Potatoes...are they ok to eat?

Options
I've had a huge craving for potatos lately, and even though I had some french fries last night, I still want just a little more.
I was wondering If tonight for dinner I had a boca burger, some green beans, and half a baked potato, would that be bad?
Should I skip the potato?

Replies

• delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Potatoes are fine to eat! It is what you put on them that makes them unhealthy. Try some picante sauce or salsa instead of bacon bits, cheese, sour cream, and butter :)
  • jgunn81
    jgunn81 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Exactly, potatoes in and of themselves are fine, it's the goodies that get ya..personally, I've switched over to sweet potatoes, i find them more satisfying and I'm not wanting to add much of anything to them, aside from a little cinnamon
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I put salsa and some light sour cream on mine and it is SO SO delicious!! I just make sure I have caloric room for anything I want on it :)
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Exactly, potatoes in and of themselves are fine, it's the goodies that get ya..personally, I've switched over to sweet potatoes, i find them more satisfying and I'm not wanting to add much of anything to them, aside from a little cinnamon

Yes! Sweet potatoes are much more satisfying. They're sweet and have lots of flavor, unlike regular potatoes, so you really don't have to put much of anything on them.
  • Laurielronic
    Laurielronic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Try chopping in cubes and roasting with a little olive oil and some italian spices or spices of your choosing. Love them this way, they get a little crunch to them.
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes!! Potatoes are good for you :) French fries not so much but once in awhile they won't kill you. I eat potatoes many ways some of my favorites is with ranch dressing, a bit of cheddar melted or as one other mentioned salsa/sour cream.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    If you're going to have a potato, have a d*mn potato! Bake it properly in the oven(microwaved spud doesn't compare), and load it up with every creamy, luscious topping your heart desires...just don't do this very often, log the calories, plan for it, and put in some extra sweat equity to pay it off!!

you're welcome:bigsmile:
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so. I just ate 3 with some chili.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    If you're going to have a potato, have a d*mn potato! Bake it properly in the oven(microwaved spud doesn't compare), and load it up with every creamy, luscious topping your heart desires...just don't do this very often, log the calories, plan for it, and put in some extra sweat equity to pay it off!!

I totally agree with Elenathegreat. Have a potato with all the fixings if that is what you want, just do it in moderation!
  • bentwillow
    bentwillow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, potatoes are not really bad, but some are better than others. White potatoes are higher glycemic carbs than red potatoes or sweet potatoes, so we try to eat more of the latter.
  • cara4art
    cara4art Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Even though white potatoes have a higher glycemic(as in spiking blood sugar) index, if you include some protein and a bit of fat with that, you're good! That boca burger should do it for the protein. Half a potato with a little bit of topping is fine - just allow for it in your daily calories. There are any number of ways to prepare potatoes so they're tasty without so much fat as in french fries. Try oven-baked fries with some olive oil spray and herbs for instance - way less fat and really yummy besides. The spray olive oil will add a lot less fat than deep-frying for sure.
    IMO, There's entirely too much carb phobia going on in some circles lately. Sure, if one has blood sugar disorders like insulin resistance, borderline high blood sugar(aka pre-diabetes)or is outright diabetic, then indeed a close eye has to be kept on one's carbs, what type and how to pair them with protein to blunt their effect. Or, if one is getting ready for a fitness/bodybuilding contest or photo shoot where one wants to drop the last bit of fat and subcutaneous water to increase muscle definition - a ow-carb, low-fat diet works really well(not too sustainable though, as that degree of definition is fleeting for most people who actually achieve it). Otherwise, for active people in general, not too many would get too far with their activities without a suitable amount of healthy carbs(spread out between fast-release and slow-release, starchy vs. non-starchy etc.). One has to find the right balance for one's body and health.
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My weakness is potato salad....Yummmm...Go for it! Enjoy the food!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are one of my favorite foods. I eat them all the time. I bake them and eat them with salt and pepper, or I even bake my own potato wedges or potato chips! They're not terrible calorie wise, and even though it's a lot of carbs, carbs won't kill you. Eat the potato :) Now I may go have one...

Also, I don't like sweet potatoes. The whole reason I like potatoes is because they taste like potatoes... why would I want them to be sweet?! :P
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the potato-party-pooper but some people might need to avoid potatoes because, as a nightshade vegetable they do contain high levels of alkaloids, which can worsen inflammation. If you have arthritis, for example, potatoes are unfortunately not a healthy addition to your diet.
  • ChelMar24
    ChelMar24 Posts: 19
    Options

Great answer. U sound like my kind of friend :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    eat em'. had one for lunch, fried potatoes, it was delicious.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Used to have a baked potato for dinner everday at one point and lost weight doing it, lol. I don't seem to have them so often now, as I don't like the added calories and tend to have more protein instead, but when I do have one, I tend to just have it with a little salt and wholegrain mustard. I have sweet potatoes more often these days, usually with my salmon or with cottage cheese.
    I consider potatoes to be pretty natural, more natural than grains actually.
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Love potatoes, too! Try baked potatoes with black beans, a little cheese, sautéed onions, and a smidge of sour cream to have a more balanced version for dinner.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Seriously - just eat whatever you fancy within your cals. This is about lifestyle changes (portions/healthier choices) not deprivation! xx