Juice Fast

Options
Hey I just watched a documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.. It really inspired me. It is about an overweight male who drank only "mean green" juice for 90 days, and after he was done, he was off all of his medication, healthier than ever, and lost over 90 pounds.

Does anybody have experience with this? To do, or not to do? (not for 90 days, it only takes 10 days to detox your system)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Your kidneys, bowels and liver do a fine job of "detoxing" your system. That is what they are designed to do- self cleanse. A juice fast isn't going to get rid of any toxins they aren't already taking care of.

Eat real foods (produce, meats, not boxed stuff) and not too much of them. Your body will be healthier for it than any cleanse or detox you can throw at it.
  • DeterminedAshley
    DeterminedAshley Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the honest feedback, I appreciate it :)
    I wasn't planning on doing it...but he got doctor approval so I figured it was A-OK.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You could potentially get the same results if you just ate super clean.
  • melisabee
    melisabee Posts: 19
    Options
    Juicing is great for you, just check out Jack Lalanne, who juiced his whole life and was super healthy. I saw the movie, too, and it is very inspirational. I first heard about it a year ago when someone on a message board I am on did a 12 day fast. It made a huge difference in the way she felt, she lost weight and she and her entire family have been juicing ever since. I know other people, as well, who have done it and garnered better health because of it. I think the plan that the two men did was great for them because they needed to lose 100 lbs +. Other than that, you could always do a short juice fast, then incorporate juicing into your daily meal plans.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary. Juicing is just a way to reduce your calories. You can do that without having to juice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I drink fresh vegetable juice almost every morning and think it has a very positive effect on my health. I feel better, I went from getting sick often to never getting sick, etc... I would recommend it! I did do juice only for a few days and felt amazing during that time! I generally don't think people should not eat real food but I was up for doing a few days and then slowly adding fresh food slowly. If you have specific questions I would be glad to try and answer them. Good luck!
  • Madalynne
    Madalynne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing a juice fast. I'm on my 8th day of nothing but fruit and vegetable juice.
    A juice fast is not a long term solution, but for me, it is a retraining of my body. I'm definitely a food addict, and like other forms of addiction, I need to remove myself completely from my substance of choice (food) before I can retrain myself to make better choices in the future.
    Not chewing food has brought to the forefront what an emotional pull all kinds of food has on me, which is the #1 contributing factor to my weight (SW was over 260lbs). When I finish, I can't go back to my old ways, but instead I'm committed to eating much more balanced than I ever have before.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hey I just watched a documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.. It really inspired me. It is about an overweight male who drank only "mean green" juice for 90 days, and after he was done, he was off all of his medication, healthier than ever, and lost over 90 pounds.

Does anybody have experience with this? To do, or not to do? (not for 90 days, it only takes 10 days to detox your system)

The body cleanses itself. Fasts are not necessary, although there are theories that it helps to give the body a rest from digestion several hours a day. The benefit of this diet is its simplicity. If you can get a healthy version, doctor's approval, and are going to do it only for 10 days, I say, why not?
  • Proalina
    Proalina Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did it for a week, to kick start my diet. It was hard for two days. I realized how attached I am to chewing on something :( however it did make me feel much better, lighter. My body felt better and I felt better about my self. It's great to do it with organic produce.. But it does get a bit pricey. I'd say go for it. It won't hurt you ;)
  • sugarbro
    sugarbro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've done versions of juice fasts but only for a couple days, right before starting a diet. I know they can be dangerous if taken to extremes and done for too long because of the low calorie intake and lack of vitamins/ nutrients. I usually do it at the beginning of a diet to cleanse out my system. And this might be just me, but I feel that my stomach (as in the organ, not belly) does shrink a little from the low calorie intake, which makes it easier to stay on track on healthy eating and my diet.

Basically though, super low calorie intake is a short way to lose weight but since your body goes into fasting mode, it is super easy to gain it back. I actually had a month where i couldn't eat much because I had to have my gallbladder removed (lots of pain). i lost almost 15 lbs in that month but then gained half of it back very fast after i started eating normally. So heads up on those fasting diets.

And I'm sure lots of you have heard this all before, but its my first time posting :) good luck!