USA! USA! Happy 4th, everyone.

Options
InstantSunshine
InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
Keep plugging away - shall we look in on you in another couple of hundred years, see how you're doing?
:wink:

NO EVIDENCE OF MERMAIDS, SAYS US GOVERNMENT

There is no evidence that mermaids exist, a US government scientific agency has said.

The National Ocean Service made the unusual declaration in response to public inquiries following a TV show on the mythical creatures.

It is thought some viewers may have mistaken the programme for a documentary.

"No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found," the service wrote in an online post.

The National Ocean Service posted an article last week on its educational website, Ocean Facts.

Images and tales of mermaids - half-human, half-fish - appear in mythology and art from across the world and through history, from Homer's Odyssey to the oral lore of the Australian aboriginals, the service wrote.

The article was written from publicly available sources because "we don't have a mermaid science programme", National Ocean Service spokeswoman Carol Kavanagh told the BBC.

She said that at least two people had written to the agency asking about the creatures.

The inquiries followed May's broadcast of Mermaids: The Body Found, on the Discovery Channel's Animal Planet network.

The programme was a work of fiction but its wink-and-nod format apparently led some viewers to believe it was a science education show, the Discovery Channel has acknowledged.

Replies

• HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    America, F*** yeah!
  • InstantSunshine
    Options
    Hahaha!
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    No evidence of mermaids but what about mermen...:huh: could have sworn I saw one just the other day:wink:
    :laugh:
    Happy Fourth Everyone:drinker:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    No evidence of mermaids but what about mermen...:huh: could have sworn I saw one just the other day:wink:

was it him?

4800735.jpg
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Yeah Baby lets blow some stuff up!!!
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

was it him?

4800735.jpg

That's him!!!! :laugh: Whew, glad to know it wasn't my vodka laced brain....:drinker:
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    LOL Happy 4th of July!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th! We sure taught them British a thing or two, didn't we? BOOYAH!

I am at work in an office building looking out at the parade going on in 100-degree 94% humidity and not envying them at all.
  • InstantSunshine
    Options
    Just watch out for all those pesky mermaids.