I'm getting bummed out because of a little injury

Options
I want so badly to go out walking and stuff like I used to, but last week I hurt my knee pretty bad. I thought I just sprained it, started feeling better, so yesterday I went for a short walk with my kids, pulling them in their wagon. My road is pretty hilly too, ups and downs, I figured it might help my knee, get a little exercise.

Last night right before I went to bed, it started hurting so much more, today it's swollen and bringing me to tears.

I've got no insurance, so I've been putting off going to the clinic because they'll treat me like crap like they do to people with no insurance around here, at least. Basically, I'm just getting bummed out that I can't exercise like I want to, I don't even know what exercise I can do that won't involve my leg.

:cry:

Replies

• uncanny_sword
    Options
    I understand how injuries suck. I've had a couple that put me out of commission. I would of course tell you to go to the clinic, but you said you can't so here is my suggestion.

Until it stops hurting RICE (Rest, ice compression, elevation) Take ibiprofin (but never before exercise, as it numbs the pain)
    Don't think about running or walking for now. Give it a few days-you won't get out of shape in that amount of time. If it is a simple overuse injury, like runner's knee or patellar tendonitis, it should stop hurting so much rest. If it stops hurting try swimming (if possible) or biking (if possible.) They don't put as much weight on the joints. If it still hurts after a week, seriously consider going to the clinic even if they treat you like crap if just to get an x-ray. If it is a stress fracture or a torn ligament, you don't want to exacerbate the problem.
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    I understand how injuries suck. I've had a couple that put me out of commission. I would of course tell you to go to the clinic, but you said you can't so here is my suggestion.

Until it stops hurting RICE (Rest, ice compression, elevation) Take ibiprofin (but never before exercise, as it numbs the pain)
    Don't think about running or walking for now. Give it a few days-you won't get out of shape in that amount of time. If it is a simple overuse injury, like runner's knee or patellar tendonitis, it should stop hurting so much rest. If it stops hurting try swimming (if possible) or biking (if possible.) They don't put as much weight on the joints. If it still hurts after a week, seriously consider going to the clinic even if they treat you like crap if just to get an x-ray. If it is a stress fracture or a torn ligament, you don't want to exacerbate the problem.

I fell directly on it last week. Rushing around bringing my pregnant cat to the vet.. lol, I was lugging tired out of my mom's car which I had to borrow, and my ankle just twisted oddly, made me fall, and I landed on my poor knee. I think I bruised the bone, I figured it was just a sprain and getting a little exercise walking would help. I was wronggggg.. It's near impossible for me to really rest anyway, my two little ones keep me busy busy busy.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    RICE as above and I personally would put a support on it for getting around at the moment.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had a stress fracture in my knee a week after I began my journey to loose weight in late March. I've learned a lot about that since.

You are getting good advice with RICE. And, as iron animal said, get some support. A knee brace/sleeve is great. An ace bandage would help, too.

If it's been a week, and it's getting worse, it might be time to give up, and head in to see a Doc.

Please don't wait too long. I took too long. I ended up with a blood clot, because I tried to rest too much. I favored it when I was walking, and now my spine and hip are out of alignment, and I have troubles trying to walk, cuz I'm still trying to limp. I'm now having physical therapy to learn how to walk again.

Good luck to you! Happily, you have age on your side, and you will bounce back soon! No matter what it turns out to be, it could always be worse!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i get muscle spasms in my knee,but I did go to the doctor. RX was Motrin 800 mg and muscle relaxers. That worked for me
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,228 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! Just as I had worked up to a great level of exercise, first I got a strain in the IT Band, then a meniscus tear because I did not go step-by-step.

The first injury was getting better due to good physiotherapy (there is good info on the web if you can't see someone) then I was feeling so much better I overdid it.

Now I'm having to concentrate on upper body, back and abs, which is not a bad thing! Find what you can work on while you rest the hurt part. Get a professional opinion if at all possible, and follow the previous advice to ICE, REST, etc. Don't stop altogether if doing some exercise (gentle) helps.

I hope it goes all right. Don't make the mistake I did and overdo just because it feels a tad better. Keep healing first.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Twisting and falling on it.....that' not an overuse injury like tendonitis or a stress fracture. RICE as already mentioned and get a neoprene sleeve brace (like the ones you see in Wal-Mart, target, etc) with a cutout opening for the knee cap. That will give some compression and help stabilize the joint in the short term. Fluid swelling will obscure any small bone cracks that could be picked up on an x-ray and also cloud the results of an MRI for any soft tissue damage (ligament, tendon, cartilage tear) so you need to give it a few days to a week with minimal activity to let the swelling go down.

Hope it's just a sprain, but mentally prepare yourself for a trip to the clinic in a week.