kettlebell weights

Options
I have been reading that working out at home with kettlebells really helps with toning etc, my question is how do you choose which weight is for you, as I will be buying on line, also any recommendations.

Thanks

Replies

• goldenpawz99
    Options
    HI There!
    I'm glad you posted this. A little while back I posted a question too about kettlebells. I started up with a rather small weight and quickly went to 15 lb bell. To some that seems small weight but I'm still a beginner. Someone had suggested a book to read and DVD that you can purchase on Amazon, her name is Tracy Reifkind. She lost over 100lbs she is really inspiring and is a trainer now. Also another good one to check out is Lauren Brooks; on Amazon as well. If you have a Target near you I bought a Reebock kettlebell there. Pretty good quality. Good luck to you!
    -Michelle
  • Mangolassi260
    Mangolassi260 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I bought the Bob Harper contoured kettlebells at Target. Love his Cardio Shred Inside Out Method. I started last October with a 5lb and fairly quickly moved to the 10lb. I started doing kettlebell workout more religiously just in the last 2 weeks, almost every day and now only use the 10lb. I have a 15lb, but not ready for that yet. I love the extra energy I have from doing this, and it is full body toning! My legs are shapelier than they've EVER been, and I love my arms. I can see my six-pack abs peeking through a top layer of flab! LOL.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    According to "Enter the Kettlebell", by Pavel Tsatsouline (considered to be the father of the modern kettelbell movement in the US), an average female should start with an 18lb kettlebell. If you are really out of shape, maybe start at 15, but when you go much lower, the question is why bother with a kettlebell at all? You could do the same movements with any light weight.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Pick out the workout you want to do with the weight first (either from a book or online) and go to a good fitness supply store that will let you try out a sample weight. Then grab one you can perform the workout you want to with but not much more (for myself, I started with a kettlebell swing, and I bought one that I could do about 20 reps with at a time, then worked up until I could do 50 in a single set, then upgraded to a heavier weight). Personally as a smallish woman just starting out I went for 20 lbs, now I'm up to 35.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I started with an 18, and soon after bought a 26.

Livefitrevolution.com has beginner kettlebell suggestions. You have to register but there are tons of free workouts there.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I started with a 15lbs.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    you can get a set of 10, 15, and 20 lb CAP cast iron kettlebells from Walmart for $49 and $3 shipping. That's a good starter set for a female and will last you a while. The lighter kettlebell is good for training as you don't want to crush your wrist with a bad snatch before you learn the technique properly. The set of 20, 25, 30 lb ($79) is good for a man starting out. Good basic kettlebells with smooth handles, great reviews on walmart.com. We have both these sets and use them frequently.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    you can get a set of 10, 15, and 20 lb CAP cast iron kettlebells from Walmart for $49 and $3 shipping. That's a good starter set for a female and will last you a while. The lighter kettlebell is good for training as you don't want to crush your wrist with a bad snatch before you learn the technique properly. The set of 20, 25, 30 lb ($79) is good for a man starting out. Good basic kettlebells with smooth handles, great reviews on walmart.com. We have both these sets and use them frequently.

Yep, I got the first set and I think it's a pretty good deal. I used the ten for two-three weeks and was ready to move up to 15 for most of the exercises I do... took a really long break from kettlebells though so I'm restarting with the 10 to ease myself back into it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a 10lb and reqret it....definitely should have gone for the 15er.
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I read that if you work out at all, 15lbs is a good place to start. I got that one, and my husband (who is in excellent shape and lifts wight all the time) said it was heavy enough for him to use. It's tough for me and easy for him, but we both can use it. If you can run out to a store and test one out, that's the best way to judge. The weight is (obviously) dispersed very differently from a typical handweight, and it's a little surprising when you first start.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Based off what I've read I went to Target and lifted the 15 lb over my head 10 x's. Then I tried the 20 lb and found I could barely get it off the high shelf with one hand. So, 15 lb I bought.

I went with the Bob Harper weight + vid because it was on sale. Today was my first time to try Kettlebell and I really like it but it kicked my *kitten*!

I could handle the weight but it's the squats that killed me. I'm supposed to keep my heart rate up through out the 30 min vid but there is no way in 'ell I can do that at this moment. My legs just won't let me. I finished the vid stopping for several mins several times during it.

I like Bob Harper (never heard of him till now) but I am disappointed in the vid. HE hardly did anything it's the hot chick that did everything while he strutted around her. I wanted to see more of HIM. I'm not into the hot chick. ;D I want to be her, yes, but she's not the eye candy I want to look at while working out. :)

On days that it's not raining I walk between 30-50 mins so with the Kettlebell workout + walking I should gain more stam in my legs. (Hopefully) :)

Good luck and have fun! Swinging the Kettlebell is fun but the squats are NOT!
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started a couple of months ago with a 10 lb kettlebell and quickly moved to a 15 lb bell. I just recently bought an 8 kg/18 lb bell. I still do snatches using the 15 lb bell but use 18 for everything else. I am thinking of going to a 10 kg/22 lb bell or a 12 kg/26 lb for lower body exercises.
  • goldenpawz99
    Options
    According to "Enter the Kettlebell", by Pavel Tsatsouline (considered to be the father of the modern kettelbell movement in the US), an average female should start with an 18lb kettlebell. If you are really out of shape, maybe start at 15, but when you go much lower, the question is why bother with a kettlebell at all? You could do the same movements with any light weight.

I started with the 10 mostly to get good form. I've been working out with weights for a while now and would not consider that the 15lb kettlebell is for someone that is out of shape. Proper form is most important. A 15lb kettlebell is what I use now until I am comfortable to move up. All in time. Thanks for your post.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    With kettlebells however, "good form" is often best learned using heavier weights as you have to use your whole body, and can't 'strong arm" it. In true kettlebells - as invented by the Russians, the lightest kettlebell available is 8kg (17.6 lbs).
    There are many modified exercises and dvd's out there now that uses lighter weights.
  • purplekitty13
    Options
    Is there a particular material that is best for kettlebells? Just looking online, I've seen cement filled (Tone and CAP), cast iron, etc. Thoughts on durability of materials?

Thanks.
  • sandiegosummer
    Options
    I am so happy for this thread! I am going to go to a demo class tomorrow ... now I know what weight to choose excellent!
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Power-systems.com has great prices and they offer free shipping 4-5 times a year.
  • laurenkeh
    laurenkeh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    With kettlebells however, "good form" is often best learned using heavier weights as you have to use your whole body, and can't 'strong arm" it. In true kettlebells - as invented by the Russians, the lightest kettlebell available is 8kg (17.6 lbs).
    There are many modified exercises and dvd's out there now that uses lighter weights.

I agree with this.
    If your able to easily lift the weight with straight arms out in front to your shoulders it's generally too light. You want your whole body involved and that will get the best results.
    I've got an 8kg(18lb) for snatchs and 16kg for swings etc.
    Good luck!
  • purplekitty13
    Options
    After reading up on the kettlebells, I decided to get a set I could grow into. I purchased a Kettleblock that allows me to adjust it. It costs more, but when I add up what it would cost to purchase 5, 8, 12, 16, and 20 pound kettlebells individually, it does come out less in the long run. This one has a clip that goes all the way through the weights and is very secure.

Unfortunately, my husband thinks that even the 8 pound weight is too much for me.... I don't think so, personally.