Pop-Tarts...wtf?!

Options
I found a Pop-Tart at my Mom's house and wanted to eat it, so I did. As I entered it in to MFP, I was surprised to see what little devils these things actually are. ONE Pop-Tart (and who just eats one out of the 2 per package?) has 200 calories. Since I ate both, it was 400 calories, 14g fat, and like 40g of carbs or something terrible like that. They created these things for children; no wonder kids are getting progressively more obese over time--they are eating foods with no nutritional value at all. I bet those tarts have no vitamins and minerals either, so basically I just ate cardboard with a heavy caloric punch. :explode: :grumble: :noway:

Replies

• sara1786
    sara1786 Posts: 101
    Options
    yes and depending the flavor they may have more. i often wonder why they package things in sets of two, make both of them a serving size, and then have the calories be so high. Sometimes I don't understand how they determine serving sizes-- especially when the calories are so high. Can't think of a good example right now....
  • JUICRC
    JUICRC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yea they are BAD. So if I crave them I eat them for dinner!!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing! I was shopping with my grandma and was hungry so went to a gas station went for the poptart - misread the lable ( I looked at the cals from fat ) and then screamed WTF as I was entering it in!
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Yup and Pillsbury Toaster strudle are just as bad and (the ones filled with eggs bacon and cheese are like a calorie nightmare too) :noway:
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thats why I keep that crap out of the house. Breakfast for the kids would be cereal or fruit. Pop Tarts are evil. lol
  • nisku
    nisku Posts: 6
    Options
    haha, thank you all for putting a smile on my face. Luckily those don't exist here, because I used to eat those for breakfast all the time.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I hate that they are so high in calorie, and so delicious. I actually made a deal with my mom to not bring them in the house (or hide them at least =) ) if not I will eat them. like 4 in a row. lol
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I don't buy poptarts, I never actually looked at the back, but I knew just by looking at them that they were probably a bad idea to buy.
  • boomersooner806
    Options
    I know!! I couldn't believe it once I started watching what I ate, I saw how many calories were in each and about had a cow! It was ridiculous and I LOVE 'em!!! Dad-gum poptarts. :grumble:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    At a certain point in time, about 10 years ago, I stopped even buying them for my kids.. BLECCCHHHH !!!
  • a00link
    Options
    Weirdly enough, the Strawberry ones with the icing, are better for you than the ones without the icing. Check the labels, but somehow the difference is in the icing's favor.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You are so right Pop-Tarts just aren't WORTH that many calories and fat. But it does bring up something that pertains to the 2 to a package. I always look at the serving size. Even on something that appears to be only 1 serving (that really gets ya on some of these packages). Buyer beware, right.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Haha Pop-Tarts are def evil. I remember in high school I would eat them all the time...and Toaster Strudel!!! WAHHHHHH oh those days! I love the cinnamon roll Pop-Tarts :p neverrrrr again!
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    OMG I love those things. I know they aren't "good" for you but were they good? I am living vicariously through you right now. *drool* LOL
    :blushing:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A pop tart is basically a big cookie...so I'm surprised one only has 200 calories. :tongue: That's not bad for a big cookie, right?
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Haha Pop-Tarts are def evil. I remember in high school I would eat them all the time...and Toaster Strudel!!! WAHHHHHH oh those days! I love the cinnamon roll Pop-Tarts :p neverrrrr again!

ohhhh I love toaster strudel!!! Especially the strawberry and cream cheese...yummers!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    It was pretty tasty...I put it in the toaster so it had those crispy corners that I love :love:

I guess it is like a big cookie. 200 is pretty good for that, but I don't like to start out the day with a plate of cookies :laugh: I wish I could restrain myself to only eat 1, but then the other would get stale and I would still be hungry. When I was younger, my family would put squeeze butter on the Pop-Tarts so I can't imagine how bad those were. It's a wonder I wasn't an obese child...guess all that playing outside paid off then!
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    take a piece or two of bread. I prefer the baker yoga bread. Toast it. mix some walden farms calorie free apple-butter jelly with a little water and a scoop of protein powder in a bowl.. and use it as a fruit icing to pour on the toast and enjoy. Muscle Tarts:bigsmile:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    that shocked me too when I started tracking!!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    take a piece or two of bread. I prefer the baker yoga bread. Toast it. mix some walden farms calorie free apple-butter jelly with a little water and a scoop of protein powder in a bowl.. and use it as a fruit icing to pour on the toast and enjoy. Muscle Tarts:bigsmile:

sounds yummy.