Does protein make you fat?

Options
I've gone over on protein by 45g today, but am still under my calories and all other macros. Can too much protein make you fat?

I've consumed 99g of protein today, and I weight 126 pounds.

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    you should be eating about that much protein daily anyway.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options

I've heard 1g for every pound you weigh.
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options

This.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I know that TOO much can. But I think you'd at least need to get your bodyweight in protein before it'd even be a worry.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Well if you ate 99g and it's "for every pound you weigh" then, you should eat 126g . Protein doesn't make you fat ^_^ The calories from meat/eggs/Whey powder could if consumed to much and over amount of calorie goal.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Your body needs 3 basic macros to function-- fat, carbs, and protein. Sufficient protein helps keep your body from cannibalizing itself. Carbs are the body's quickest form of energy and can be turned into fat if not used fast enough (hence why one of the reasons so many people prefer a low carb life style). Healthy fat can help you burn fat. If you're constantly resupplying your body with protein and healthy fats, it's more likely to give up weight and lean out.
    Eat some protein and healthy fat!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Yeah, MFP lowballs the amount of protein one should be eating. I'm over on my protein pretty much every day. I don't see it as a problem. :)
  • comeon_skinnylove
    Options

It's actually 1g of protein per lb of lbm.
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Protein, carbs, fat, any of it does not make you fat. What makes you fat is going over your maintenance calories on a daily basis.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options

1g for every 1 lb of lean body mass, not exactly body weight.

Excess protein doesn't make you fat. Excess dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Excess sodium can make you retain some water but does not make you fat.

Excess calories DOES make you gain body fat.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I noticed I gained when I was getting to over 130g a day and started having some back pains, so I think too much can definitely be a bad thing.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Is excess protein turned into sugar/fat? Or does your body just get rid of it??
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    if you eat too much protein and dont work it off, it turns to fat! your body stores it for later.. damn body doesnt know we arent cavemen anymore... grr.. lol :laugh: :wink:
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but it takes about 3-4 months for it to really become noticeable, and then after 9 months you should be good to try again.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Excess of anything for one day will not make you fat. Not carbs, not protein, not fat, not sugar.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I noticed I gained when I was getting to over 130g a day and started having some back pains, so I think too much can definitely be a bad thing.

Protein does not cause back pains. You probably injured yourself while doing exercise.

If you ate 250g protein a day, and fit it into your calories for the day (i.e 250g protein means 1,000 calories gone and you eat 50g carbs 20g fat to equal the other 400, or whatever) then you wouldn't gain weight because you're still on a large calorie deficit from your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE).
    Eat 250g protein, 300g carbs and 100g fat? Then you're above your maintenance calories and you'll put on weight.

If anything, studies show that increased protein consumption while on a calorie deficit can lead to greater fat loss and lean mass retention.

PROTEIN IS GOOD.
  • comeon_skinnylove
    Options

1g for every 1 lb of lean body mass, not exactly body weight.

Excess protein doesn't make you fat. Excess dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Excess sodium can make you retain some water but does not make you fat.

Excess calories DOES make you gain body fat.

But don't macros determine your body composition? Like if person A ate a ton of carbs and not enough protein, and person B ate a ton of protein and kept their diet low carb but they both had the same net calories, wouldn't person B would look a lot better?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's 1g/kg. 1g/lb is from bodybuilding magazines. Also, it sounds silly because grams and pounds are from different systems.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    no.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Protein does not cause back pains. You probably injured yourself while doing exercise.

If you ate 250g protein a day, and fit it into your calories for the day (i.e 250g protein means 1,000 calories gone and you eat 50g carbs 20g fat to equal the other 400, or whatever) then you wouldn't gain weight because you're still on a large calorie deficit from your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE).
    Eat 250g protein, 300g carbs and 100g fat? Then you're above your maintenance calories and you'll put on weight.

If anything, studies show that increased protein consumption while on a calorie deficit can lead to greater fat loss and lean mass retention.

PROTEIN IS GOOD.

I was told that eating too much protein can cause kidney issues, especialy if you have had kidney issues in the past, which would cause back pains.