Setting realistic goals and objectives

Options
I am privileged to be friends with a number of people on MFP all of whom are making great progress. However, when I look at some diaries I see quite a large variance between the calorific target and achievement. Some people appear to be easily achieving their goals.

MFP initially gave me a calorie target of 2500. This was so easily achieved that I reduced it down to 1800, and as moved forward and was easily achieving this target I reduced it down to 1500 which is proving to be challenging at the moment.
Targets should be challenging and push people to improve and sometimes should be a struggle to achieve.

What’s your view ?

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Targets should be challenging, but I dont personally understand why you are arbitrarily reducing your calories? Is it to be closer to maintenace or just make it more difficult?
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I certainly agree that targets should be challenging; change is all about challenges. However, I'm not sure if that goes for calories per day as well - after all, actually losing weight is a challenge in itself, one that already forced plenty of people to their knees. Even if I could lower it (which I can't, seeing as I'm at 1200 kcal per day), I probably wouldn't. A challenge is fine, but there's no use in being too hard on oneself. (And I love food.)

That said, however, I think everyone can do what the hell they want. If you can stand living so far beneath what MFP suggested without feeling deprived (and given that this works for you) - why not?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Perhaps some targets should be like that, but I don't think that's really the point of your calorie goal. Your body needs a certain amount of energy and MFP is set up to let your body get enough energy, while creating a resonable calorie deficit to allow you to lose weight. Pushing yourself to consume a lower and lower amount of food, challenging yourself to manage on less and less - that sounds a bit like disordered eating.
  • traceyb68
    traceyb68 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Targets should be challenging, however not so challenging you feel like giving up - so many of us losers try too hard - as we all want to lose quickly - buts its life time changes us big losers need Must of us know the Yo-Yo effect too. I have made a conciencious choice to keep the target set by MFP as they adjust to my current weight so I can once and for all acheive it - gradually decreasing my daily calorie intake to a normal persons. Keep going Stu, may be you are like me tand his has to become obsessive to continue - my obsession is talking to MFP friends to divert me away from the Food thought but focus on weight loss.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm realistic goal to lose 4 Stone in 4 months, many many MFPers will shout to fast a weight lose to unhealthy, etc etc comes down to how much weight in fat you are carrying to me
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I really can't see that.

Challenge yourself to work harder, run faster/longer, lift more, move more? All fine.

Challenge yourself to keep reducing your calorie intake? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Most people fall off of the wagon because they try to follow an unrealistic eating plan and can't stick to it. If you are easily staying within your calorie goals, that's a good thing, it means you have found a plan that suit you.

Obviously if what you are doing is working for you, then all well and good, but I'm not sure it's something you should be recommending to others.
  • stuartadair1
    stuartadair1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Certainly some interesting replies, thank you for that. The conclusion I've come to after spending many years trying all sorts of dieting is that not only is everyone different and therefore the one-size-fits-all approach doesnt always work, but also what worked for me 2 years ago doesnt work now, so I've had to change my approch.

Unless I'm mistaken, we use MFP to track our progress in some way or other, be that calories, carbs, or exercise hours. My point is that whatever measure you choose you should constantly try strive to improve. Achieving targets every day is a sign that you're perhaps not pushing yourself hard enough.

If a jobs worth doing - Its worth doing properly :bigsmile:
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    so following your logic at what point in time will you be able to eat zero calories and still live?
  • lroberts5
    lroberts5 Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't feel like the target shouldn't be reached everyday. I know that I have weight to lose and I want to lose it but I'm not doing what I'm doing as a diet to get me there, I'm focusing on changing my lifestyle, a goal I set a year and a half ago and everyday I learn a little more about myself to get me there. I've set my calories so that I'm at "1lb a week" and there are days I'm way below my suggested calorie intake and some I go above. That is life. I'm not on a short term diet, I'm on a mission to teach myself the correct portions, the correct foods, some self control. Somedays those calories are fantastic and I eat correctly and some days those calories end up being more Sangria than anything else ;) . But I'm not a fan of constantly lowering just because it's achieved too easily. My daily goal of 1570 calories is so easily achieved simply by eating real foods instead of highly processed items. Also, success shouldn't be measured in how low your caloric intake/goals are, it should be measured in how YOU FEEL. Are you losing weight, are you seeing a change in your body? Do you have more energy, better moods, working out better? Those things should be measured equally to calories. You are doing fantastic though, you motivate me everyday and I don't wanna see you get to where things are out of range and a challenge becomes too daunting.