How to use TDEE

Options
Hi everyone
I am curious about this TDEE value thing. since i started on my plan (3 weeks ago) :smile: :smile: i have been trying to maintain my calories (including exercise) at around 1200. I havent lost much, but i dont lose weight easily. Anyway i calculated my TDEE and its 2402. How do i use this value?

Replies

• salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Been done before, according to a thread search:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/629747-what-is-tdee
  • mdjoubert03
    Options
    i know what it is, i meant how do i use it to lose and still stay healthy. i checked out the website they gave, theres a whole alota talking, and no getting to the point, im a engineer i need people to go straight to the point. tell me A + B = healthy weight loss
  • mdjoubert03
    Options
    aaw never mind- blonde moment- i did a thread search too, thanks dude
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Check out the group eat more to way less of you'd like. Basically we eat somewhere in between our BMR and below tdee for gradual sustainabl weight loss. Imbonly one month in but do far so good. Oh also you'll see folks who have slow metabolisms and are trying to set them back to normal by eating at their tdee level for a little bit and then cutting again. It's great for plateaus from low calorie dieting.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    TDEE is an estate of how many calories you body uses during your day, including exercise.

To lose weight you have to eat less than that.

How much less is a matter of opinion.

Some people deduct 15-20%, others deduct 500 cals per lb loss.
    The choice is yours, but the smaller you are the smaller you should set your deficit, as it is relative to your weight.

I.e a 1000 cal deficit is ok for someone who's TDEE is 3000c, but way too much for someone whose TDEE is 1900.
    Good luck!
  • mdjoubert03
    Options
    thanks
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    MFP member HelloitsDan wrote an excellent, accurate and very helpful post that explains it (and many other things) in great detail:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    TDEE is an estate of how many calories you body uses during your day, including exercise.

To lose weight you have to eat less than that.

How much less is a matter of opinion.

Some people deduct 15-20%, others deduct 500 cals per lb loss.
    The choice is yours, but the smaller you are the smaller you should set your deficit, as it is relative to your weight.

I.e a 1000 cal deficit is ok for someone who's TDEE is 3000c, but way too much for someone whose TDEE is 1900.
    Good luck!

About the most sensible thing that I have read on here for a while :flowerforyou:
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    MFP member HelloitsDan wrote an excellent, accurate and very helpful post that explains it (and many other things) in great detail:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Yes, I have this bookmarked.. Wonderful explanation!