Flax seed ideas

Options
I just purchased some flax seed was planning on mixing some in my yogurt. Do you have any other suggestions on how you cook or integrate it ? Thanks.

Replies

• spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I am all about flaxeggs to use in cooking etc. in place of eggs. Mix some ground up flaxseed with 2 tbsp of water and put it in the fridge to thicken.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I am all about flaxeggs to use in cooking etc. in place of eggs. Mix some ground up flaxseed with 2 tbsp of water and put it in the fridge to thicken.

This. And I also use it in oatmeal.
  • candi_jo
    candi_jo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've just purchased both ground flax seed and chia seeds. I'm excited about trying them, but also unsure of how to best use them!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've just purchased both ground flax seed and chia seeds. I'm excited about trying them, but also unsure of how to best use them!

I use both in my smoothies! I can't taste the chia seeds at all, but the flax seeds you can taste a bit and I don't like them with some fruits, so definitely play around a bit if you go this route :)
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I replace about 1/4 cup of flour with ground flax in my baking. I'll also toss it in pancake batter as well. Chia seeds I add to my oatmeal, cereal and mix in to my greek yogurt. Yum!
  • Mangolassi260
    Mangolassi260 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I add it to buckwheat pancakes, sprinkle it on oatmeal, add a couple tablespoons into healthy cocoa/choc chip cookies (with ground walnuts and ground oats as well), add it to homemade bread...just make sure you store ground flaxseed in the fridge as it goes rancid quickly. A spare coffee grinder does a great job of grinding whole flaxseed.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Curious as to what nutritional benefit you derive from Chia Seeds and Flax Seed?
  • ChelsChubzz
    Options
    i put it in :

oatmeal
    smoothies
    applesauce
    yogurt
    on salad
    on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    in ricotta or cottage cheese
    in egg salad
    protein and breakfast shakes
  • MsOssining
    MsOssining Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I make flax muffins, use it in my meatballs and meatloaf for texture, smoothies, if I bake my own bread I put it in there. You can basically add a little flax to everything.
  • candi_jo
    candi_jo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Flax and Chia are both sources of fiber, and I know chia has omega-3's in it too!
  • bigpinch
    bigpinch Posts: 21
    Options
    Flaxseed high protein low carb pancakes. I like mine with plain greek yogurt and fresh fruit or sugar free syrup.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/helens-high-protein-low-carb-pancakes-448497
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I just purchased some flax seed was planning on mixing some in my yogurt. Do you have any other suggestions on how you cook or integrate it ? Thanks.
    Be sure to grind them before using or most will just pass right through you. A coffee grinder works well or you can buy them already ground.