300+ exercises?

Options
I've tried googling this and maybe that wasn't the best course, but I"m curious if there are any exercises that might be a little easier on a 304 pounder than jumping around and squats (which make my knees make the most horrid sounds)
If Not I'll keep trying, I can't do very many of them, but I'm thinking I should be doing something differently. Any suggestions?
Or should I just stick to walking for a while?

Replies

• AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I hope its ok to bump your own topic, but I would like to see suggestions on things to do if you are over 300 that doesn't make you bounce painfully.
  • krissymonique
    krissymonique Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also have bad knees, so I try to do as little squats and lunges as possible but still do an pretty good job at working my butt and thighs. I do a lot of work with a resistance band. If you go and look on you tube you can find so many different lower body workouts that don't require the stress on your knees. Also work on strengthening your core that is key. Hope that is a little helpful for you.
  • Devonwood
    Devonwood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm around that point, too. I usually walk at a brisk pace, something that will break a sweat. Also try crunches and reverse crunches, or any exercise that doesn't put strain on your knees.

If you have access to a pool, I would suggest swimming. It's great exercise that works multiple parts of your body (including legs) without putting all of your weight on your knees. The resistance of the water helps, too.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainer. Get one. Trust me. It's not just low impact, it's NO impact. I recommend the Jungle Gym XT.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm heavier than you [365lbs], and I do squats when my trainer makes me. What he has me do is put an exercise ball against the wall and lean against it. It gives me a little more stability, and helps make sure I have the proper form for squats so that I'm not killing my knees. Believe me, I know those sounds that come from the knees!
  • sunraze
    sunraze Posts: 115
    Options
    Rowing and swimming
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I was 300, I just avoided those exercises until I lost more weight. Or you can try the hack squat machine if that works better for you. The only leg work I did from 300 lbs to @ 225 lbs was alt pace walking. Would get on treadmill and make the incline steep to get a lil more resistance in walking.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Swimming is my go-to, just being in the water and moving... laps.... water-jogging etc, the extra resistance from the water makes it quite a workout with minimal impact.
    ETA - walking of course, that was previously about the only exercise I did but I did it 3 or 4k a night just walking around the neighbourhood a 45 minute drive from the city and a 2k hike to the nearest "convenience store". Once I actually got into the city and that stopped, well that's when the weight piled on.
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi i started at 304 and i was just walking and swimming to start with then i got a wiifit and lost my first 2 stone ( 28 pounds) just doing that, now i go to zumba classes 3-4 times a week, jog , cycle anything i want. I built my body up to the harder things as i had a bad knee when i began. Good luck xx
  • diz0408
    diz0408 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree rowing and swimming. I don't know why you would be doing squats and jumping. Surely that would cause damage to you knees? Me knees aren't fantastic and I find classes like Zumba good fun and you will deffo break a sweat!

Good luck!
    Diane
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I walked all of mine off, just be sure to set yourself good targets and time what you do and try and beat it next time.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    I do things like walking, a bit of the elliptical etc. I do a lot of weights too. I got a personal trainer to help me make up routines each week. I can't do anything that involves being on the floor/on my knees due to an injury and my weight... She has me doing weights, step ups, etc. I do all this and I'm 350 lbs.

To make it easier on the joints too you should check out aqua classes, they are great for helping you do LOTS and you don't even realize it until you are climbing out of the pool! LOL
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    rowing, swimming, walking, zumba. Go at your own pace and step up the intensity as your body starts to feel stronger!!!!
  • Charismasme2
    Charismasme2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When I first started I weighed 258lbs...I just walked...started out with one mile a day, and went up from there, by the end of two weeks, was walking 3 miles a day. Keep with it. I have very bad knees as well. I can now do squats and lunges...but it's about form!!! I would stick to walking, and if available swimming!!! Good Luck, you can do this!!!
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll have to look into the swimming I get that recommended a lot. ^.^
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    I started out at 300lbs. I have arthritis in both my knees and at times walking, going up stairs, washing dished is done in pain. I started doing water aerobics. I've lost about 20lbs. from doing that. It is a great workout. I am EMPOWERED when I'm in the water and I can do the moves without pain. I can do squats, lunges etc.

Also, the bike is good for your knees. Start out doing 15min, then working your way up. I have to add the bike to my exercise program. I want nothing more than to do Zumba, but I know that after a few minutes, my knees would hurt (my dr. said I'll need to have surgery). I will say that with doing the water fitness, my knees are in less pain (but I'm also on vacation and not on feet as much as I usually am).
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Still looking forward to 304 :-) But I'll do squats with my trainer (well, not _with_ him, he just stands there. :-) I know the sounds you mean, try backing off a bit, but you also can use it as an excuse. Keep pushing!
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 knee ops in the last 3 years and waiting for my 4th

My main exercise is walking and swimming

I also have an exercise bike

x
  • justnname
    justnname Posts: 162
    Options
    If it was easy everyone would be doing it. LOL As long as your not in pain continue doing it.. You will be glad you stuck to it in the long run. I have been weight training 2 x week through out my weight loss.. It was awkward and exhausting at first. Now it my favorite part of the week. Also, the big plus, weight training through out will help with tightening of the skin.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101.htm

Help raise your metabolism. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn all day long.
    Strengthen bones, especially important for women
    Make you stronger and increase muscular endurance
    Help you avoid injuries
    Increase your confidence and self-esteem
    Improve coordination and balance
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Riding an exercycle is easy on your knees and can be great exercise. So, this was my go-to exercise when I was over 300. Not all exercycles allow someone over 300 lbs, but some do so just check before you buy one.