I'm melting, are you?

Options
Okay, so I have a window-AC unit and the cord doesn't reach any wall outlets nearby so I've been using a surge protector extension cord (per my dads advice). Only problem is that it keeps shutting off the surge protector every 8-10 minutes. I've tried changing the AC settings (put it from high to low, tried power saver, tried the timer, etc) and nothing is helping.

SOOO being a girl who is miserable because its 11:35pm and 96 outside (but "feels like" 103) and is about 90 inside the house I did what anyone would do... grabbed a regular extension cord, plugged in an adapter to go from 3-prong to 2... and plugged it in.

Now, I KNOW I probably shouldn't have done this... but I'm hoping someone can give me an alternate solution!!

Replies

• MSrhi13
    MSrhi13 Posts: 7
    Options
    I would have done the same thing. This heat is ridiculous. lol
    Wish I could add something that was actually helpful to you... but alas, I can not.
    Stay cool, and best luck finding a more permanent solution! =))
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    SAW A HOLE IN THE WALL CLOSER TO THE PLUG-IN! Omg, I'd be dying without mine! I literally have put holes in my wall. put my a/c in it and plastered around it.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    SAW A HOLE IN THE WALL CLOSER TO THE PLUG-IN! Omg, I'd be dying without mine! I literally have put holes in my wall. put my a/c in it and plastered around it.

Ah, if only I had my sawsall.... oh, and permission from my landlord!! lol
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    YES. I have to hang out downstairs because I'm honestly worried that it might be dangerously hot. Every part of my body felt puffy and weird. I don’t know how to explain the feeling, but it was like my body wasn’t attached to my head. I felt dizzy and had a pounding headache accompanied by the feeling that even my brain was swelling.
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    dude that freaking sucks. so happy mine work.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I would check out your renting laws in your state. In most states it is required to provide adequate heating and cooling. If you have the knowledge I would change out the adaptor to fit into the nearest plug in the wall, but if not you really do need to speak to your land lord.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you are going to use an extension cord get one that is heavy duty (usually orange ones) that is rated correctly and not a regular thin wired one. Using the wrong cord (or surge protector) can cause overheating and catch fire. Make sure that you have plugged the cord into an outlet on the LEAST used circut in your house...again .... overloading a circut in your fuse/switch box can cause overheating (which may be why the surge protector keeps shutting off) and fire. You want to check with your landlord about the circutsl....and let him know why you need to know! He/She should be informed that you are having to take this risk because of inadequate cooling. Good Luck!