Feeling mentally tired from the gym

Options
I'm about 5"1 (or shorter) and 97 pounds. I've been trying to cut body fat through cardio and strength training but I've been feeling pretty unmotivated as of late. I dread workouts and feel tired. I do circuits but end up only doing 10/15 minutes and then giving up. I know I have it in me to complete it but my mind is tired. I used to workout everyday but now I can't seem to get myself to do it.

I tried to take a break from the gym for a week but I felt so guilty after a day and went back to it anyway, doing half-assed workouts that made me feel like s***. I know I'm not fat nor am I overweight. I am very petite and at a healthy weight, but there's just some excess fat that I need to lose.

Should I take a short break from exercising? If so, how long?

Replies

• flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert at this or anything, but I would recommend getting an appointment with a trainer, and ask them for some advice. I did that with strength training to rebuild muscle mass lost while dieting, and I found it gave me a new outlook on working out.

I just had one appointment where I told the trainer what I was looking for, what I was used to doing on my own. I'd love to work out with a PT but they're crazy expensive. I didn't have to pay much just for one hour with a trainer, and I haven't regretted it once.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Vary your routine .... take a walk .... ride a bike ....take a swing dancing class ....... everything gets boring if you stay with the one routine ... shake it up.
  • GloynByw
    GloynByw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Vary your routine .... take a walk .... ride a bike ....take a swing dancing class ....... everything gets boring if you stay with the one routine ... shake it up.

I agree. Take a cardio class or dancing or something different. A change is as good as a rest.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Do you allow yourself deload weeks periodically? They really help! And maybe cut back on some of the cardio, especially if you are doing cardio + strength on the same days. Also, how's your food intake? Getting enough calories & micronutrients?
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert at this or anything, but I would recommend getting an appointment with a trainer, and ask them for some advice. I did that with strength training to rebuild muscle mass lost while dieting, and I found it gave me a new outlook on working out.

I just had one appointment where I told the trainer what I was looking for, what I was used to doing on my own. I'd love to work out with a PT but they're crazy expensive. I didn't have to pay much just for one hour with a trainer, and I haven't regretted it once.

Have to say I agree with this. At my gym, as well as the Personal Trainers, there are also Fitness Coaches that are there for free advice, guidance and support. I know as part of our membership we get a free session every 6 months so we can re-evaluate our training programmes etc.

Try to mix things up when you're there, a mixture of cardio and weights/strength training so that you keep your body and your mind on their toes!

I have phases when I just don't want to it it, when I am tired and fed up with it all and I have to hold my hands up and say that I have had breaks - long ones at times. I've ended up regretting it! My last break was in September last year and lasted for almost 4 months and resulted in a huge weight gain, which now I am busting my *kitten* to resolve!

However, a day off is required, you need to allow yourself at least a day every week! We all need to rest.

Good luck with it, I really hope that things pick up for you.
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    Do you allow yourself deload weeks periodically? They really help! And maybe cut back on some of the cardio, especially if you are doing cardio + strength on the same days. Also, how's your food intake? Getting enough calories & micronutrients?

My food intake is good. I try to take in more protein now. About 1200 cals a day! I don't really let myself deload....I do take a break on Sundays sometimes but I feel guilty once I take a break!
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Yep or have couple days off.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Train with other people! I was feeling like that so I joined a bootcamp its only started but already im getting back into the swing and wanting to exercise again :)
  • isazzzz
    Options

Have to say I agree with this. At my gym, as well as the Personal Trainers, there are also Fitness Coaches that are there for free advice, guidance and support. I know as part of our membership we get a free session every 6 months so we can re-evaluate our training programmes etc.

Try to mix things up when you're there, a mixture of cardio and weights/strength training so that you keep your body and your mind on their toes!

I have phases when I just don't want to it it, when I am tired and fed up with it all and I have to hold my hands up and say that I have had breaks - long ones at times. I've ended up regretting it! My last break was in September last year and lasted for almost 4 months and resulted in a huge weight gain, which now I am busting my *kitten* to resolve!

However, a day off is required, you need to allow yourself at least a day every week! We all need to rest.

Good luck with it, I really hope that things pick up for you.

Thanks man. But I'm not part of a gym though...how do I get advice from a trainer then?
  • isazzzz
    Options
    Train with other people! I was feeling like that so I joined a bootcamp its only started but already im getting back into the swing and wanting to exercise again :)

Bootcamp???? Sounds fun, what's that???
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

My food intake is good. I try to take in more protein now. About 1200 cals a day! I don't really let myself deload....I do take a break on Sundays sometimes but I feel guilty once I take a break!

You shouldn't feel guilty for taking one day off per week! Your body needs it! It needs time to recover and so do you!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    1200 should be a bare minimum! Take a deload week. You need a break!! Good luck :)
  • AussieRachG
    AussieRachG Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Looks at days off as a prize rather than something to be guilty abut. You should feel guilty that you're not being kind to your muscles and giving them the space they need to mend themselves to best strength. On your days off, look at that as a super healthy day and concentrate on experimenting with new recipes and meal ideas.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

I got it on an offer it was £10 for the month of July you go 3 times a week and go throught army style fitness training! Its good craic, very hard and you get loads of motivation from the others and the trainer! Im sure there would be something like that close to you :)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Yep or have couple days off.

This^^^

Take a few days off. Took me a while to realise, but a de-load every now and then is one of the best things you can do for your training.
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Perhaps buy new running shoes? A new sports bra? New pants? New dumbbells?
    I'm always motivated to try out new things, so maybe that helps you as well <3
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    One thing is that if you are 5'1" and 97 lbs (I know you say that you may be a bit shorter but I am sure it is not by a lot), you are actually UNDERWEIGHT Your BMI with those numbers is 18.3 and you should have a BMI between 18.5 and 25. It is likely that the fatigue that you are experiencing is related to the fact that you lack energy to complete the tasks.

I would recommend the following..

1. Increase your caloric allowance by at least 100-200 calories per day... focus a lot on good carbs and protein.

2. Vary your exercise routine and increase your STRENGTH TRAINING rather than additional aerobic activity or circuit training.

3. Variety is the spice of life so try to do different things to get your exercise in.. Maybe some outdoor activities...

4. Many who are underweight fear getting fat... They may even have a bulge or two to get rid of but this is best done with toning the muscles and decreasing the body fat while INCREASING THE WEIGHT... You want to be FIT rather than SKINNY...

Your optimum weight for your height should be in the neighborhood of 110-115 and even more if you are well toned. Your BMR for your height/weight is about 1157... That is if you did nothing but sleep all day. You definitely need more food that 1200 calories. Your tiredness is likely partially due to lack of nutrition as well as possibly lacking variety.

Best wishes in achieving the true goals that you want to achieve...
  • isazzzz
    Options
    One thing is that if you are 5'1" and 97 lbs (I know you say that you may be a bit shorter but I am sure it is not by a lot), you are actually UNDERWEIGHT Your BMI with those numbers is 18.3 and you should have a BMI between 18.5 and 25. It is likely that the fatigue that you are experiencing is related to the fact that you lack energy to complete the tasks.

I would recommend the following..

1. Increase your caloric allowance by at least 100-200 calories per day... focus a lot on good carbs and protein.

2. Vary your exercise routine and increase your STRENGTH TRAINING rather than additional aerobic activity or circuit training.

3. Variety is the spice of life so try to do different things to get your exercise in.. Maybe some outdoor activities...

4. Many who are underweight fear getting fat... They may even have a bulge or two to get rid of but this is best done with toning the muscles and decreasing the body fat while INCREASING THE WEIGHT... You want to be FIT rather than SKINNY...

Your optimum weight for your height should be in the neighborhood of 110-115 and even more if you are well toned. Your BMR for your height/weight is about 1157... That is if you did nothing but sleep all day. You definitely need more food that 1200 calories. Your tiredness is likely partially due to lack of nutrition as well as possibly lacking variety.

Best wishes in achieving the true goals that you want to achieve...

Ehhhh no.. I do not feel physically tired. I feel mentally tired/unmotivated. I do a 10 minute circuit and stop but I know I could have gone for another 2 more rounds. I'm asian and living in Singapore. Under our local chart, my statistics are in the healthy range, it would take another 5 kg less off of my current weight to render me as underweight. (we are all VERY petite here).
  • isazzzz
    Options

I got it on an offer it was £10 for the month of July you go 3 times a week and go throught army style fitness training! Its good craic, very hard and you get loads of motivation from the others and the trainer! Im sure there would be something like that close to you :)

Just did some research and I think I'm going to go for it after I sign up for a Cardio Sculpt class. Thanks for recommending!!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you are mentally tired because you are not getting the results that you want, so you are not motivated to work out? Could you set other fitness goals besides that your weight goal? Also I think it would do you some good if you eat more. Most days, you are under your calories by quite a bit. You really do need to fuel your body properly for your health and fitness. Your body isn't going to let good of the body fat if it's not getting enough nutrients.