10 go to foods

Options
What are your ten go to foods?

I'm pretty new to dieting/eating well and I'd like to have some things in my house always available. I know the typical stuff like vegetables, fruits, wheat pasta etc, but I'm just looking for some different ideas of foods that are good for me, and filling at the same time.

Thanks!

Replies

• Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Hmm go-to snacks or lone foods?
  • mshapiro1
    mshapiro1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I guess either or both.
  • mshapiro1
    Options
    I'd like to keep some foods in my house all the time, so that I don't have to think as hard about what to eat when I'm short on time.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Because it is summer and I have been blessed with a wonderful veggie garden, anything that comes from that, is my go to food. Peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, etc.

Others are

Oatmeal
    Blueberries
    Weight Watchers cheese triangles
    white meat chicken tenders
    Almond Milk (a recent discovery that I can't get enough of)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Fresh fruit
    Fiber One fiber bars
    Lean deli meat
    Smart Pop popcorn (100 calorie packs)
    Salad fixins
  • afgivens4
    afgivens4 Posts: 117
    Options
    I read in another post yesturday and really like the idea of it. "There is no go to foods. When you go to the grocery store, walk around the perimeter of the store. Do not go down the isles. If it is on the outside isles, then those are the foods that you need to be eating." Keep those foods in your cabinets and fridge.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I read in another post yesturday and really like the idea of it. "There is no go to foods. When you go to the grocery store, walk around the perimeter of the store. Do not go down the isles. If it is on the outside isles, then those are the foods that you need to be eating." Keep those foods in your cabinets and fridge.

I don't know what store you shop at, but it's nothing but junk food on the end caps at mine!! =P

You can make your own popcorn with paper bags in the microwave, then just add a little salt and a little butter... voila! So much healthier than anything you can get storebought! Take 1/4 c popping kernels, stick em in a brown bag, fold the top of the bag over a couple of times. Put it in the microwave for about 2 min or whenever the popping stops. I like to share a bag with my hubby as an afternoon snack.

I try to always keep a stock of bananas around. They fill me up!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood that "shop the perimeter of the store" advice - is it an American thing?

Some of my "have in the house at all times" include:

Eggs
    Frozen prawns
    quinoa
    natural yoghurt (Greek if possible)
    cottage cheese
    rice cakes
    spinach
    tomatoes
    chestnut mushrooms
    marmite
    garlic
    shallots
  • afgivens4
    afgivens4 Posts: 117
    Options

I don't know what store you shop at, but it's nothing but junk food on the end caps at mine!! =P

You can make your own popcorn with paper bags in the microwave, then just add a little salt and a little butter... voila! So much healthier than anything you can get storebought! Take 1/4 c popping kernels, stick em in a brown bag, fold the top of the bag over a couple of times. Put it in the microwave for about 2 min or whenever the popping stops. I like to share a bag with my hubby as an afternoon snack.

I guess that is very true....
    I shop at Dillon's, and the outside isles around the building are the fresh fruit/veggies, the fresh deli, fresh dairy, and natural foods sections.
    Popcorn sounds really good now though... Thanks...lol
  • leighlyn
    leighlyn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt
    Rice Cakes
    Bananas
    Celery & cheddar cheese
    strawberries
    Pepper
    Hummus
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Unsweetened Chocolate almond milk 45 cals yum!
    frozen yogurt for summer treat:)
  • mshapiro1
    Options

Wow, never knew you could make popcorn like that! Def giving that a try!
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Almond milk
    Kale
    Whey Protein
    Berries
    Avocado
    Salmon
    Gluten free coconut macaroons (Yum!)
    Dark Chocolate
    Asparagus
    Greek yogurt
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood that "shop the perimeter of the store" advice - is it an American thing?

Some of my "have in the house at all times" include:

Eggs
    Frozen prawns
    quinoa
    natural yoghurt (Greek if possible)
    cottage cheese
    rice cakes
    spinach
    tomatoes
    chestnut mushrooms
    marmite
    garlic
    shallots
    The vast majority of American supermarkets are set up with the produce, bakery, dairy, and meat departments on the 3 outside walls, and the middle aisles are all processed, boxed goods. Thus the advice to "shop the perimeter" (meat, produce, dairy, and fresh bakery.)
  • jennakrysteen
    Options
    100 calorie almonds
    Almond milk
    rice cakes
    carrots
    as many fruits as you like!

good luck!
  • LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    1) Mountain High Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
    2) Fage Total 0% Plain Greek Yogurt
    3) Blueberries
    4) Blackberries
    5) Red Seedless Grapes
    6) Watermelon
    7) Swiss Chard (I eat it sautéed in a teensy bit of olive oil. Wonderful)
    8) Cherry Tomatoes (By themselves. I could eat them like M&Ms)
    9) Feta Cheese (Great on a salad; great mixed with some watermelon in the summer; great with a bit of couscous)
    10) Bigelow Constant Comment Tea (Orangey and spicy--it's my go-to comfort drink)

And a few more...

11) Baked Tofu w/ Tamari *mouth watering*
    12) Cadbury Royal Dark Chocolate Bar (I eat a few individual squares for a great dessert; this is what I sneak into movie theaters)
    13) Dave's Killer Bread 21 Grain
    14) Ezekiel Sprouted Whole Grain bread (This and the last are my go-to whole grain breads!)
    15) Natural peanut butter--I get either Adams' or Kirkland Creamy Organic from CostCo
    16) Vanilla Whey protein powder (I add a scoop to protein shakes after a rigorous workout for recovery; tastes great w/ banana)
    17) 2% cottage cheese (like the yogurts, it goes GREAT with a little fruit, especially pineapple and mandarin oranges)

I'll edit this to add some foods if I can think of any more!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm mentally walking the perimeter of my local Sainsburys. I get

stationery
    clothes
    fresh fish
    fresh meat
    make your own pizza
    deli
    pudding fridge
    bakery/ cream buns