Where Im goin wrong? Advice from ppl who know their stuff!

Options
I have totally changed the way I exercise x eat over the past 4 months, kept it going with controlled cheat days. I'm
Gettin deflated as just not seeing the results I want. I want to be decreasing body fat and building muscle so here's what I'm doing please tell me where I am going wrong....
22 female 5.3" 123lb
Not lost any weight since started but lost inches very slow but only 2. Want to know what I can
Do to continue as loss has stopped.
My tdee according to my body media fit I burn 2000 avg a day so I'm eating 1700 a day so it's -15% of tdee and also -300cal roughly half pound a week.
I eat 120-130 g protein
Under 170g carbs
Under 1500 mg sodium
Drink water
Take green tea extract
I eat every 2-3 hours
My diet consists of : porridge / whole grain cereal
With skimmed milk. Berries.
S:low fat yog x apple
L: tin tuna x salad, low fat yoghurt
S:100cal choc bar eg rocky
S:cereal bar before gym at 7pm
D: chicken veg brown rice or chicken salad post gym
This does all equate to 1700 cals.
(I don't have choc every day but worse case scenario example)
Can you give me a few pointers as my progress has halted.
One post says increase cals another drop cals another low carb etc. just confused and would like advice from people who know what they are talking about.
Thank you!

Replies

• toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Meant to say I lift heavy doing 3 full body workouts and one cardio session a week.
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options
    You don't weigh much so maybe you have to cut your calories lower. It's harder to lose weight the smaller you are. MFP recommended for me to eat 1200 and I am in the 170s. You might just have to go lower.

I would eat more on lifting days to fuel that work out. But on an average day, try to go lower. Give it a few months.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    really? a public forum isn't the place to ask for "people that know they're talking about" good luck though.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You don't weigh much so maybe you have to cut your calories lower. It's harder to lose weight the smaller you are. MFP recommended for me to eat 1200 and I am in the 170s. You might just have to go lower.

I would eat more on lifting days to fuel that work out. But on an average day, try to go lower. Give it a few months.

I agree that 1700 sounds high for someone so small. Your BMF is just giving you an estimate, so are your food calories.

Do you count in those cheat days/meals?

That's the hard thing with aiming for 1/2 lb/week loss. It's a tiny target to hit.

You say you want to lose fat and build muscle. I think they say you can't do both at once because the latter takes a calorie surplus. You might do better if you pick one or the other goal and then switch off a little later.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    What are your lift numbers?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    if you are BURNING 2000 cal a day and only eating 1700 cal, your metabolism has probably slowed way down. I'd make sure you're getting an accurate calorie count on how much you are indeed burning (that's a huge calorie burn for someone of your weight) and then set it up so you're getting at least 1200 calories PLUS the number of calories you are burning. It might seem like a lot of food, but your body needs the fuel for regular functioning.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Seriously.. go lower? No. When you don't have much to lose, you should only be trying to lose a pound/half pound per week and not two pounds per week. What she is doing now is fine.

To OP:
    At 123 pounds at 5'3, you are prob. fine weight wise and should not be concerned with losing weight.

Personally, I think what you are doing is fine, and that you should keep going the course.

Keep lifting and keep eating at a deficit... and you will see results. With weight training results are slower(esp on the scale) due to water being retained for muscle repair.. but as long as you are losing inches, thats what matters.

Also try eating your 2000 calories, and see what happens.. with strength training you need to eat more as muscle helps boost the metabolism. I'd also try doing one more cardio session per week and see if that helps.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'd add more veggies. Plant foods may boost your metabolism.
  • cpsoroff
    cpsoroff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am also the same height as you and weigh around 120. My goal weight is 115 to 110. I can maintain on 1700, but in order to loose I have to stay with 1200. I also work out 5 times a week and usually eat only half the calories I burn back. It is difficult to get those last few pounds off! Good Luck.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    if you are BURNING 2000 cal a day and only eating 1700 cal, your metabolism has probably slowed way down. I'd make sure you're getting an accurate calorie count on how much you are indeed burning (that's a huge calorie burn for someone of your weight) and then set it up so you're getting at least 1200 calories PLUS the number of calories you are burning. It might seem like a lot of food, but your body needs the fuel for regular functioning.

You are misunderstanding the OP.

They burn total 2000 calories a day. That is what TDEE means. Of that 2000 they burn they eat 1700. That give a deficit of 300. That is a very moderate deficit, not a huge one. In other words, they are not using the MFP number, but using their own as given from their Bodymedia Fit.

To the OP, progress will be slow. I would suggest you open your food diary so people can see it since your brief description of what you are eating really is not that helpful since it is not all you are eating since it does not add up to 1700.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Baring any medical issues, just start over and follow MFP recommendations.
    Losing fat is actually very simple but just hard work. Seriously, go back to the knitting of how MFP works
    Read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Go into Update diet/fitness profile and set for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE! In fact, if it were me, I'd go with a half pound per week given that you're not that over-weight.
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise, log everything in correctly and eat back your exercise calories. It's just that simple, so if you're not getting results, check everything on your end.
    You can do this.:flowerforyou:

All Is Possible!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Working with heavy weights, your weightloss can be masked by glycogen and water storage. If you truly want to see how much you've lost, low carb for a couple of days (<30g or so for 2 x 24 hours) and you should expel the majority of any extra stored.

Two other points;
    Cereals aren't really as healthy as the companies would like you to think. Consider fruit for your morning carbs, perhaps.
    Meal frequency is irrelevant and you should look at www.leangains.com to read about IF.

Depending on how long you've been lifting (4 months?), I would say split your routine up over the three days. I would also tell you to drop the cardio for a couple of weeks and see what happens as it could be excessive stress on your CNS causing the stall. I gather your long term aim is a fitness physique? If so, understand you'd probably be best off focusing your efforts on losing fat, then building muscle, losing fat, building muscle etc, in cycles - bulk and cut.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Seriously.. go lower? No. When you don't have much to lose, you should only be trying to lose a pound/half pound per week and not two pounds per week. What she is doing now is fine.

To OP:
    At 123 pounds at 5'3, you are prob. fine weight wise and should not be concerned with losing weight.

Personally, I think what you are doing is fine, and that you should keep going the course.

Keep lifting and keep eating at a deficit... and you will see results. With weight training results are slower(esp on the scale) due to water being retained for muscle repair.. but as long as you are losing inches, thats what matters.

Also try eating your 2000 calories, and see what happens.. with strength training you need to eat more as muscle helps boost the metabolism. I'd also try doing one more cardio session per week and see if that helps.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I agree...if you're building muscle than 123lbs for your height is about right. What weight would you expect to go down to when you're lifting 3x per week? Are you trying to lean out or build muscle? I hope that you're not so hung up on a magic number that you're not seeing a full picture of your progress...
  • toshie333
    Options
    I don't weigh myself as I know lifting scews the scale number. I measure but the figures aren't moving. Usually I can say I feel better x making progress x I don't feel I am.
    The body media fit is meant to be 95% accurate so really it's my best guess I'm going to get.

How long do I cut the bulk for? 2 week cycles? 4 ? Sorry no clue will have to read up.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Have you tried calorie cycling? I've seen this used for breaking a plateau. Under eat for two day, over eat one day and then eat normally for two days. Repeat.

Also consider the possibility of a food allergy. From the list of foods, my guess would be the dairy could be the issue. A lot of people have food sensitivities to dairy products and don't realize it. Try substituting soy milk or soy yogurt and see if that doesn't make a difference.
  • toshie333
    Options
    Have you tried calorie cycling? I've seen this used for breaking a plateau. Under eat for two day, over eat one day and then eat normally for two days. Repeat.

Also consider the possibility of a food allergy. From the list of foods, my guess would be the dairy could be the issue. A lot of people have food sensitivities to dairy products and don't realize it. Try substituting soy milk or soy yogurt and see if that doesn't make a difference.

That's good advice. I drink alot of milk on
    Coffee (all calories counted of course) I can certainly try soy milk. Not sure of the variety of soy yog so will have a look when shopping.
    Also calorie cycling. I have heard of this. Do I need to have a high day followed by a low? I think I'm
    Going to get my body media band back on for an accurate tdee then try devise a cycle.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'3".

I was stuck at 118lbs for a while, eating 1500 calories. I reduced to 1250calories a day and finally went down 5lbs. I do a bootcamp class twice a week. IINSANITY DVD once a week.

My BMR is 1190 so I can't eat a lot.
  • StephMPP
    StephMPP Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also not seeing any results. I'm 147.7lbs 5ft 5.5". I'm sticking within the calories that its telling me i can eat. Originally it said 1200 calories a day but due to exercising its increasing but I am staying within that range. I'm drinking green tea all cay and apple cider vinegar with meals and I haven't lost any weight. My food diary is open to the public and if anyone can offer any advice I'd be so grateful cause I am so unhappy as I am!

I am also 5'3".

I was stuck at 118lbs for a while, eating 1500 calories. I reduced to 1250calories a day and finally went down 5lbs. I do a bootcamp class twice a week. IINSANITY DVD once a week.

My BMR is 1190 so I can't eat a lot.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Reduce calories in. 1700 is too high for a 5'3" 123lb person to lose on.

Also, but of less a priority than getting the cals right this:
    My diet consists of : porridge / whole grain cereal
    With skimmed milk. Berries.
    S:low fat yog x apple
    L: tin tuna x salad, low fat yoghurt
    S:100cal choc bar eg rocky
    S:cereal bar before gym at 7pm
    D: chicken veg brown rice or chicken salad post gym
    This does all equate to 1700 cals.

doesn't look like it will give you the 120g of protein and sub 170g of carbs. It looks like less protein and more carbs but the actual values wold depend on the relative amounts.

The green tea is doing 9/10ths of very little so stick with it if you like it, if not ditch it.

Stick with the 5x5 routine with a bit of cardio that you enjoy, don't worry about the scales (other than for calculating TDEE), take measurements to monitor progress.

Best wishes