1900 calorie binge last night /early morning

Options
SO about 2 am I woke up and could NOT go back to sleep and I made the mistake of walking to the kitchen. That turned into a 1900 calorie binge and I have inputted that as my breakfast today. I am trying a low carb kind of diet. My carbs are in the 100's today from that binge and my calories are over. Any suggestions on what to do today? I was thinking of just drinking a lot of water and maybe eating a salad later tonight and not allowing m self back in the kitchen until tomorrow!

Thanks

Sam

Replies

• CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Hey Sam - I'm not sure what you do today, but I have to say that I'm incredibly impressed that you logged the binge and aren't using it as an excuse to throw the day away. Focus on the good stuff - you're obviously motivated to do this! :smile:
  • rochelle6210
    rochelle6210 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would just start doing your meals as if you never binged. Don't try to overcompensate. I've been on MFP since mid April and have binged probably 3 times since then. (about 4000 calories), but I go right back on track. I don't allow any snack food in our home, so I binge other places. We are so tuned to eating for comfort that I think as long as we can stay busy, we won't miss food as much. Hope this helps a litlle. Even if you gained a pound from your binge last night, it will just as easily come off.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Great job being honest and logging it! Water well help, especially if what you eat had lots of sodium. If you are worried about the numbers, maybe of the next week, cut your calories like 200 a day. That will make up 1400 of the 1900 you binged. All in all, it is not going to derail your progress. You are already eating at a deficit and you would need to consume your deficit PLUS 3500 to gain a pound. Just move on from it and keep doing what you were doing before :)
  • leea022002
    leea022002 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Sam, I started working out yesterday at the gym and the trainer gave me a lot of good things to look at he also told me to eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours i've heard this before but never tried this but I did this yesterday and now today and I love it. And he also told me not to eat till I feel full to stop before that. I've been drinking a gallon of water a day and lots of fruits and veggies and lean meats. If you fall off just brush it off and keep on moving :) Good luck!!!
  • HeatherHoskins
    HeatherHoskins Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think skipping meals will really wack out your sugars and hormones. Stick to veggies and light stuff but def eat!!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym this evening and work off as much as possible. Go for a walk...etc etc

Oh and of course eat light for the rest of the day :D
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself to make up for it, you need to eat! Chug some water, eat your meals as planned, get in a workout, and move on. It happens to us all :-)
  • gainess
    gainess Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting in a good cardio workout to burn some calories! Kuddos to you for logging and being honest with yourself! That's amazing!! Also, I agree with other posts.. Continue your day as normal. Drink lots of water, consume veggies and fruits and again get a good cardio workout in! Most importantly just move forward and get back on track. Trust me I have my binge days every once in a while but the key is to get back on track and don't continue to binge. Good luck!
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would just start doing your meals as if you never binged. Don't try to overcompensate. I've been on MFP since mid April and have binged probably 3 times since then. (about 4000 calories), but I go right back on track. I don't allow any snack food in our home, so I binge other places. We are so tuned to eating for comfort that I think as long as we can stay busy, we won't miss food as much. Hope this helps a litlle. Even if you gained a pound from your binge last night, it will just as easily come off.
    ^^what she said! if you try to overcompensate then you will end up doing it again because you feel like you didnt eat all day. That has happened to me many times. And you are def. motivated and true to logging your calories. whatever you MAY have gained is seriously going to come right off i promise you. Also...this could actually jump start more weight loss because your tricking your metabolism. I would stick to eating things like grilled chicken breast with veggies for dinner...snacks like veggies, greek yogurt, some fruit, etc. Your going to be just fine. Just accept what happened and know you cant change what has been done. You can only learn from this and do better next time by remembering how it made you feel after the binge. BEST of luck to you! :)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Thats not a binge, thats a few "looseners" before the party starts. Fear not, just go again today
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Ugh, I know the feeling. My advice it to just exercise as much as possible and try to eat a little lighter than you usually do today, but if you try to not eat much at all I find you end up in a binge cycle, because you wake up hungry in the middle of the night. I think the best part is that you logged it. To me the key is just logging everything, no matter how much you go over. Today is a new day.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    carry on as normal. if you starve yourself your body will crave another binge.
    just chalk it up to eperience. it'll only set your progress back few days.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    SO about 2 am I woke up and could NOT go back to sleep and I made the mistake of walking to the kitchen. That turned into a 1900 calorie binge and I have inputted that as my breakfast today. I am trying a low carb kind of diet. My carbs are in the 100's today from that binge and my calories are over. Any suggestions on what to do today? I was thinking of just drinking a lot of water and maybe eating a salad later tonight and not allowing m self back in the kitchen until tomorrow!

Thanks

Sam

Sam, my biggest worry for you right now is the low carb diet. I'll explain it the way I explain it to my patients:

Carbohydrate is like gasoline for a car. It is our body's preferred fuel source. There are other things that can be used for energy (aka: fat and protein) like a car that runs on electricity or biofuel, but they're not as efficiently used.

Essentially, if our body wants to use fat and protein for energy, it has to work REALLY hard to break them down...and that may sound like a good thing, but it's not. It produces a bi-product called ketones. Ketones can actually make you quite sick and feel fatigued.

You're better off eating a balanced diet than trying to restrict carbohydrates.

As far as what to do today, Don't starve yourself until tonight-that's setting yourself up for failure. Eat light. Egg whites, veggies (Salad's not a bad idea) and maybe light carbohydrates like fresh fruit or whole grain toast or something. Like others said, you are awesome for actually logging it and not just giving up on the rest of the day. Keep truckin'-we're all the same boat.
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing yesterday! By 3pm I had eaten around 1600 calories. My solution was to haul butt at the gym.
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would go for a long walk 1 and 2 water all day and salad for dinner.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Just eat a reasonable amount today and adjust your calories for the rest of the week accordingly. Viewing your food intake as a weekly rather than daily thing allows for stuff like this, for social events etc. where you have to eat stuff you normally wouldn't, etc.
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat light for the rest of the day: lots of veggies and drink water. Also maybe try and fit in a work out but don't punish yourself for it, one binge isn't going to reverse all your hard work. . It's good that you've logged it & are keeping yourself accountable :)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Chances are if you only have light meals for the rest of the day and exercise lightly you could still only hit maintenance calories or slightly over by the end of today. Go for a long walk, eat small meals but don't starve yourself or else you'll be tempted to binge again.

Finally, is low carb really for you? I eat carbs and in 4 months have never felt the need to binge. Could it just be your body craving what you won't give it?
  • suzanne_oh
    suzanne_oh Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Thanks

Sam

Hey Sam,

I had a late night binge myself and I also logged it in (about 600 calories over my daily goal). The night before I also ate too much. I'm just trying to keep busy today, plan out my food and stick to it, drink more water and hope to go under my calories and increase exercise the rest of the week to make up for the 2 "bad days" I had. You should probably still eat normally and just try to cut calories from each day for the rest of the week.

We just have to keep on going and remember that this is a long term change that will have ups and downs.

Best wishes!
  • sam1320
    sam1320 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you all so much for these answers. I agree that low card is probably not right for me .. I am going to increase my carbs but make sure they are only whole grain carbs and fruits and vegetables, just keep the starchy carbs out. I'm gonna go on the treadmill and go for a swim this evening to try and get some cardio in and then do some leg weights. Hoping the same does not occur again anytime soon - it is this that always causes me to fall off the wagon and end up actually gaining weight.