back.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! We should start a rookie marathoners group on here to regularly check up on training!!!!
  • running_girl_84
    Options
    Just an update...I ran my firs 10k on Thanksgiving and did it in 1:01:52...My goal was an hour and to run the whole thing. I ran the entire thing and felt really good (not like I was going to die). I was pretty close to my goal, and I had to feed through the other 14,000 people that did that same thing that day :)

Great job!!! 14,000 people is insane! I think at my run there were maybe 200 in total.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!