Eating all my calories is hard!

Options
Hi guys!!

Im currently set at 1470 cals..and I do the 30DS which i log as circuit training for 28 minutes which is about 300 cals, this means im trying to eat around 1770 cals a day but im finding this extremely hard! I eat as much as i can during the day (healthy stuff of course!) but by the end of the day i still am around 300-400 cals down.. has anyone got any ideas of simple healthy foods that can help bump up my cals as I really dont want to plataeu again now that iv started shifting the pounds again!

Replies

• kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also experiencing this problem!

A couple of the ideas I've been having are adding 'fatty' fruit/veg to my diet. eg Cocnut chunks or avocado added to my meal. They both add quite a few calories but are full of healthy fat and vitamins.

I thought about adding a small pack of seeds or nuts as a snack somewhere in the day.

I've been thinking about protein shakes after my workout but I don't know anything about these yet. Need to do more research!

Good luck with your diet :)

I started 30 DS today! Excited to start seeing results!
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also experiencing this problem!

A couple of the ideas I've been having are adding 'fatty' fruit/veg to my diet. eg Cocnut chunks or avocado added to my meal. They both add quite a few calories but are full of healthy fat and vitamins.

I thought about adding a small pack of seeds or nuts as a snack somewhere in the day.

I've been thinking about protein shakes after my workout but I don't know anything about these yet. Need to do more research!

Good luck with your diet :)

I started 30 DS today! Excited to start seeing results!

I started the shred yday and it was intense, but i thought i would be in more pain! maybe its going to hit me later!! I drink some juice and that usually adds a bit of cals!
  • olivia_sweeetie13
    Options
    Hmmm honestly I had to eat pizza last night to get it up there.
    I think just eating like fruits and all sorts of stuff like that even though you ain't hungry will do it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Girl, pick up a spoon and peanut butter jar and start scoopin'. Or eat some nuts, avocado or cook food in evoo. Or get a protein shake like muscle milk which is 300 calories per two scoops.
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Girl, pick up a spoon and peanut butter jar and start scoopin'. Or eat some nuts, avocado or cook food in evoo. Or get a protein shake like muscle milk which is 300 calories per two scoops.

I used to love peanut butter but then i read somewhere that almost every jar has some rodent hair in it and it totally put me off it!! I got some whey protien so i might start using that, i just really dont like the taste of it much! lol
  • spanglevie
    spanglevie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Protein powder really helps get the calories up. I have at least one scoop a day. If you don't like it then try mixing it into a smoothy. There are loads of recipe ideas on here. But basically if you put a bit of fruit in with your powder, half milk/water (I use almond milk a lot), half a banana and blend you get a lovely smoothy that's also really filling.
  • spanglevie
    spanglevie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh and also nuts, I tend to have almonds, again you don't need many of these to bump up your calories.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I dont like to eat just for the sake of reaching that calorie goal. From what I have read, and this is not something I am applying, as long as you are above your BMR you should be ok.

I do almonds and cashews as a snack, protein bars (I like pure protein brand) and protein shakes (I like the atkins one).
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

I used to love peanut butter but then i read somewhere that almost every jar has some rodent hair in it and it totally put me off it!! I got some whey protien so i might start using that, i just really dont like the taste of it much! lol

Eww now i'm kinda put off it too lol
    Nuts, protein bars/shakes, avacado etc
    You could make your own bars filled with lots of goodness which would add up
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've never personally had this issue because I eat a lot of calorie dense foods - olive oil, peanut butter, avocado, nuts, etc...popcorn and spray butter and things like that aren't a part of my diet because I want the more caloric food so I don't fill the extra calories each day with junk! I eat about 2,500 calories per day, btw :)
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Just about *EVERY* commercially produced food product has traces of rodent hair/feces, insect parts, etc. Check out the FDA's website for the list of "acceptable" contaminants -- althought reading through that just make make it even more difficult to eat.

http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidancedocuments/sanitation/ucm056174.htm

If it's any consolation, you've been eating this stuff for YEARS with no ill effects... :smile:
  • tlruffino
    tlruffino Posts: 28
    Options
    I was having the same problem. TAlked to my personal trainer. She told me to try to eat at least half of them back. That works for me and I only seem to same 100-200 calories some days and other its less than 80.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated with those of you who complain about eating above 1200 cals. Whine to me when you are an Olympian and have to eat 3000+ calories a day to maintain your weight, lol. 1700 is not hard if you fill it with protein and good fats. The last time I worked out really hard, I had 1500 cals for breakfast.
    Call me when you leave mamby pamby land *tease*
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My fave protein shake recipe is around 335 calories, but you could up it a bit by not using fat free dairy. I do one banana, a scoop of chocolate whey protein, 1/2 cup of fat free greek yogurt, and 1/2 cup of skim milk in the blender with some ice. Also, same as everyone else said, avocado, banana, coconut, raw almonds!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    peanut butter , peanuts- so simple really
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I will add flax seed oil into my protein shakes or coconut oil into a fruit smoothie. If you have a good blender (mine was a cheap $15 one) then should be no problem. Plus, both oils are good for you.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Healthy foods that can bump up the cals:

Cheese, Avocado, nuts... basically look for stuff with a higher fat content.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I first started I had the worst time eating up to my calories...but it's so much easier now! I eat nuts, avocados, cheese...all the high calorie stuff to get up up to my limit, and don't be afraid to treat yourself to a goodie! I have a bar of dark chocolate I usually have a piece of in the afternoon.
    As for the rodent hair in PB...and jarred or processed food will have that problem - food companies are allowed up to a certain percentage of things like bug parts (makes you want to go for wholefoods doesn't it?) You can make you own (just need roasted peanuts) or buy the all natural stuff, which is just peanuts without all the oil and additives bigger brands have.

ETA: I have a protein smoothie for breakfast and sometime I throw some protein powder in my chocolate milk in the evening (I used a vegan powder that's chickpea based)
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Try Nakd bars, they are tasty and full of natural ingredients.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I almost never have that problem, but when I do, I "roll over" my calories to the next day. My hunger comes and goes so it is a good system for me. Like others have said, nuts, cheese, and fruit are all good ways to up your calories.

Conversely, you could stay under some of the time. I, personally, don't think it's going to hurt me if I end up being under. I'm pretty sure I didn't gain all this weight from eating too little. But again, this is my opinion about myself, and may not be true for you.