Indian food & dieting!

Options
Tomorrow night I am going out for a friends birthday (so no choice in destination!) and she's decided she wants to go out for a curry at the local Indian.

I 'have' 1530 calories a day allowed plus whatever exercise I do - I should be able to get another 2-300 walking the dog on a particularly hilly walk near us (Endomondo tracked) but I am at work all day and then obviously out in the evening for the curry.

What do I pick?! To complicate things (in my head) Friday morning is my weigh day anyway so I'm not expecting a loss this week ( :sadface: ) I'm not vegetarian but have no issues with picking vegetarian dishes but I don't like fish. I rarely ever have Indian (and in my fat days would have a birihani/peshwari naan/chicken passanda to have over a couple of days) so I need to be careful I don't go mad! - Esp as I've only been on MFP a few weeks and I don't quite trust my 'diet head' in public yet.

Since last Friday I've been 63cals(fri)/320c/291c/295c/756c/so far today 168cal under my totals and dinner is already counted so 'theoretically' I do have spare calories to eat but I don't want to over eat the day before I weigh myself - plus I do need to educate myself in how to eat out while on a diet!

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Bump this up for you :wink:
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Get whatever you want and eat approx one cup of it plus one cup of rice if it comes with rice, then log it in. Life is too short to not enjoy a little Indian food! I personally think salmon madras is the best. Have fun!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I suspect if you stick with tandoori chicken a vegetable curry and serving of rice your calorie count won't be ballistic (just stay away from naan - which I love - something like 500 cal for a 160g serving :sad: )
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm going for an Indians tonight and thinking of having a Thali the one I like is tandoori chicken, prawns & lamb and a small portion of tikka masala with plain pilau rice. Haven't decided on starter yet. I know I'll want poppadoms but will stick to only 1 and a beer or two.

Ive managed to do a cycle ride & 20min kettle bells to boost my 1250 cals & had home made soup for lunch. If the weather is kind we'll walk giving us a 3m walk as well. After that I'll enjoy myself & work hard rest of week - typically I had a meal out on both Friday & Saturday so it's been lots of exercise & trying to keep cals right other days.

I'll try to post what I have as I'll be looking for healthier options shame there not a generic calorie database for eating out.

Enjoy
  • lisaslim1976
    lisaslim1976 Posts: 145
    Options
    Tikka chicken/prawn
    boiled rice
    chapati not naan
    madras isnt too bad either :-)
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    No expert at this at all, but I DO like Indian food.

Obviously rice is low calorie and you can have as much of that as you like (more or less), so a biryani would be a good idea. Aside from that you can have grilled marinated meats (tandoori) as they are also relatively low calorie. Must curries are reasonable in their calorific content, but you need to avoid ones which are made with yoghurt / cream such as roghan josh and also avoid (obviously) any deep fried things such as samosas and pakoras. Chicken curries would - I think - be lower calorie than beef, pork or lamb.

Peshwari naans are apparently quite high calories, so a popadom would be a better choice.

As long as you dont eat the fried stuff, the high in dairy stuff or nanns, then I dont think you will be too bad at all. I eat a lot of curries and I'm a long way from fat. DOnt forget you get a "slight" metabolism increase from cayenne / chilli, so if you are REALLY worried (and you shouldnt be) then get the hottest curry you can manage :)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Kaddu Ki Sabzi (pumpkin curry)
    Masala Dal (red lentils)
    Tandoori Chicken (breast) but don’t eat the sauce
    Mutter Paneer (cheese and peas)
  • lisaslim1976
    Options
    "Obviously rice is low calorie " ----not really -
    An average portion of indian boiled rice is about 240 cals per cup (cooked)
    And byriani is fried in Ghee!!! Noooooo!!!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Yeah, stay away from the white rice! Totally not low calorie!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd go for something tandoori and skip the rice.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    "Obviously rice is low calorie " ----not really -
    An average portion of indian boiled rice is about 240 cals per cup (cooked)
    And byriani is fried in Ghee!!! Noooooo!!!

Boiled rice (basmati) is much lower in calories than you state. My father, who worked in the medical field for 40+ years used to prescribe it to patients who needed to lose weight fast. It is almost impossible to over eat on rice as it makes you feel full quite quickly. Its listed as a "fantastic food for dieting" on most dieting websites.

The biryani's I cook aren't fried in ghee at all. You cook the rice and contents in the oven with the rice. Cooking them in ghee would be disgusting.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't freak out about it at all and have what I wanted. It's not like you go out for Indian food every day of the week. One evening will not mess up your weight loss for the week. I simply refuse to give up some of the stuff I really, truly enjoy.

1 Cup of rice is about 200 calories. Some will depend on the type of rice, the grain, and what it is cooked in. A basic medium to long grain rice boiled in water should be 200-210 calories for that cup.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Oh and a 4oz serving of rice (which is more than enough for 1 person, I serve 8 oz for 3) is approx 140 calories, so I fail to see why you should avoid it, especially as its much lower calories than anything else that will be available in the restaurant and will make you feel full.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Indian food! If I lived there, I'd be as big as a house because I don't think I could stay away from naan. I know this won't help you tonight, but here's a link to a calorie friendly Chicken Masala recipe. It's so easy, just throw the ingredients in a crock pot and let it cook.
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-chicken-masala/
  • lisaslim1976
    Options
    Oh and a 4oz serving of rice (which is more than enough for 1 person, I serve 8 oz for 3) is approx 140 calories, so I fail to see why you should avoid it, especially as its much lower calories than anything else that will be available in the restaurant and will make you feel full.

Ok im wrong
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The rice, the nan, and the creamier sauces are what will get you.

Choose a dish with more meat and veg content than sauce. Or even with no sauce at all (like a meat skewer).
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    order your favorite and enjoy it! :) can't have a lifestyle change without treats every so often!

order it and split it, or order it and immediately box half. :)
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    some tips would be:
    share a starter and get a side salad to help fill you up
    just have 1 poppadom if they bring them over, as not very filling and quite salty so make you more thirsty/retain water
    lentil dishes such as tarka dahl can be quite healthy maybe ask for it to be made without/less ghee/oil if possibleand have it with plain boiled rice but watch portion sizes
    a dry chicken or vegetable dish would be ok too,
    stick to water/low calorie drinks if you can to avoid extra unnecessary cals, :)
  • roxerella
    roxerella Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food and have it quite often. The best option is tandoori or tikka–chicken (1 tandoori thigh 230 cals) (5 piece s of tikka 180 cals). These are both dry dishes, just the meat marinated in spice and baked in the tandoor oven. Avoid the rice or go for half a portion of steamed rice. Biryani and other types are fried in ghee-high cal. A side of spinach (Saag bhaji) is a safe option. Half a cup is approx 175 cals.

If you really want something saucy make sure it is tomato based not cream/coconut. A madras and rogan josh are approx 450 cals per portion. where as a cream based korma is more like 650 per portion.
  • squirrleydoodle
    squirrleydoodle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    order your favorite and enjoy it! :) can't have a lifestyle change without treats every so often!

order it and split it, or order it and immediately box half. :)

^this!! indian food is tooooo delicious!!!