low carb breakfast options?

Options
mipanda
mipanda Posts: 43
Hi everyone

I've been doing this low carb diet, on day 4 now and its working really well. My problem is figuring out what to eat for breakfast though. I'm usually a cereal or vegemite on toast kind of girl - both of which are out.

the first two days, I made an omelette with cheese & ham. The third day, I had scrambled eggs with feta. This morning, I felt nauseated at the idea of eggs AGAIN, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

what else can I eat for breakfast? I prefer light, fresh stuff of a morning - eggs felt too heavy and greasy. Give me sme suggestions!

Also how do you keep your calories up without carbs? I ate enough to not feel hungry at all in the day, and I was still a few hundred short. bad times.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    salad, sauteéd veggies.
    steak, chicken.
    flax muffins/pancakes.

you don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    nuts can help you get your caloric intake up, but if you're not hungry, don't worry about eating.

try coconut oil too! its delish. and avocados. yum.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I would eat some fresh fruit, a banana with peanut butter! Also, maybe a fruit and spinach smoothie. Yogurt, cottage cheese...

There is some bread I get sometimes by Healthy Life that is low carb and tastes pretty good so perhaps that can be one of your carb choices for the day?
  • mipanda
    Options
    hmm I haven't been eating bananas this week, they're way too high in carbs - 27g for a medium one! I've been sticking to around 50 or less for the whole day.

I do like the smoothie idea though. maybe something like soy and strawberries would go well.

couldn't imagine eating steak for breakfast!
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Smoothies involving other things like frozen berries and non fat greek yogurt may be a go. Eggs are low carb, and you can pack an omelet with veggies and theres tons of other things you can do with them. Rice Cakes are super low in everything and you can put a few tablespoons of PB on there, delicious. Also, they sell low carb oatmeal, that might interest you. I think low carb diets are generally great, who needs breads and pastas?! No good for you, but my personally opinion, doing a 50 carb per day diet is great for a little bit. A 10 - 30 day thing to shred pounds super fast. Gotta add some later tho. Diabetics eat more carbs than that.
  • mipanda
    Options
    Oh I don't think I could do this for long, I'm already bored of it - but it's good to see significant results! I'll definitely be reintroducing brown bread and more fruit in a few weeks time, max.

how much should I consume as like a low carb maintenance diet after this extreme amount?
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    That's great, I was a little worried at first haha. Quinoa is awesome, protein carb super food.
    I would add some every few weeks until your intake looks like the one mfp suggests.
  • Kezzaangry
    Kezzaangry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hello - i stick to eating only 1 carb a day and thats at breakfast. That is either a slice of multigrain toast or a piece of fruit. You MUST eat a protein with every meal so i have either egg or ham or bacon (only 50 gram though) So far i have lost 15kgs in 18 weeks. Good luck!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Eggs and (pick one:) salmon, steak, bacon, sausage, liver, etc. Eggs are always a fairly inexpensive highly nutritious (especially if you eat the yolk) choice that's low carb.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I do protein powder with spinach and fruit blended in. If you are on the type of low carb that doesn't allow fruit than you can just omit it. I add it personally to up my fibre consumption.
  • Sililily115
    Options
    cottage cheese: warm with microwave apples and cinnamon :d, cold with other fruits, i also know alot of people like them savory but have never tried

i also usually have cold hard boiled eggs with soy sauce, or whatever else you like them with
  • mipanda
    Options
    tbh I'm just making up my diet as I go along, I think that's why I'm finding it tricky to think of good meals!

bought some stevia online, I will definitely try making a soy strawberry smoothie - I expect it will have around 12 carbs if I use a cup of strawberries and unsweetened soy.

that cottage cheese suggestion sounds yum! my fiance has been eating it just with almonds, which seems pretty nasty to me.
  • zaxmom09
    zaxmom09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the low carb snack bars or shakes? When I got tired of eggs...I drink a shake or eat a snack bar like the cranberry almond or cookies and creme....only 3 grams of net carbs, i believe.
  • lionessJJ
    lionessJJ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BUUUMMMMMPPP
  • ani4life
    ani4life Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love non-fat Greek yogurt...some of the types with fruit may be too high in carbs for you (not sure how much you consider to be high), but you can always add some honey or agave nectar and fresh fruit to the plain kind. I also have recipes for homemade protein bars (LOVE THEM) and different types of protein pancakes if you'd be interested in those. You use oat flour and protein powder and artificial sweetener instead of regular flour and white sugar.
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Go check out my diary and see what I have been eating. I have been keeping at 100/less a day myself in maintenance. I can hardly eat eggs myself and I cannot eat a big filling greasy breakfast myself. I have been eating Advantage Bars (Atkins) every morning then by lunch I am good and hungry and I have my salad and protien of some sort. The bars hold me over until lunch due to the fiber and protien, Anyways, just go look at my journal the past couple weeks =) I myself have found that sugar alchohols, no sugar added products and stuff like that does not hinder my weight nor upset my stomach.