What classifies as "too few calories" for weight loss?

Options
Hi!

I am 24 years old, 5ft6 and 145lbs.

In February - March of this year I lost 9lbs through extremely low calorie consumption and excessive exercise, dropping to 140lbs.

I stopped the restrictive eating and exercising April - June and am now at 145lbs, which many would say is a healthy, "natural" body weight.

But- I am getting married in October and really want to get to 135lbs in time for the wedding, dropping me to a size 8.

I am eating 1200 - 1300 calories a day (max), and exercising lightly as much as I can- be it going for a walk, weight lighting, squates, bike rides, sit ups, etc.

I read here about how we need to eat

a) between our TDEE and BMR to loose weight; AND
b) need to eat 500 cals less than our TDEE to loose a 1lb a week

Now, it doesnt take an accountant to work out that my TDEE (1778) and BMW (1446) are fairly close together. In fact if i eat 500 less than my TDEE we're on 1278- which I am constantly told is too few calories to loose weight.

So, can ANYONE please give me some advice here? I am desparate to loose these 10lbs and if i need to eat more/less I will do it!!!

Nicki

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    1200 is generally used as the minimum on here.

Now, that's an approximation, as is anything you record for food intake and exercise burn. But it's probably a good enough guideline.
  • nickichambers
    nickichambers Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Now, that's an approximation, as is anything you record for food intake and exercise burn. But it's probably a good enough guideline.

So do you agree that me sticking to 1200 *should* be ok for me to loose weight? I have 17 weeks to loose 10 lbs....with two weddings to attend in between so realisitcally 15 weeks......

:)
  • susankeiko
    Options
    Everyone is different. You have to find what works for you. I thought that 1200 would work for me, but in fact 1500 works better for me. I have lost over 5 pounds since I have started eating more. (a week ago) When I was eating less, I was just maintaining. Go figure!

I also tried the HCG diet and that is only 500 calories a day. It worked for 6 months, but I couldn't get rid of a head cold, headache every day; all day, feeling so tired, so miserable. Got off of it and gained all the weight right back in less than a week!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, you'd probably lose the weight easier if you just aimed for a half pound a week, rather than trying to eat the bare minimum.

Set your goals for 0.5 pounds a week, eat your exercise calories, get adequate protein, and regular exercise including strength training. Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit and through photos instead of just by the scale.

Doing that will not only be easier and more sustainable, but the majority of the weight you lose will be from body fat, rather than a combination of fat and muscle, so even if you don't lose the full 10 pounds, you'll LOOK like you lost a lot more.
  • nickichambers
    Options
    I really dont wanna get into a fad diet although this week I am trying a gluten free week and minimal diary (messed up today and had a skinny latte)

I appreciate that everyone is different but any advice would be great: my doctor wont give me any advice because she thinks I'm light enough for my "BMI"
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

So do you agree that me sticking to 1200 *should* be ok for me to loose weight? I have 17 weeks to loose 10 lbs....with two weddings to attend in between so realisitcally 15 weeks......

I personally think 1200 is fine. Mayo Clinic thinks 1200 is fine.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-and-calories/MY01903

http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge-newspaper-2009/jan-02b.html
  • jameslowe1984
    Options
    Eat high protein, low carb and exercise your butt off.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, your doctor has a point. And your body is not going to give up any more weight easily when you're at that sort of bmi.

I'd focus more on excercise and strength training to change your shape, and make sure you get a good nutritional intake.
  • nickichambers
    Options
    Truthfully, you'd probably lose the weight easier if you just aimed for a half pound a week, rather than trying to eat the bare minimum.

Set your goals for 0.5 pounds a week, eat your exercise calories, get adequate protein, and regular exercise including strength training. Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit and through photos instead of just by the scale.

Doing that will not only be easier and more sustainable, but the majority of the weight you lose will be from body fat, rather than a combination of fat and muscle, so even if you don't lose the full 10 pounds, you'll LOOK like you lost a lot more.

This comment is VERY helpful- thank you!!

When i change my MFP settings to 0.5lb per week it increases my calories to 1550- i really dont think I could eat that much without eating poorly. I literally only eat fruit, veg (no potatoes) and meat.....I've cut out yoghurts because they are all high in sugar and bread because of this gluten free diet......

Why is dieitng so stressful?! :explode:
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You should NEVER eat less than your BMR.
    A deficit of 22 Calories per Pound of Body Fat is safe. Anything greater is not a good idea because you can slow down your metabolism, end up skinnyfat, etc.

Let's say I'm 150lbs at about 14%bf and maintain at 2800 Calories/day.
    My fat-mass would be about 20lbs, so 22x20= a deficit of 440 Calories/day.

Most people just follow a 500 Calorie deficit while trying to lose weight, which is safe for most people.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options

1200 would be safe for you as long as you have a weekly Carb Refeed (~200 under maintenance)
    and eat back all your exercise calories and do not go below 1200.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is high in protien and low in sugar. I like oikos, and some chobanni (pineapple and peach) and I've tried the honey in Fage 0% not to bad for that one. Yoplait has a greek yogurt out but I've read it isn't a true Greek and it does have more sugar than the others.

Try sticking to the 1200 and see how that works for you. I don't believe in eating ALL your calories back. I only eat back if I'm hungry. Other wise I don't. And also I agree with the exercise to tone and reshape your body. You may find that that's all you need and no need to lose those extra lbs you want to get rid of....

Good Luck!!!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    1200 is a magic number. It was put in place by professionals seeking a relatively safe universal number to keep people who don't understand nutrition and mathematics from killing themselves losing weight.

Think about it this way. Doctors apply this number ACROSS THE BOARD. To men and women alike. To tall and short people alike. To the morbidly obese and underweight alike.

But the truth is, across the board we all have vastly different TDEE numbers and that 1200 number means different things to all of us.

I don't let that stupid number rule me, because if I did it would take me a year to lose something as simple as 20 pounds. Pretty dumb! I'm 4'11", a woman grown, and I adjust my intake according to my TDEE, with little regard to the magic 1200. I strike a middle ground. I have both increased my activity and lowered my intake, trying to gain fitness in addition to losing these big jiggly thighs I got somewhere along the way.

I net 900 calories a day where I can. Balk if you like, but I listen to my body. I am not tired, I don't lack energy, I get my job done 5 days a week, and I feel good. Also, I'm losing exactly as the math suggests -- 1 pound per week. So no, I'm not eating too little to lose weight.

In addition to actually losing weight while maintaining a calorie deficit, I have gained strength. Six months ago I could barely lift my Cooler Master HAF gaming tower. Boyfriend had to do it for me. This weekend I picked it up like it was hardly anything and gently nestled it under my desk. No sweat broken.

So no, I'm not eating too few calories to gain strength.

It's all relative. If you're 5'7" and a man, this obviously would not work for you.

If you read nothing else, read this: Find your TDEE at sedentary, subtract 500 and net that every day. By "net that" I mean eat back your exercise calories. By "eat back your exercise calories" I mean buy an HRM or something to accurately determine your exercise calories because MFP has some effed up exercise entries. There's some crazy cleaning entry on here that HAS to be the reason so many people are plateauing, LOL
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

When i change my MFP settings to 0.5lb per week it increases my calories to 1550- i really dont think I could eat that much without eating poorly. I literally only eat fruit, veg (no potatoes) and meat.....I've cut out yoghurts because they are all high in sugar and bread because of this gluten free diet......

If your diet is stressing you out, it's not going to help your weight loss. It might be better to relax into some other plan. I think that you could probably look a lot better in your gown if you switch gears to focus on weight training instead of weight loss now.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

If your diet is stressing you out, it's not going to help your weight loss. It might be better to relax into some other plan. I think that you could probably look a lot better in your gown if you switch gears to focus on weight training instead of weight loss now.

I tottaly agree!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If you're comfortable at 1200, which it seems like you are, then stay there. Don't go any lower, or your body might not like it.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

^Listen to the smart lady.

You don't really have much to lose so going for 1lb a week is going to be really hard. You are much better trying for 0.5 a lbs a week and being successful.

And the comment about not being able to eat 1500 cals, you do not have to eat junk to get there, things like nut butter, avocados, olive oil, granola, as well as many other things.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    do u know ur bmr?

find out and take it from there.

i think u are eatting too few calories
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Is being that restrictive in what you are eating something you are going to be able to do long term? If not change it now and start introducing small amounts of other foods back in. It will stop you putting weight back on when you stop 'dieting' and also help you to eat more calories. There is no need to cut out foods like potatoes and yogurt!
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Focus on adding strength training and some heavier lifting to your exercise- cardio is great, but weight training will help you to lose a lot of inches and size!