Toning in Maintenance?

Options
Hello, I am a few pounds away from hitting a weight I am happy with. I started at 255 and I am currently 184. My goal (I think) is 180. However, my stomach is still not what I want it to look like. Can I shift into maintenance and focus my workouts more on my stomach? I need advice. Thanks.

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Nope, there is still no such thing as spot reduction even if you're at a good weight. See the notes I just posted here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656136-back-to-where-i-need-to-be-but-need-toning?page=1#posts-9522649

Short interval cardio and some great strength training is the ticket to having a nice looking stomach. You can ease up on the calorie restriction but if you're wanting to still cut some fat you're going to have to keep at least somewhat of a negative calorie intake.

EDIT: I had my goal at 220 but changed it to 215 today. My weight is awesome now but I want a better looking midsection. There's only one way to do that. Grrrrr
  • trainingmom
    Options
    The only way to reduce your stomach is through cardio. A thousand crunches a day will not get rid of the outer layer of fat you have covering the muscle. Get rid of the fat by doing cardio.
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    "Six packs are made in the kitchen"
    Waffle is right about there being no way to "spot reduce" but you can tone while maintaining. It's just a bit more difficult. For protein, go with lean protein (turkey, fish, eggs [whites or whole, your choice]) and try messing with your macros until you get the percentages you want. I go with a 40/40/20 carb/protein/fat, but to each their own. If you do this, along with the aforementioned cardio and some calisthenics/strength training, you should be able to tone up while maintaining weight.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Nope, there is still no such thing as spot reduction even if you're at a good weight. See the notes I just posted here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656136-back-to-where-i-need-to-be-but-need-toning?page=1#posts-9522649

Short interval cardio and some great strength training is the ticket to having a nice looking stomach. You can ease up on the calorie restriction but if you're wanting to still cut some fat you're going to have to keep at least somewhat of a negative calorie intake.

EDIT: I had my goal at 220 but changed it to 215 today. My weight is awesome now but I want a better looking midsection. There's only one way to do that. Grrrrr

This. If you want the look of a little muscle showing through, you have to either get rid of more fat or gain more muscle. And for a lot of people, the stomach is the last place to go! I'm patiently waiting for my abs :)
  • bditty187
    bditty187 Posts: 14
    Options
    iWaffle, thanks for the link and info. I have just started lifting and I have done next to nothing to "focus" on my stomach. I have done mostly cardio through walking. Guess its time I step my game up if I want to tone up.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    iWaffle, thanks for the link and info. I have just started lifting and I have done next to nothing to "focus" on my stomach. I have done mostly cardio through walking. Guess its time I step my game up if I want to tone up.

I honestly don't do a ton of ab exercises. I just throw in a few sets a couple times a week. Doing core building strength training is enough of a work out for them and I have nicely defined obliques and a clear middle abdominal section. I just want to start seeing definition in that middle section (a six pack) so fat loss is more of a challenge than actually getting nice muscle tone in that area. Doing chin ups, squats, dead lifts and what not actually makes my abs sore enough to know they're getting worked hard. If only the fat burning would work automatically.

Today I was down another inch on my waist since my last measurement so I know this is working. It just takes patience.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    The answer is NO, but there is a way to get you where you want to be over time.
    It will take a few years for your belly to lose fat as you slowly reconstitute your body overall with continued diet and proper resistance and cardio exercise.
    A faster way is through calorie cycling and working bulk/cut phases of body building.
    Like you, I reached my goals but want lower body fat.
    Personally, I am willing to see this through long term. It's not a race.
    Good Luck whatever route you go.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^
    And THIS!
  • Justagirl1978
    Justagirl1978 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The only way to reduce your stomach is through cardio. A thousand crunches a day will not get rid of the outer layer of fat you have covering the muscle. Get rid of the fat by doing cardio.

This is not true. The only way to reduce stomach fat is to reduce fat all over, which comes down to calorie deficit - cardio is NOT needed at all if you restrict calories through diet. However, you are right in that crunches will not do anything :)
  • trainingmom
    Options
    Calorie deficit is true. Cardio is essential as well. I suggest getting your body fat tested. Your stomach will not be where you want it to be until your body fat is low enough.