Overcoming the desire for in the moment pleasure

Options
I know this is about personal power, but I'm stuck.

I'm realizing I have a pervasive problem of not sticking with my own plans in most areas of my life. I want to get up at a certain time but then I sleep late. On the first day of my diet, Whole foods set out a free piece of fresh pizza and I ate it. This is no small thing for me. I would say this part of me is in control and is motivated by in-the-moment pleasure. I feel like I can guide things in a better direction like a parent but the child is going to do what it wants. When I direct my attention to something else the lack of attention and structure is going to be an environment for in-the-moment pleasure to win out.

I used to be a competitive runner and I developed the discipline to run everyday. I think that I succeeded because it fits well with my obsessive compulsive single minded nature. I see that I can be that way about diet too but I feel like I'm limited to one area of focus in my life at a time but I've got some higher priority things going on that need most of my attention.

Maybe my situation sums up the whole weight loss problem and this is what we all wrestle with.

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• Absam2
    Absam2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hold strong my dear, Just take it one step at a time. I can identify with you I'm in the same situation but is learning to discipline myself
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think this concept sums up my major obstacle to good weight control as well. My life is extremely stressful (whose isn't, really--I get that) and I just want what I want when I want it. I may have had a cookie at school, then if the family suggests ice cream, I don't think, "Oh, it's too bad you already had a cookie--you will have to skip the ice cream." I think, "Yum!" I am also a former distance runner (still do a half every so often, but I have hung up the 26.2 shoes), and I find it interesting that I have not been able to apply the discipline that had me sometimes heading out for nine miles at 9 p.m., just because that was what was scheduled for that day and that was the only time to fit it in, to eating well. I sleep in or screw around on the internet in the morning until I don't have enough time to prep good food for the day, so I have to buy food at the school or hospital cafeteria (nursing school), where it is far from guaranteed that I will make good choices if something else looks tasty and is cheap. Sorry I don't have answers for you--I am currently in a place where I am trying harder. I consider myself something of a badass in most areas of my life, so it's embarrassing that I can't follow through with food. Friend me if you want--we'll see if we can't figure it out.