Is there a setting on MFP for breastfeeding?

Options
I'm still nursing and I was wondering if there was a way to adjust my claculator to allow my nursing calories. I still want to lose but I don't want to effect my supply. I'm allowed 1200 calories and I have noticed that my supply is a little low after just two days. Are there any adjustments I can make?

Replies

• CMmomx4
    CMmomx4 Posts: 25
    Options
    You should be able to manually add the calories, so set your calories at 1,700 instead of 1,200.
    (so you would change your "net calorie goal")
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    in your food log, type in "breastfeeding" as a food.....it gives you options like exclusively, twind, partial..etc and adds trhose calories to your daily food.

pardon my typos..nursing my baby :) I get 500 for nursing a newborn....but it drops to 300 when you are not exclusively bfing.....just under breakfast, hit "add food" and type in breastfeeding
  • Wysteriajo
    Wysteriajo Posts: 14
    Options
    Perhaps you could also set your goal for "maintenance" and use those numbers, thus allowing the 300-500 calories a day from bfing to create your deficit? Just be ready to do some adjustment as your baby grows and eats more, then starts weaning and eats less!
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    1200 is way too low for someone who's breastfeeding, as you've seen from the supply dip. You need around 500 extra calories for milk production. There's not a function specific for breastfeeding, just manually adjust your calories. You shouldn't be losing more than 1.5 pounds a week while nursing. When you lose weight too quickly you release toxins stored in your fat, not good for your baby. Honestly, when I was a LLL leader, I would recommend moms who are exclusively breastfeeding not eat less than 2000 calories, but at the very least eat 1800.
  • Catherine0811
    Catherine0811 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing as I am nursing too. I couldn't find any breastfeeding option on here but I read that the minimum for nursing is 1700cals a day. So I added "breastfeeding" as an exercise worth 500cals and that put my allowance up to 1700.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    This is me fighting the urge to makes jokes on this thread.

...and such a good job you did too! Good boy! *pat on the head*