Eat more, weigh less?

Options
How exactly does that work? Does it work for everyone?

I am eating 1200 calories daily, exercising daily roughly 600-900 calories burned and eating most if not all back. In addition I'm nursing an almost 6 week old but not accounting for those calories burned.

I'm averaging 1 lb a week to every 2 weeks. Does that seem good?

Replies

• CMmomx4
    CMmomx4 Posts: 25
    Options
    NO! I commented in your other post but you are eating way under. I would expect that you are going to notice a big supply dip if you keep this up. How is your babies weight. You need to up your calories for sure.

I'm wanting to learn more about the "eat more to weigh less" too, but in regards to your breastfeeding alone, you are most certainly going to start having supply problems if you keep that up.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I didn't see that. :( Supply is good, and baby is up to 10 lbs at 5 weeks from 6.14 at birth (6.7 when discharged).

I'm just worried that I'll gain weight if I increase calories. I suppose I can try it for 2 weeks and see.

Still like to know the theory behind eating more to weigh less though.
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    Under normal circumstances, you should calculate your BMR (lots of websites do the math for you, so Google it), set your minimum calories to your BMR, and eat back all exercise calories. If not, your body will thinif k it's starving and your weight loss will stop. If you're breastfeeding, then you need to eat even more. Your metabolism goes up while breastfeeding, so you need more calories. Also, it is very difficult to get proper nutrition when eating 1200 calories.
  • spicypepper
    Options
    Okay, so I've upped to 1660 per the calculator and i'll see how that goes.
  • nickichambers
    nickichambers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Help please! I'm 24, 5ft6 and weigh 145lbs. In February I came off the contraceptive pill, starting eating 1000 calories a day and exercising to excess (5 -6 times a week).

In March I was diagnosed with bulimia-nervosa (non-purge) and have since been to counsellors, etc, because from Feb 1st to March 16th I lost 10lbs (151lb to 141lb)- which I would still argue is perfectly normal!

Anyway, I am now discharged and am back up to 145lbs, originally being at 141lbs on March 16th. I was not allowed to restrict my diet, nor exercise at all for the 3 month period.

I have heard a lot about this eat more-weigh less craic but I genuienlly cannot get my calories up to 1300 without eating rubbish! I eat a lot fo fruit and vegetables and eat only lean meats, fish or quorn "meats".

I am desparate to loose 10 more lbs with a wedding coming up in October so am more than willing to do it gradually...17 weeks to go!

Any advice any of you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I think your calories sound low, but very low if you are nursing. Hard to get adequate nutrition for two at that level. 1660 sounds much more sensible. And congratulations on the new baby! How wonderful!
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    That's great! I know it's scary at first, and you may not feel hungry enough to eat all of the calories right away. That's okay, just work up to it. My food diary is open, so feel free to check it out and get ideas (although I was on vacation last week). Congratulations on your new baby and weight loss to date!
  • CMmomx4
    Options
    Spicy, in my experience my supply was pretty rock solid for the first 12 weeks...I had an over supply actually. But after those first few months your supply should regulate and that's when you'll have problems. I have 4 kiddos and that has been my experience with each one. Start upping your calories slowly. You may plateau but your body will re-adjust.

If weight loss is your priority then keep on and just be prepared to supplement your baby. If breast feeding is important to you you really need to accept that you need more calories.
  • spicypepper
    Options
    Spicy, in my experience my supply was pretty rock solid for the first 12 weeks...I had an over supply actually. But after those first few months your supply should regulate and that's when you'll have problems. I have 4 kiddos and that has been my experience with each one. Start upping your calories slowly. You may plateau but your body will re-adjust.

If weight loss is your priority then keep on and just be prepared to supplement your baby. If breast feeding is important to you you really need to accept that you need more calories.

Both loss and feeding my little man is über important to me. In the past, I never was concerned about weight loss while breast feeding (I was over weight and didn't really care). But this time around, having worked so hard last year before I got pregnant to lose 50 lbs, I'm frightened that I'll gain it all back. The amount to go in my ticker is what I need to lose to be a pre-pregnancy.

Eating 1660 calories is going to be very hard because I try so hard to eat back my exercised calories burned and even that's difficult. I'm going to try this for a few weeks and see what happens.

Thanks guys!
  • CMmomx4
    Options
    Good for you! I was concerned with both this time, too. I was 5' 2'' and over 200 lbs when I started (pre-pregnancy)...not good! I was able to do it with my trusty dusty treadmill and watching my calories (around 2,000 net). Even though I always kept pretty much the same calories, I lost more some weeks. Just keep at it! :)
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    If you are curious, check out the EM2WL group. Lots of great info/support there :smile: