Gastric Bypass Patients?

Options
Any folks out there that are Gastric Bypass Patients? ...

I had Gastric Bypass surgery April 2009 and a revision April 2012. I lost 183pounds initially and regained 60 pounds. Don't ever assume that you're safe just because you had a weight loss surgery. It will creep back on if you don't watch your intake...believe me, I know!

Nikki

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    What's a revision?

My sister in law did it in 2009, but didn't change eating habits (maybe she ate LESS, but was still eating the same poor food choices) and she's since gained all of it (and perhaps more) back. Its very sad to see :(

Good luck to you!
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have know folks who had it and lost tons of weight but then just gained right back. It's all about Lifestyle change. Good luck to you!
  • nikkireich
    Options
    Oh yeah, it's very easy to gain the weight back. A Revision surgery is basically having the procedure done again. Tightening your stomach n things of that nature.

I'm sorry to hear that your Sister has gained her weight back. It's very tough :\
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    had the surgery in 2005...didnt do good with it since I didnt change my habits. I thought I was ready for it, but I wasn't. Long story short...I hit rock bottom, started taking baby steps into eating better and working out.

I have lost over 200lbs and kept it off for years.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, it's very easy to gain the weight back. A Revision surgery is basically having the procedure done again. Tightening your stomach n things of that nature.

I'm sorry to hear that your Sister has gained her weight back. It's very tough :\
    Yes, its very unfortunate, especially since she didn't have as much as you did to lose (was only maybe 60-80 lbs overweight), and has no health reasons or restrictions that would prohit her from losing it through diet and exercise. She and my brother-in-law get carryout food (burgers and pizza) probably 4-5 nights a week and always have loads of junk food on hand at their house. They're raising two daughters who are thin and active now, but I worry that they're not setting much of an example for a healthy lifestyle. I think she expected the surgery to be an easy fix for a bigger problem!

I hope things go well for you this second time around. It certainly sounds like you're on the right track!!
  • nikkireich
    Options
    Awesome!! I love to hear those success stories. I hope to get there, as well. Congrats!
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    I have the long version on my blog if you want to read :)
  • nikkireich
    Options
    It's so easy to fall back again into this horrible eating habits. I thought I was something else! Thinking the weight wouldn't come back because I was a weight loss surgery patient...I was fine.. NOT!

I see you're down 37 pounds. Awesome!! :)
  • DonJr42
    DonJr42 Posts: 4
    Options
    I did not have the Gastric Bypass, but had the Realize band on 10-28-2008 and have lost 56 + lbs, with about 50 more to go. I'm a slow loser but getting there.
  • nikkireich
    Options
    Is that the latest lap band? Do you still have a port?
  • Dani_Detroit
    Options
    Hi I just had mine done last week, still on the all fluid - almost fluid part. I can't wait to be able to have something to chew. Just for the sake of chewing!
  • DonJr42
    Options
    It's basically the same thing, just a different brand and is designed a little different and yes I do have a port.
  • DonJr42
    Options
    My doctor said in his experience it works better for people over 65 yrs old. I had it done when I was 66 yrs old.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2008 after many years of research. I have lost 205 pounds and have kept it off. My BMI is currently 21. It was the right choice for me.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2008 after many years of research. I have lost 205 pounds and have kept it off. My BMI is currently 21. It was the right choice for me.

good job...I kept it off too :)

Is there anything you avoid eating because it may make you sick? The only thing that really bothers me is way too much sugar in a short period of time (ex: milkshake). I will drink half and thats it. I am happy.
  • Smileyawaw
    Smileyawaw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had my Lap Band implanted in July 2009, lost all of 20lbs and quickly gained it back once I learned to "eat around the band". Last year I lost 50lbs with diet and exercise but life got in the way and I gained back 30lbs, ugh. I'm finally on the right track again but I completely understand thinking weight loss surgery will magically allow you to lose weight and keep it off without changing your eating habits and your relationship with food. Food and I had to officially "divorce" for me to see the error of my ways and change my life all around. I'd love to follow you along your journey - I sent you a friend request! :)
  • DonJr42
    Options
    I went to my Bariatric support group meeting last week and was reminded on the amount of CALORIES, CARBS, etc I should be eating. 1600 CAL was too much for me and I dropped it back to around 1200 and have started losing again. I don't stick to 1200 or lower but keep as close as I can but well under 1600 Cal. It's only been 4 days sense I lowered it, so far, so good.