Working out when you're sick

Options
Apparently I got attacked by someone else's germs and the last 2 days I have had a sore throat, stuffy nose, cough and headache.

I just started Insanity this week and today was day 6. Even though yesterday and today I felt like crap, I pushed through and worked very hard doing the workout anyway.

I have a horrible headache right now but I kinda feel like working out made me feel better then I would feel had I not worked out. I don't know...

Is it a bad idea to continue to workout hard like that when you're sick? Or just suck it up and power through it anyway?

Replies

• Rex1612
    Rex1612 Posts: 13
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts?
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    It really is an individual decision based on your symptoms and how you're feeling.
    If your cough is productive and frequent, and interferes with your ability to breathe properly when you're working out, you probably shouldn't work out. If you have difficulty breathing because of the congestion, you may want to tone it down until it improves.
  • Ajessie
    Ajessie Posts: 54
    Options
    I was sick a couple of weeks ago and actually felt better while I was working out. I was EXHAUSTED afterwards (probably from my body fighting infection and working hard at the same time) but still, I felt better. I would say that as long as you feel alright working out then go for it! Just try to pay attention to your body and don't overwork yourself.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting over a cold now. I will say this, getting sick after losing some weight does not feel anywhere near as bad as before.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling ill today so didn't work out. When your body is sick it needs time to rest and fight the illness, so personally I think you should leave the workout until you feel better and maybe just take a gentle walk instead?
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Plus if you have a fever your body is working out all on its own :) win win :)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break and let your body use its energy to fight whatever infection you have. Drinklots of liquids, get healthy and ease back into it. Often time we catch bugs when we begun a rigorous excersise program because resistance goes down a bit until our body adjusts. Insanity is not going anywhere, get well, then get back to it.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i had the flu and did 30 day shred. i was fine.
  • Rex1612
    Rex1612 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate all of them.

I don't think I have a fever, I think it's a head/chest cold. I didn't feel like I was having any problems breathing or anything, the workout was actually (and surprisingly) very good. I pushed really hard and even made progress from day 1.

I worked out this morning and now... I am completely exhausted. I'm sure I'll be fine.. I'm off work for the holiday so I have the rest of the evening to recover.

Thanks everyone. :smile: