A little discouraged

Options
Hi everyone. I went on the scale today and it made me feel discouraged. I actually gained weight despite making attempts to eat healthy and exercise. I was 166.6 and now I am 168. Ugh! I know that muscle weighs more than fat but can it really make that much of a difference? I am really beginning to see changes in my body and I feel great...but the scale is saying otherwise...

Replies

• LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    If you are seeing changes in your body, then you are doing fine! Weight can vary so much due to different circumstances...it is more of a guide than a definite. Let your body tell you if what you're doing is working.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scales!
    If you are seeing/feeling differences, trust that. It could have been water retention, undigested food, etc. one scale reading is meaningless in my opinion.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I went on the scale today and it made me feel discouraged. I actually gained weight despite making attempts to eat healthy and exercise. I was 166.6 and now I am 168. Ugh! I know that muscle weighs more than fat but can it really make that much of a difference? I am really beginning to see changes in my body and I feel great...but the scale is saying otherwise...

Take measurements, if you've been working out its most likely water retention to repair those muscles!
  • StarlaAgain
    StarlaAgain Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree. Step away from the scale. (kick that sucker across the room!!!) If you are making healthy changes that old scale will catch up. But I hear ya. I HATE it when the numbers go up. Makes me just want to throw in the towel. But try not to. Hang in there. We are all going through the same thing. Take care...and here's to a great day. :-)

Starla
  • joannmdunn
    joannmdunn Posts: 22
    Options
    I have found the scale to go up or not move when I exercise, and I do try to get some type of exercise in everyday. I have noticed myself getting smaller and the smaller and the scale have little movement but then every 3 weeks I would have a big loss. Stay focused eat well and exercise the scale will move don't get discouraged.
  • HUNGRYHIPPO68
    HUNGRYHIPPO68 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

My first week at SW I had joined a gym and gone evry other day I gained 5lbs that week was gutted but following week had lost it and a few more stick with it I am sure it will ok xx
  • evenduchess83
    evenduchess83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Maybe I do rely on the scale way too much. My body...even though it is sore...at least my abs are...is looking and feeling much better. My stomach does not stick out as much and when I stand up straight...I cannot see my belly past my boobs if that makes any sense lol. My pants and shirts are looser too....so something good is happening.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy, exercising and feeling good is what it is all about, try not to worry about the numbers on the scale too much.
  • evenduchess83
    Options
    Oh...i forgot to mention that this is only my second week doing TurboJam. Maybe I am gaining muscle.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It is all too easy to become obsessed with a number that in reality is only the gravitational effect on our body. Different phases of the moon will vary your weight (not substantially but it does)

Measure your perception - do you feel healthier, can you now do some exercise that you couldnt before, fit some clothes that were always too tight, say no to a second serving of pie (or the first if you are REALLY good)

The NSVs are much more important than a number that can be effected by so many things - including the time of day that you weigh yourself.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the scale! Just keep doing what you're doing...your body is rebelling and trying to hold onto everything it can! We all go through this and it is discouraging, but just keep going!! :flowerforyou:
  • evenduchess83
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your encouragement really helps!!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Oh...i forgot to mention that this is only my second week doing TurboJam. Maybe I am gaining muscle.

Not 2lbs worth. It'll be water weight. When you work out your body takes on water to repair the muscles. Don't fall into the trap people fall into sometimes, you aren't going to gain muscle mass that rapidly, especially on a calorie deficit. Doing cardio as well is going to be counter-intuitive over lifting on gaining muscle fast.
  • jlanzer
    jlanzer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This was an excellent article! Thanks for sharing!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy, exercising and feeling good is what it is all about, try not to worry about the numbers on the scale too much.

This!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I totally needed to read that article, too! I even bookmarked it! That was great!
  • ichellebereel
    ichellebereel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That's what you want to see is change and that great! I don't depend on the scale due to the fact that I retain water due to health reasons but I know I am losing. Last week along I had 5 pounds of water retain but this week it reducing and my inches as well. Be encourage!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you get a chance check out this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof?hl=scale+liar

I actually bookmarked it to remind me to not focus on the numbers as much.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    just be sure to take your measurements!