Lifting AND A Half Marathon..Can I do both?

Options
I just finished p90x and I bought New Rules of Lifting for Women. Id like to start lifting but I also want to train for a half marathon. Can I do both or will one take away from the other?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this so I can't speak from experience but I can't imagine have sufficient energy and recovery to be able to do both justice.
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    That does make sense...Hmph...Ive run a few halfs a couple years ago but just started running again here a few weeks ago.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I lifted and trained for a couple of ten-mile races. I think they actually go hand in hand. What I did was make my weekly schedule and make sure I had a day off after my hardest day (for me, my long runs). I actually ran a LOT better when I lifted, and had fewer aches/injuries. I actually wouldn't get back into running long distances unless I was lifting, too.

For example:

Monday - upper body, run 3 miles
    tuesday - lower body, balance exercises
    wednesday - run 4 miles
    thursday - upper/lower combo (whatever i didn't get in earlier in the week), run 2-3 miles (or cross train)
    friday - rest
    saturday - long run - 7-10 miles
    sunday - rest

(also, when i started training for the ten miler, i had never run a single mile...so I was s tarting from scratch, and was able to run the ten mile race within a few months)
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I lifted and trained for a couple of ten-mile races. I think they actually go hand in hand. What I did was make my weekly schedule and make sure I had a day off after my hardest day (for me, my long runs). I actually ran a LOT better when I lifted, and had fewer aches/injuries. I actually wouldn't get back into running long distances unless I was lifting, too.

For example:

Monday - upper body, run 3 miles
    tuesday - lower body, balance exercises
    wednesday - run 4 miles
    thursday - upper/lower combo (whatever i didn't get in earlier in the week), run 2-3 miles (or cross train)
    friday - rest
    saturday - long run - 7-10 miles
    sunday - rest

(also, when i started training for the ten miler, i had never run a single mile...so I was s tarting from scratch, and was able to run the ten mile race within a few months)

Thank you for sharing!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    absolutely! the strength training will get your core strong. Core strength is vital to long distance running. I carry a camelback system for hydration (70 oz, lasts me the whole half marathon), and wish I had kept up with my pec/delt flies. They would have been a real help on my last half marathon.

oh and don't do long runs every weekend. Trade off. Give your body time to recover. Do 3-5 mi during the week, and 6 one weekend, then do a short run the next, the following do 8 mi. Build up slowly. You'll thank yourself.

Look into the Jeff Galloway program. It has helped me tremendously (and made me faster)
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on what your goal for the 1/2 is, but I did weight training and marathon training at the same time and felt GREAT. I was dancing the night of the marathon and running again (only 2-3 miles) 2 days later. :)
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I am excited to start!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. You can do both, but one or the other will not be max effort. The amount of running necessary to do your best in a half marathon will seriously compromise your ability to do weight training with your lower body. At the same time, if you do a lot of lower body work in the weight room you will compromise the volume and quality of your running due to the need for recovery.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I've done both for all of my running events. It's very helpful to lift when training for runs. Good luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are two issues: physiologic and training.

Resistance training does not significantly interfere with aerobic training (independent of significant gains in body mass).

Fatigue from heavier lifting might interfere with running. However, with a combination of adaptation and scheduling your workouts properly, I think the average person finds that lifting enhances their running program for the most part.
  • zbatch34
    zbatch34 Posts: 7
    Options
    Based on what Ive read, you'd want to definitely carb up like crazy before any long distance running. That way your body doesn't start to burn your hard earned muscle. I hear to avoid burning muscle while running is to do a low intensity cardio, something like a brisk walk. So your body will be using mostly fat for energy. You can lose weight without even doing any cardio at all. Its all about calories. But running is good for you and your heart and so many people love it. So basically if you are going to run and really want to, make sure you have plenty of protein/carbs before/after. Hope I helped a bit?
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You can do both, i've run half marathons and full marathons whilst doing 4x and 3x a week strength training, my numbers in both fields are respectable, but not elite. PM me for more details
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do both but that's because I ached too much from running to lift properly and vice-versa. I couldn't do both to the best of my ability, so ended up cutting back my resistance training to injury prevention - leg stability and core.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Some people ca, some people can't. I weight trained throughout my half and full mara preps and now seriously weight train (3 times a week) and (when not injured) can post a reasonable half mara time.

Here is a post about it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580331-runners-what-weight-training
  • JamesGGAnderson
    JamesGGAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Coming from an endurance sport background (Ironman Triathlon) I'd say you can certainly do both, but unless you're running 60-70 miles per week, the benefit of an extra run will be greater than a strength workout. Having said this, stability exercises, especially around your hips are almost essential, most running injuries (that aren't overuse injuries) are due to weak glutes. Upper body exercises will have no benefit.

Of course it really depends on your goals, if you want to run the half marathon as quickly as possible, replace any lifting with running and only do running and core stability exercises. If you wan't to be generally heathy and just want to do the half as a fun thing to train for then keep lifting.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I asked this awhile ago and just went with what worked for me instead of listening to some. You certainly can do it and if anything it's improved my runs. I lift heavy too but I don't follow New Rules as I found it boring. I do 2 upper body and 2 lower body days. However what might be key for me is I'm not eating in a deficit. I eat at maintence level so I'm eating 2000+ calories a day at 40/30/30 so my energy is sufficent for all my training. If you're in a deficit it definitely might be harder to sustain.
  • watters87
    watters87 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hope so, because I am! :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I hope so, because I am! :)

Me too!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    You can do both. I am doing StrongLifts 5x5 which is done every other day so you have time for the muscles to recover, however the days inbetween you can do cardio or other exercises which can be running, swimming, etc. I have run up to 2 miles as part of my cardio until this heat wave started and I am anxious to get back to it. Just don't stress the same muscles every day and you should be fine.