Should I weigh myself yet?

Options
I started my boot camp and diet changes last Monday. I am on the fence about weighing myself in fear that it will deter me from trying if I'm not seeing any results. What do you think? Does it hurt or help you?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, whether I think I'm up or down. But remember, we often retain water when starting a new exercise regime (sore muscles absorb water to help them heal) so if you're worried a rise in the numbers or no change will make you quit then it might be better to wait another week or so.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly and when I'm being particularly impatient most day :embarassed: but you have to be able to deal with the result, if I see a loss it motivates me to keep going and if I see a gain it kicks my *kitten* to try harder. If you're likely to see a result you don't want and it go against your efforts I'd say leave it to 2 weekly or monthly esp as it may take a while for your body to settle into new fitness & diet regime.

Good luck though and keep up the great work!
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    I personally am in favor of once a week. I get too caught up in the numbers if I do daily weigh ins, and the frustrations of seeing the inevitable increases is too soul-sucking. Go for once a week.
  • shierrarobin
    shierrarobin Posts: 181
    Options
    Well, you shouldn't do anything you think might discourage you. I hardly ever weigh myself. In fact, I had been exercising for upwards of 5 weeks before I weighed myself the first time. And I haven't weighed myself since then (and it's been another 5 weeks :D) It all depends on your own views. If you're afraid it might discourage you, you don't have to weigh yourself. It's all up to you and how you feel. :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned that weighing would be demotivating then no, I would not weigh.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned that weighing would be demotivating then no, I would not weigh.

Totally agree...I do hope you took measurements however, because the scale wont always move butthe inches do...
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think it all comes down to how you view the numbers. If little or no movement will demoralize you then I would weigh in less frequently. Conventional wisdom seems to say once a week but I weigh in daily. If I'm flat or up it motivates me to stay with the program and get it back down. If I'm down, the success is movitation. It's all good.
  • joannaorgovan
    joannaorgovan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a month because I get too discouraged doing it every day. It helps me concentrate more on how I feel.
  • michnforest
    michnforest Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback. I am going to wait until the 2 week mark and then see how I am feeling about it. The curiosity is getting to me. Although, I know not to base everything on numbers. I am focusing on my strength right now, which is getting better :)
  • KimBickel
    KimBickel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Research determined that people who lose 30 or more pounds and keep it off tend to have these three things in common:
    1. They eat breakfast
    2. They workout at home
    3. They weigh themselves regularly.

I say weigh yourself and determine in advance that you won't react in a negative way to the results. Keep your eye on the prize--fitness.