Counting Calories - Dining Hall / College

Options
Sorry if there is a thread already on this but I couldn't seem to find it! :)

I'm moving into college in a week (eek!) and ALL our meals are provided in the dining hall. Three times a day. The meals are buffet style, and are normally healthy. Whatever is on offer, there is always some fruit, salad, fresh vegetables, rice etc. available to go with it.

However, if I'm always eating in the dining hall, how can I possibly measure, weigh, or count? How am I going to know how many grams that apple or salad is, or the ingredients that went into that soup, or the weight of a slice of wholewheat pizza? What brand is that piece of bread or caramel slice? How am I going to know if that's half a cup of rice, or one?

Any tips, advice or suggestions on successfully counting calories in such a situation? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Brittni__duh
    Brittni__duh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Does your college provide nutrition information online or in the dining hall? I go to a major university and they list the nutrition information online for the major dishes in the dining halls. I have also found that the chefs usually don't have problems answering questions about ingredients, portion sizes, and preparation methods. I have even seen some chefs prepare dishes in special ways for students with dietary restrictions.

Other than that, enjoy as many fruits and vegetables as you want. If you can't find nutrition information or the chefs aren't helpful, at least you know how many calories are in the apple you can grab.