breaking through a plateau?

Options
I have lost 77 lbs over the past year. I am currently 135 and 5' 2''. I have been "stuck" here for the last month or so. A google search turned up that to lose weight my calories should be around 1250, so that's what I have myfitnesspal set at. I have not been able to get my weight to budge and I am very frusterated. I am meticulous about counting my calories and my exercise (and usually estimate low on exercise). I generally run/or walk (incline) on the treadmill for about 40 minutes a day and most days take a 2.5 mile walk around our neighborhood at night. I am able to get to the gym once in a while and will put in an hour of cardio there if I can make it. I had no problem losing weight before and the only difference I can really see is that before I was breastfeeding, now I'm down to just once or twice a day, so I know I'm not losing any calories there, but I'm also not eating an excess of calories. Any ideas on what I could be doing to break through this?

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Set your weekly goal to half a pound. Look through the boards for eat more to weigh less. Oh and start lifting heavy =]
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im not sure how your diet is, but maybe try for two weeks, a loooww carb diet with lots of veggies and lean protiens... Only for two weeks because little to no carbs isnt the best for a long term diet. It may kick start your weightloss again.. also try switching up your workouts.. keep your body guessing!
  • stcllm
    stcllm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you do cardio; what type of cardio? I have read several pieces of material which talks about the benefits of interval training. I enjoy doing it on the treadmill, but interval training can be done on the crossramp, ellipitcal, or stationery bike. Our bodies tends to get used to the exercises we perform quicker than what we think, so changing your routine may help push through your plateau.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Eat more. Strength train. Your body is probably getting used to walking, so it's having less of an impact. Don't give it up by any means, but add some HIIT or metabolic conditioning stuff: quick sets of pushups, pullups, squats, box jumps with little to no rest in between. Keep it short and sweet so you go all out.
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump ^_^
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump
  • CMmomx4
    CMmomx4 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I really have not been lifting at all. I am a SAHM and when my kids were in school I was doing weight while at the y (along with cardio) but once school let out, since I'm only able to go every once in a while, I kind of stopped. It would be hard to start again right now since I don't have weights at home and get to the y once a week or so.

My diet is pretty typical. Not heavy in carbs, but certainly not low carb. For breakfast and egg/cheese/english muffin. Lunch, sandwhich on whole grain, supper is a protein and a couple of veggies, I usually skip the starch. For snacks it's usually fruit (or my kids golfish crackers if we're on the run ;)). Does that seem like a lot of carbs? I really don't even know what "low carb" would look like.

As far as the exercise, I run, somtimes intervals and walk (incline all the way up on my treadmill). I will also jog backwards or side step on the incline to change things up, but I'm limited because that's all I have at home, the treadmill. I guess I will consider adding in some off the treadmill stuff...
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Buy some free weights. They are a great investment. I lift at home and have gotten great results, but you have to lift pretty heavy. No 3lb weights.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Strength train. Your body is probably getting used to walking, so it's having less of an impact. Don't give it up by any means, but add some HIIT or metabolic conditioning stuff: quick sets of pushups, pullups, squats, box jumps with little to no rest in between. Keep it short and sweet so you go all out.

Awesome advice. We don't want to keep adding hours of cardio. That just trains your body to be more efficient at doing hours of walking or jogging which means it's good at long periods of exercise with less calories burned. The shorter interval training and addition of strength exercises is the ticket.
  • CMmomx4
    Options

Awesome advice. We don't want to keep adding hours of cardio. That just trains your body to be more efficient at doing hours of walking or jogging which means it's good at long periods of exercise with less calories burned. The shorter interval training and addition of strength exercises is the ticket.

Thanks, those two put together like that make a lot of sense to me.
  • CMmomx4
    Options
    How heavy are you lifting, Katie? And what are you doing?
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You don't need weights or a gym to do strength training. Push ups, squats, crunches, lunges and tricep dips (I'm sure there are others, and I just am not thinking of them) can all be done at home using only your body weight. And then once summer is over and the kids are back in school, you can try out more at the Y. I'm a sahm as well, but our Y has a kids room that my kids love to go to so that I can work out. Sometimes we moms just really need to make ourselves a priority. I go to the Y at least 2-3 times a week for bootcamp and muscle conditioning classes while my kids get to hang out at the kid's time. It works great for us. :) Best of luck to you. I know that summer has thrown my schedule into a bit of a tailspin as well.
  • ifonly49
    ifonly49 Posts: 8
    Options
    being you haven't weight trained for some time, you don't need to go to the gym or use weights.. Use your own body weight for eg push ups box, three quarters and then eventually full length... Squats and when you get used to doing them start to use things like bags of sugar in each hand to increase weight... Bicep curls use tins of food or again bags of sugar, triceps again the same thing... The list is endless on what you can do and what you can use, plus makes it a little easier to fit in at home.... Also try changing your breakfast to just protein.... By not fueling the body with carbs in the morning your body will be encouraged to take its energy from the fat you store in stead.... Weights are so important in a work out tho and you must include them some how... You need to build more muscle to burn more fat, also weight bearing exercise will help protect you from bone disorders.... Remember its the muscle of the body that holds up not the skeleton.... So get lifting and you will defo see a result, but remember to also use a tape measure to measure around the tops of your legs, the wides part of the body often the seating area, hip, waist, under bust over bust and tops of arms... you will see a deffo inch loss but not necessary weight loss as muscle weights more than fat....
    Also bear in mind you have stopped breast feeding now so the body will be having time out to see what your up to and once it decides your not being stupid it will start to let the weight go again... sometimes you can go six weeks with out any weight loss then bang a huge amount will drop off... Your body is still return to pre pregnancy state which can take up to 18 months to return to normal... Keep up with the good work tho your doing brill
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    eat more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EatMore2WeighLess
  • CMmomx4
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips, guys! They are making a lot of sense! This was my first post here and I am impressed with this community already. Thank you, thank you!!
  • CMmomx4
    Options
    Okay, someone tell me where I am to look for "eat more to weigh less"? I understand the concept, but I'm not here and guessing this is a talked about thing here that I just haven't come accross yet. What are the "rules"?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have lost 77 lbs over the past year. I am currently 135 and 5' 2''. I have been "stuck" here for the last month or so. A google search turned up that to lose weight my calories should be around 1250, so that's what I have myfitnesspal set at. I have not been able to get my weight to budge and I am very frusterated. I am meticulous about counting my calories and my exercise (and usually estimate low on exercise). I generally run/or walk (incline) on the treadmill for about 40 minutes a day and most days take a 2.5 mile walk around our neighborhood at night. I am able to get to the gym once in a while and will put in an hour of cardio there if I can make it. I had no problem losing weight before and the only difference I can really see is that before I was breastfeeding, now I'm down to just once or twice a day, so I know I'm not losing any calories there, but I'm also not eating an excess of calories. Any ideas on what I could be doing to break through this?

You will be getting down to your last bits of stubborn fat soon.
    This is the trickiest part to losing weight.
    It becomes a game of hormonal balance and smart training.

One of the worst things you can do at this point would be steady state cardio.
    Your lean mass is so important and if you look in the mirror and feel that you are just a smaller version of yourself from a year ago, you may need another dietary approach.
    I recently started working on this and feel that:
    1) A dietary break for 2 weeks is in order.
    This will help reset certain hormones that have been pushed out of whack from dieting for long periods of time.
    2) Cyclical dieting.
    This is where you set MFP to your TDEE.
    On lifting days you eat above TDEE to spark muscle growth.
    Surplus days are carb heavy days where you get to indulge a little.
    Rest days are at a deficit and the emphasis is on healthy fats.
    Protein is always paramount at 1g per pound of LBM.

I recently did a post on how to determine your TDEE.
    Its on my profile page if you want to give it a go.

PM me if you have any questions.

Lyle McDonald talks about this phase in depth in a book called The Stubborn Fat Solution.
    He says "Overweight people have more leptin and are better able to lose fat while maintaining lean mass. Unfortunately the gears switch as the person becomes leaner and the bodies defense mechanisms kick in for survival. These people are the ones losing lean mass faster than fat."

Start weights ASAP.
    Drop cardio.
    Diet smart.
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I really have not been lifting at all. I am a SAHM and when my kids were in school I was doing weight while at the y (along with cardio) but once school let out, since I'm only able to go every once in a while, I kind of stopped. It would be hard to start again right now since I don't have weights at home and get to the y once a week or so.

My diet is pretty typical. Not heavy in carbs, but certainly not low carb. For breakfast and egg/cheese/english muffin. Lunch, sandwhich on whole grain, supper is a protein and a couple of veggies, I usually skip the starch. For snacks it's usually fruit (or my kids golfish crackers if we're on the run ;)). Does that seem like a lot of carbs? I really don't even know what "low carb" would look like.

As far as the exercise, I run, somtimes intervals and walk (incline all the way up on my treadmill). I will also jog backwards or side step on the incline to change things up, but I'm limited because that's all I have at home, the treadmill. I guess I will consider adding in some off the treadmill stuff...
    Low carb would mean no bread, pasta, rice, fruit, dairy. Lots of eggs, cheese, lean meats and steaks, veggies. If you like, you can look at my diary, I'm a low carb eater, even though no super low, cuz of my excessive workouts and strength training. I would not be able to keep up, if I would go much lower. And, I have 6 kids am chasing. Lol
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Change up your routine your body has adjusted to it. IMO start lifting some weights, I know most girls are scared of this cause they think they will get all huge or something but your body doesn't have the hormones to be big. Here is a quote from my friends blog that I love
    while strength training you are obviously expending energy to do the work, just like you would with Cardio. However, the difference lies in your rest day. While Cardio workouts(eg. running) will improve your cardiovascular endurance, strength training on the other hand results in the controlled destruction of muscle tissue. Since the body's reaction to this is to rebuild the muscles stronger than they were before, they need energy to rebuild, which happens when we rest. Looking for the most efficient way to rebuild, the body looks for the closest energy source to use, that is the fat surrounding those muscles! By incorporating a nutritious diet with strength training, fat will be dispensed of faster, strength will increase and your body's biochemistry will improve as it would not with mere calisthenics, further improving various aspects of your wellbeing.

IDK what your diet is like but cut something out for a bit like dairy, cheese, cream ext. Humans aren't meant to consume dairy past the age of 2 years old that part of the digestive system is supposed to be shut off at that point.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

IDK what your diet is like but cut something out for a bit like dairy, cheese, cream ext. Humans aren't meant to consume dairy past the age of 2 years old that part of the digestive system is supposed to be shut off at that point.

I wouldnt cut anything unless you display some kind of allergic reaction to it.
    If it isnt broke....
    Plenty of people use milk and dairy for building muscle.
    Whole milk has close to the best macronutrient breakdown as any other drink!
    If OP is looking to build some lean mass she could eat ANYTHING so long as it fits her macros.