10'000 steps

Options
Does anyone do 10'000 steps aday, truthfully? And how do you motivate yourself everyday to do it? I d0 maximun 4000 to 5000 steps per day

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes i am getting an average of 14000 a day. Today i hit 12000. My highest was about 22000 i believe, from walking a lot and doing cycling or elliptical. I dont find it hard. A forty minute cycle and some walking around town gets me there.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    When I lost a butt load of weight before my second baby I had myself up to about 20,000 a day lol. It kinda get addictive to try and get your number or to beat it. It's not even so much about motivation, you start low and add about 500-1000 extra steps a week and work your way up and it becomes a habit. I'm trying to get back to 10,000 now, averaging about 7000 currently...
  • warden1962
    warden1962 Posts: 10
    Options
    I bought a "Fitbit" to track my steps. Usually don't have any problems making the 10,000 steps a day goal on the weekends, as I'm more active during the day than during the week with my desk job. But even on weekdays, as long as I walk about 35-45 minutes I can get pretty close. Love the Fitbit, it's small and also keeps track of calories burned. I can check it every now and then during the day to see my progress, which gets me moving.
  • Dalacombe
    Dalacombe Posts: 30
    Options
    I started wearing a pedometer last summer because my employer challenged us to work up to 10,000 steps a day and gave those who achieved the goal $50. I got addicted and wear it all the time now. I usually end up between 14000-20000 easily. Start with small goals and just work your way up.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    wow you guys are walking machines haha My pedometer counts slow i think or im getting lazy but i will test myself
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,996 Member
    Options
    I do at least 10,000 steps a day, my highest day was 22,347 . But I must admit when I first started trying to do 10,000 steps a day I was getting around 6,000 steps , It took me awhile to work up to 10,000
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I get 8 to 10 thousand on days I work. (because I work at a gas station and I am constantly moving. Going to and from coffee, back and forth to sell cigarettes / liquor from behind the counter area, across the store and back to show customers products, so on)

Off days (unless I go jogging) are between 5 and 7 thousand.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    wow you guys are walking machines haha My pedometer counts slow i think or im getting lazy but i will test myself

Check your pedometer. Mine I had to set the pace on. I didn't, and I think I should have. It always seemed low.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    To check the accuracy you walk 100 steps and check it, if it's within 10 either more or less it's considered close lol
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging over 20,000 steps a day. I wear a fitbit and when I first started I made sure to do at least 10K per day. I've had it now for almost 2 months and now I'm averaging over 20K. It is just a matter of making the effort to be more active...
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    YEP!! I do it everyday..I do alot of walking with my job.. :happy: I also drink about 70 oz of water during the day.. :drinker: Have a good night
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My goal is to hit 10-12k every day. I usually hit that pretty easily. My daily walk/run gets me half way there. And I try to add extra steps to my normal day by parking far away from the places I go...work, my apartment, the grocery store, church, etc. And I take the stairs instead of the elevator.

My highest step count in a day was over 25k. It was our Relay for Life weekend here (an American Cancer Society event to raise funds for cancer research). I helped set up and tear down and walked A TON! But it felt GREAT!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I usually get 11,000 or 12,000.

I had a high of 16,618.

I do little things like park far away from the store, make extra trips while carrying groceries or laundry.

But I walk 2 or 3 miles a day or I wouldn't hit it.

If you have a desk job it's harder.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    To check the accuracy you walk 100 steps and check it, if it's within 10 either more or less it's considered close lol

haha u was right 100 steps was counted as 60 so ive changed the pace
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've got two dogs so instead of letting them out in the yard, I've made a point to walk them for a mile twice a day (in the morning and evening). I started parking at the furthest end of the parking lot and spending more time walking and taking the long route when I run my daily errands. You'd be surprised how much those things really add up the steps.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do 10,000 a day when i am at work. I usually do do walks around the facility, which takes about 20 minutes each, then i do an hour on the elliptical.

I have found it all depends on the device you use. I was using a Virgin Healthmiles meter, which I would get about 3000 steps a day with tehe same activities. My 2nd meter would not updated to the web via USB, contact the company and they told me I had to purchase a new one. Since I had been thru 2 meters that was not a option I would consider. I purchased a fiibit, and I am averaging 8000 to 10,000 steps when I do the above. Too hot to walk outside now. So I have to figure an alternative walking place on weekend.

Hope that helps.

Margaret
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 15,000 and I usually have around 10,000 done before breakfast because I jog about 6 miles in the morning. I use a BMF to track my steps throughout the day. Usually end up between 16-22,000.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I live in a city and don't have a car, so I do 10,000 steps without much thought. When I lived in the suburbs I barely managed 2000 a day. If you don't live in a walkable neighborhood I think the only way to do it is to schedule a daily walk.
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    YEP!! I do it everyday..I do alot of walking with my job.. :happy: I also drink about 70 oz of water during the day.. :drinker: Have a good night
    July 5: 11000 steps today
    July 6:
    July 7:
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I worked up to it. One thing that helped is we got a dog. She was my excuse to walk a little further in the neighborhood every day. As I lost weight, I walked more. I got on the treadmill, I plotted further routes for me and Sadie.

Another thing we do is go out to dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. So now that it's nicer out, we walk after dinner. It doesn't have to be fast paced. 30 minutes will burn off the beer I had with dinner or the frozen yogurt I want for dessert. Gives me and my husband some time to talk. We sometimes run into friends too.

But once I got to where I was hitting 10K a day easily.... I upped my goal. Just keep trying to do more than the day before. It really is just one step at a time.