I feel like i'm melting away!

Options
Okay, I started taking this life change serious on May 16th. It is July 4th and I am down 23 pounds. Is this me losing weight too fast and too soon? I eat between 1200-1450 calories a day and just started working out twice a week. I am not whining about losing weight so fast because I love the results but I am concerned about my health and also I don't want too much loose skin from losing so quickly.

Replies

• robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That seems pretty quick- great loss though. You may want to check with an MD about this as it does seem pretty fast.
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well you have 165 lbs to lose, which probably means that right now you are well over your "normal" weight..so I think that's normal weight loss..it will even out as you get smaller.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Skin tightens up in time. How much weight do you have to lose? It'll probably slow down on its own. Over 3 lbs/week is pretty fast. Has it slowed some already?
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    If you were really overweight like I was, the fat and weight will melt off for the first few months. You will hit a point where you plateau and the scale wont budge. If you were at a healthy-ish weight when you started, see a doc.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    nice weight loss, keep it up, and normally the weight come off fast at the begining so its ok, its also because you've changed your diet
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    when you've got a lot to lose, it all comes off fairly quickly at first if you're doing everything right! i had similar fears when i first started losing, but if you're eating/exercising correctly, then just relish in the quick loss of poundage! :) it will mellow out eventually. congrats on the loss so far, by the way!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My first 15lbs seemed to melt of quickly when I first started and then it evened out and I'm losing at a slower (but good for me) rate now.

If it doesn't start to even out or you are truly concerned then definitely go and see your doctor.
  • scol14
    scol14 Posts: 19
    Options
    Good for you! Enjoy your rapid weigh loss now. You are young so if you stick with the program you will have faster results, although your progress will slow down the closer you get to goal!
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    Nah, that sounds normal enough to me, hon. Did you lose 'a lot' of weight the first week? That happens sometimes, it's often water weight and your body being a little shocked at the change in diet/calories/exercise. Keep at it, you're doing great!
  • cryshelle247
    cryshelle247 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    girl im actually jealous. lol it depends on how much you weigh when ur a little heavier the weight just seems to melt off way more faster and your burning more calories then a smaller person. trust me when i got on the step master in the gym i was on it for 2 minutes and burned 14 calories because of the weight i am . as u begin to lose more weight u will hit an stand still where it seems like u arent losing any so dont freak out to much when that happens
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think it is pretty normal to lose at that rate when you are young. Plus if you have a lot weight to get rid of it always seems to come off a little faster at first. I know the first 15 or so pounds really seem to come off fast for me, which helped to keep me motivated. It is slowing down now, but since March I have lost 45 lbs.

Just about any change in diet and exercise will help in the beginning.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's anything to worry about based on what you've said so far. Has the rate of loss changed at all? I would expect you to be losing 2-3 lbs per week at this point vs 4-5-6+ in the first few weeks.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    8 years ago I was 50 pounds overweight, went on weight watchers and lost 14 pounds in the first week, took me 6 months to lose the full 50, with no working out at all. Also, you are "young", like I was... sigh.
  • Sheenamarie1221
    Options
    I wouldn't worry yourself too much! Be happy! :happy: I started May 6th (a little earlier than you) and and have lost 21lbs. I have a good 60+ lbs to go before my BMI is in the "normal" range. If I wouldn't have been slackin the past couple wks, I probably could've lost another 5 or so. So, yeah, everybody's right, it all depends on how much you have to lose. As long as your doing it the healthy way, you're good. It will get harder, the more you lose, but you're on a roll. Congratulations! :drinker:
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    I wouldn't be too worried about it. When I first started making adjustments in what I ate and working out I lost alot pretty quickly, like 25 lbs in about 1 1/2 months, but the weight loss slowed and it tapered off over time. I think that's pretty normal if your body wasn't really used to the changes you made.

13784785.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! When you see results, it makes it so much easier to keep up the regime :)

I wouldn't worry abut losing too quick. It happens at the beginning and will likely slow down soon. Keep up the good work!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the fast loss....it will slow as you start to weigh less, you will also burn less cals from your work-outs which I found particularly annoying! ; )

You're going great though, so I say carry on as you are and well done! xxxx
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    As others have said, if you have a lot of extra weight the initial loss will be fairly quick if you eat well and work out. You may want to see a doctor in any case, since it's a good idea to embark on a serious weight loss plan with medical advice and some discussion of the nutrition you should aim for.

Congrats on the great start, and good luck. :)