Starting Running with ACL & Meniscus Repair

Options
Dhellia
Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
Hi All!
So I'm interested in running. I read all these forum posts where people talk about how much they LOVE running and I want to LOVE running too. I have one thing that is giving me pause though. About 5 years ago I tore my ACL and meniscus. I had one surgery to repair the meniscus then another a year later to fix the ACL (awful I know). So understandably I have lots of scar tissue in my knee and it acts up on me fairly frequently... enough to make life uncomfortable. I do have a fantastic Don Joy knee brace though. So anyway:

Is there anyone out there who runs and has similar injuries to me (I'm sure there is)?

Do you use special shoes or anything?

What problems did you encounter when beginning to run?

I should also mention that I've never run before in my life. I do lots of cardio and walking but that's it.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL, PCL and meniscus in 2005 and also had arthroscopic surgery to clean up the same knee 2 years ago. You should be fine. I'm not a runner, per se, but I do run sometimes as part of my routine. I'm going to advise you to start without the brace at first because sometimes braces prevent the areas around them from getting stronger with the rest of you.

I was able to run 3-4 months after my first surgery and return to basketball about 6 months after. You've had much more time than that. Start slow, and listen to your body. Look for an unusual amount of pain or swelling and adjust if you need to. The biggest problem I had was mental. Even after almost all of the range of motion and strength returned, I didn't trust my knee so I moved funny. That mostly applies to cutting though. Straight line running like you'll be doing should be smooth sailing.

Good luck!
  • JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options
    Whatever you do, make sure you are stretching frequently and often. People don't realize it, but a great deal of pain and discomfort can be avoided by stretching.
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    DavPul I know what you mean, I don't really trust my knee either. Walking is fine but if I have to jump or step down or lunge etc I'm not confident it'll support me. Maybe because it always feels different? Like this morning it's dreary and rainy out and my knee is stiff and sore. Justin, I'm sure I could use to stretch more in general. Thanks for the advice!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Ultimately only you, in consultation with your doctor, can know if you'll be able to successfully run. I have no ACL (back in the 80's such repairs were not common), and virtually no menisci in my left knee, which leads to significant laxity and bone on bone contact. I'm able to walk some, but at least at my current weight, running is just too painful.

I would agree with ditching the brace. I have a whole drawer full of such devices and never use them because all they do is make me dependent. Eventually the muscles surrounding your knee will become stronger and can make up for a lot of problems. (I'm not supposed to able to walk unassisted, but do all the time.)
  • readyforthejourney
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this...I was going to post similar myself...I am hoping to loose a bit more and then give C25k a go in September. I started the C25k before but ran into some unrelated health problems that prevented me from continuing. I think the biggest part is trusting our knee(s). I ran with my brace before but didnt like it and think in sept I may try without it for a bit maybe just use a low impact strap. I had three years between my ski accident and the surgery because of miss-diagnosis which really slowed my recovery and packed on the pounds...complicated situation with other health stuff happening too. Please let me know how it goes for you and all the best!
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I managed to tear my meniscus, after 6 months running/wrestling/kickboxing with a neoprene knee brace, I had the surgery.

I was on crutches the next day, I wrote a recovery plan that was achievable...
    within 6 weeks I was running 10k & sprinting again!
    for the first week, I just did upper body work using gym rings etc....
    it was 2 weeks before the massive bandage came off & another week before I could start gentle runs!

I couldn't comment on your ACL , but I think writing a plan and sticking with it helps....
    It stops you taking risks when you're out.....always say in your head, "stick to the plan"....
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL in 1997, and immediately had surgery to repair it. I was playing basketball in college at the time, so thankfully I had good trainers and rehab program. They had me working out IMMEDIATELY. Literally I woke up from surgery with my knee in a machine that was bending it, the next day I was on a bicycle, and then stretching and strength training thereafter. Right after surgery, it feels so unstable, I was scared to take a step, but it CAN support you. You have to work out to get rid of the scar tissue - I would imagine there will be some pain getting rid of that. (Actually I'm surprised that you still have scar tissue after all these years.) I've read that massage helps break up and get rid of scar tissue, but I've never used massage for that purpose - but hey, it's worth a shot! :laugh:

After college, I didn't work out for several years, gained a bunch of weight, then slowly eased back into it. At first, my knee was sore after every workout, but now I do everything with absolutely no pain. Every now and then, my knee feels achy (ususally when the weather changes), but not enough to stop me from doing anything. I lift heavy weights, do boot camp 5 days a week, spin, mountain bike, run 5 miles at a time - all pain free. All that to say, it IS possible!!

If I were you, I would just take it slow. Listen to your body, but don't be afraid to push it. Your body is capable of great things. If you are already walking and doing lots of cardio, I see no reason why running would be a problem. Lastly, I never wear braces or special shoes, but that's just me.

Good luck! And go for it!! :flowerforyou: