Why Breakfast?

Options
Having dieted all my life I've picked up some really bad habits which are now hard to break. One of my great challenges right now is eating breakfast. I don't eat breakfast most days and if I do it'll be around 11pm or after 12pm. I'm worried that this will affect my weight loss. My question is this; why is it really important to eat breakfast for weight loss? Does it really affect metabolism if we skip it? I really want to lose weight and if not eating breakfast keeping me from achieving my goal then I'd want to do something about it.

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    www.leangains.com.

All your questions will be answered and all your fears put to rest.

You are welcome! :bigsmile:
  • smkcx
    smkcx Posts: 69
    Options
    I totally misread this, sorry lol
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    as far as I understand it, eating kickstarts yoru metabolism for the day and wakes it up to start burning calories! I eat within an hour of waking up everyday and I feel better I then snack something small normallya fruit or rusk with coffee, then lunch and a small snack again and then dinner! Although I dont eat if I am not hungry! I try to keep fueling my body especially if I am being active
  • korazonkule
    Options
    HELP! WHAT ARE THE BEST FOODS TO HAVE FOR BREAKFAST! I CANT COME UP WITH SOMETHING NUTRITIOUS! THNX!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Good news: You don't need to eat breakfast! Basically, there is no such thing as kick-starting your metabolism. Also the scientific evidence on whether you need to eat breakfast is very mixed, and evidence in favor of breakfast is basically psychological rather than physical.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good breakfast

I try have some fibre and protien for breakfast, Protein def keeps me fulelr for longer, if i eat cereal I am hungry soon after i get to work.

Soem days I have fruit and yougurt.

This morning I had two boiled eggs with one slice of brown toast with a little marmalade on, it lasts me till 10:30 - 12:00.

I also make a quiche and freeze portions then I take one out the night before i want it for breakfast and simply warm it in the microwave in the morning.

In summer I like a nice smoothie, fat free yogurt and fruit.

Or an omlette with some cheese and mushroom! YUm!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Good news: You don't need to eat breakfast! Basically, there is no such thing as kick-starting your metabolism.

This.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Oooh I eat breakfast in the morning because I'm normally starving and man, I'm cranky when I'm hungry! ; )

I don't think you have to eat it though so if you really don't want to, don't think you wont lose any weight. Normally at weekends I'll have brunch instead so I get to have a good cooked breakfast or something and then a bigger dinner.

Just do what suits you xx
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Good news: You don't need to eat breakfast! Basically, there is no such thing as kick-starting your metabolism.

I think exercise does a pretty good job of kick starting it.

Besides, breakfast is to replenish what your body has used during a seven or eight hour fast keeping you alive when you sleep. How do you replenish this and give yourself more energy?

Food in the shape of breakfast. Ensure you have a good carbohydrate source and protein. Doesn't have to be isolate, blends are just as useful if not better.

As for lean gains, notice how the people aren't what you call overweight before they started fasting?

You need to eat a good breakfast, ignore at your peril.
  • bakz4
    bakz4 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HELP! WHAT ARE THE BEST FOODS TO HAVE FOR BREAKFAST! I CANT COME UP WITH SOMETHING NUTRITIOUS! THNX!

I like to have a cup of lowfat yogurt with fresh fruit topped with some granola.
    An egg-white omelete with cut up veggies. For variety put it on a 100-calorie English muffin.
    A string cheeese stick with some ham or turkey rolled around it.
    1/3 - 1/2 cup old fashioned quick oats cooked with skim milk topped with fresh fruit.

All of these are quick to prepare and can be taken on the go. I'm not an early morning breakfast eater, either. I usually take it to work and then eat it when I get settled in. They are quick to prepare and quick to eat. But mainly, healthy!!!
  • Blondehelmet
    Blondehelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been told that having breakfast gives you enough energy and makes it easier to stay on track for the rest of the day. I've had a bit of trouble with breakfast too, never having eaten it before. Maybe try a smoothie with fruit, yoghurt and a protein powder or somethig that is easier to get down in the morning?

I'm actually unsure about what time to have breakfast too, as I work really late and don't get up until 9 or 10 the next morning.
  • lucylAnneMason
    Options
    I find, normally if i eat breakfast and i'm not hungry, it makes me constantly hungry and crave throughout the day or makes me feel really ill, so if you don't feel like eating it I suggest you don't =) i normally eat breakfast once or twice a month, if that and I'm doing fine with my weight loss =) xx
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

This.

Yes this. However......

If you're at home surrounded by your healthy food choices, whole grain cereals, fruit, lean protein, skimmed milk etc and you decline breakfast; think ahead to 11oc when you're hungry at work surrounded by vending machines with choc bars, crisps, sweets etc, If that's likely then you really should have had your breakfast!

Nothing to do with kickstarting your metabolism though
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Mmmporkrinds Posts: 192
    Options
    I find eating breakfast helpful as it keeps my energy levels up and means I'm less hungry at lunch, but if you hate the idea maybe one of those milk-based drinks would be good - if I'm in a rush I'll sometimes have one of those 'Get Up And Go' drinks. They're a bit high in sugar but otherwise OK and goes down easy.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options

This.

Yes this. However......

If you're at home surrounded by your healthy food choices, whole grain cereals, fruit, lean protein, skimmed milk etc and you decline breakfast; think ahead to 11oc when you're hungry at work surrounded by vending machines with choc bars, crisps, sweets etc, If that's likely then you really should have had your breakfast!

Nothing to do with kickstarting your metabolism though

So true.

I'd also like to add that when you wake up your body is fairly dehydrated and nutrient-deprived. So eating breakfast can be beneficial, especially if you're a bodybuilder of some sort. I pretty much never eat cereal, however.

It's early and I can't bring myself to get behind the science as to what breakfast does for your body but I'm sure that leangains.com website can shed light since he seems to have a zombie following. I'm sure he's credible though.

Basically here's what my breakfasts typically consist of:
    4 Eggs, scrambled
    1 Large Banana

And I'm full.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    One of the dieting tricks doctors I have talked to emphasize is to eat often. This means more than three meals a day, at least 5-6. These should of course not be huge meals, but healthy, small ones. If you skip breakfast and don't eat until noon, you have to hurry up if you want to have more than 3 meals.

At the same time, not all people manage to eat while they are half asleep. My trick with that kind of family members: A packed sandwich to eat before lunch, when they start feeling a bit hungry, or a little bag with some carrots and fruit. Perhaps a little bag of nuts, or some slices of cheese, or a youghurt: it all depends on how much you work out and how many calories you are eating.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with your metabolism.

But breakfast gives you energy, makes you feel better for the day. It is a good chance to start your day well and less likely to binge.
    It is generally healthier to have breakfast than to of had your body wait from last nights dinner til it eats again.

I never ate breakfast for years and years. Even as a kid I refused it. All this year i've been having it and it is now my favourite meal of the day :D
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It's entirely personal preference. Plenty of people (both lean and people who are overweight and taking care of it) do quite well without eating any breakfast.

If skipping breakfast makes it easier to hit your daily calorie and macronutrient total, then skip breakfast.
    If skipping breakfast makes it harder to hit your daily calorie and macronutrient total, then don't skip breakfast.