30 Day Shred Problems

Options
I am enjoying this work out but I am finding that when I do the "bouncing" exercises (jumping jacks, jump rope, butt kick) the impact causes loads of pain in my knees. I try to do what I can but usually end up marching really fast in place. Soft impact does not hurt.

Any suggestions, advise on this? Will it still be as good of a work out if I have to modify what I do? Jillian repeatedly says Don't hurt yourself so I am trying not to....

On the upside..we are noticing that we are not totally dead after doing the workout so our bodies are adapting!

Replies

• cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You can modify the jumping jack by stepping out to the side and back instead of jumping and alternate sides. Still bring your arms over your head for the cardio. i have a friend at work that does that because of her knees also.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    agree. There is plenty of ways to modify it as long as you are getting a similar workout. They know not everyone can do every exercise and I believe there are sites that tell you what to do to modify them.
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hate that she says 'even 400 lb people do jumping jacks'. It just rubs me the wrong way. I friend of mine who is a personal trainer had told me, due to past knee surgery, to modify jumping jacks by stepping to the side, switching legs on every jump. Still lift your arms over your head and give as much 'bounce' to the move as you can. You will still burn plenty doing it that way and it's much safer if you're worried at all about your knees.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I hate everything about her attitude and her stupid smirk, but her workouts are effective. Any modification is fine as long as you keep your heart pumping for the duration. I've been known to jog around the living room, flapping my arms like an idiot when she does the sqauts with weights :D
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been known to jog around the living room, flapping my arms like an idiot when she does the sqauts with weights :D

Was that before or after the Tequila :laugh:
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Im doing the shred too and have knee troubles, I do the jacks but the skipping hurts so what i do, i kinda swing back n forth from one leg to another, skipping but not the bouncing way. My knees also start to hurt in the lunges. Ive done the routine tonight and now my knee is hurting when i go upstairs.
  • rainbowbandit
    rainbowbandit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do the shred too and my knees often hurt. I do a "modified jumping jack/bounce" by bouncing from foot to foot instead of bringing both feet up/down together.
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I attempted the 30 Day Shred a lil over a year ago, and quit because it hurt my knees so bad....and I'm not even classified as overweight...nor have I ever had knee problems before....She has a super effective workout if you can stand her, but I personally can NOT stand her....so ultimately I decided to get a program that was not a killer on my knees with a trainer I actually like :) GOOD LUCK
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've been known to jog around the living room, flapping my arms like an idiot when she does the sqauts with weights :D

Was that before or after the Tequila :laugh:

:laugh:
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I hate everything about her attitude and her stupid smirk, but her workouts are effective. Any modification is fine as long as you keep your heart pumping for the duration. I've been known to jog around the living room, flapping my arms like an idiot when she does the sqauts with weights :D

That's exactly what I do when if I find a move to hard or don't have enough room. I used to not be able to do the jump rope. I really didn't want my double D's smacking me in the face. Now, I actually like doing those.

Edit: also, she says in level 2, you can make the moves as hard as you want them or as easy as you want them.
  • deineira
    deineira Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cathe Friedrich has an awesome Low Impact series for people who cannot do high impact exercise. You may want to check that out. It has several workouts in the series. They are very challenging, fun and burn a ton of calories without the impact.
  • vsusan
    vsusan Posts: 1
    Options
    When i first started the 30 day shred my knees were hurting me too. Then I realized that I was extending my knees over the top of my toes when doing the other exercises. She told me not to on the dvd, but I did not take her seriously. When I stopped extending my knee over my toes, my knee pain stopped. Also make sure you are wearing shoes. Of course it could be the jumping jacks that are causing your pain as well. I just wanted to share that with you. Keep up the good work.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    30 day shred is really hard on the knees agreed.

I don't have problems with the cardio stuff, it was the lunges and squats that were killng my knees! But after doing a different workout dvd with a different instructor, I realised my form was wrong. I wasn't put most of my weight on my heels, so not going back enough, which I guess meant I was putting too much stress on my knees. :embarassed:

I agree with other posters here, modify the moves to work for you, or if it really is too much, maybe it isn't for you and you should try something else less impact! Good luck with whatever you decide :happy:
  • jadedbutterfly71
    jadedbutterfly71 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The first time I did 30 DS, my knees hurt terribly. I started taking glucosamine/chondroitin...no more knee pain. I'm doing the shred again, 2nd time...and have had no knee issues. I know alot of people don't like Jillian, but I love her, and have most of her dvd's. I also started working out barefoot, which alot of people say is wrong to do, but it works for me. Good luck, and I hope your knees feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Cathe Friedrich has an awesome Low Impact series for people who cannot do high impact exercise. You may want to check that out. It has several workouts in the series. They are very challenging, fun and burn a ton of calories without the impact.

Good to know, I also have knee problems and wear my knee brace when I work out. I am always looking for something new though.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Also make sure you are wearing shoes.

Very sound advice! I also made that mistake at the start!! Now I wear running shoes!
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I was using the 30 day shred, I had similar problems. I double checked to make sure my shoes were in good shape, gave good support and were tied properly. I actually had to switch shoes, and that helped a bit. I also got knee supports (the stretchy kind with the hole over the kneecap) and that REALLY helped the 2nd time through the program. The 1st time I tried the 30 day shred, I got to the point where after my workouts I could barely climb stairs and I would get to a certain point when sitting down that I had drop the last bit to the chair. I was told that many people don't get strong muscles all the way around their knees, and eventually those muscles would strengthen, but I wanted to support them while I got them to the point where I didn't need the supports any more, which eventually happened.

Also, on days that really sucked, I just bounced, bending my knees and not actually leaving the floor. Her comments about 400lb people doing jumping jacks make me want to hurt her as well.