What keeps you motivated?

Options
I've dieted all my life. I start with a weight loss program and after a few weeks or a month I give up. If I don't see it on the scale or if I don't feel like I'm losing weight I give up. If someone tells me that I've put on weight I give up. I always admire people who lose weight whether it's more or less because I find losing weight such a great challenge and it takes a lot of effort. The longest I've actually devoted myself to a weight loss program is 4 months. In my long journey of 'yo yo' dieting I've learned 'FINALLY' that losing weight will take time, that it is a lifestyle change and you cannot always depend on the scale. Still working on the 'letting go of the scale' thing. But really .... How do you do it? the patience? How do you keep yourself motivated for more than a month or even a year of working towards your goal weight? What keeps you going?

Replies

• ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hey I always used to fail too! I used to fall of the wagon a week or two in, now i have been going for more than a month! I have lost 6.5kg and 37.5cm! I am so excited! I have had a bad week, but i think what the hell this is gonna happen we are all going to have days that we really just go way over our calorie intake and I belive that to create the lifestyle that has to be ok! When you are done you get up and move on! I took my before photos the other day and I was shocked at what i looked like! i now look at them every now and then just to remind me what I have allowed myself to become and they are pretyy scary so it normally works for me!

My before photos are like the boogy man! :D

Stay strong, stay dedicated and remind yoruself why you are doing this! x
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ive got a few pics at me when i waws happy with my body- i have one stuck on my fridge and when the going gets tough i look at the pic and remind myself how happy and confident i was at that weight, and that motivates me to carry on.
    i think if you really weant to loose weight that much you will find a wayto do it!!! good luck :)
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I keep a weight loss album on facebook with monthly progress photos. I take a glance through it and realize how much weight I've really lost, even when the numbers don't show it. Also my friends like to cheer me on when I post the photo at the end of each month. :)

...I also keep thinking how much I do not want to wear a plus sized wedding dress. Most of them do not look nice at all. So when I make that step someday, I want to be ready to be able to fit into a beautiful dress. *dreamy siiiiigh*
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't consider that I am on a diet! I consider it a life changing! I'm tracking everything i eat. I stay away from my downfall, " sweets ". I am very disciplined except when it comes to cookies, ice cream, etc. So I don't have them in my house! I live alone so it is easy for me!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's true what they say, you really have to be in the right headspace to commit to it. Sometimes, you have to hit rock bottom ( not necessarily from a highest weight perspective, sometimes on a more personal level). For me, seeing the numbers on the scale decrease, not getting hell sugar or carb cravings, fitting skinny jeans, getting compliments from friends, family, colleagues - they all help. I'm actually starting to like what I see in the mirror again, my confidence is increasing, and I'm looking at my end goal with a "bring it on!" attitude! You can do it, you just have to really, really want to.
  • kaigausista
    kaigausista Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Those are all so true and yes I also have a 'boogy man' picture of myself lol. I took it but finding it hard to look at it... i guess that should keep me motivated. I just looked at it just now and I can see an unhappy person who have so much to offer. I don't want to be that person anymore. Thankyou everyone for the motivation. Although I've just joined MFP (two weeks now) I find so much motivation to go another day. I guess I'll take it one day at a time. I guess one of the reasons why I failed in the past was because I was doing it 'alone'. Thank you all once again. Right now I feel like I can actually do this. My aim right now is to continue logging in to MFP even after 5 months. If I can do that... I'll be so proud of myself.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    That is a good place to start! Some said one day one the site and its stuck with me:

IF YOU BITE IT ...... WRITE IT!

I am accountable for what i eat and how much of it I eat!

Today for the first time I only had 1/2 a tin of tuna instead of a whole one, and 1/4 avo instead of a half!
    Small steps will get you there! I Promise you that!
  • kaigausista
    kaigausista Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That is a good place to start! Some said one day one the site and its stuck with me:

Today for the first time I only had 1/2 a tin of tuna instead of a whole one, and 1/4 avo instead of a half!

Thankyou so much!
  • hhichristina
    hhichristina Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me, knowing that I'll have a healthier pregnancy and hopefully easier time TTC if I lose the weight beforehand keeps me very motivated.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    for me, any food plan or tool (even MFP) is just one piece of the puzzle. to address the ROOT causes of my overeating (emotions, resentment, etc), i find the 12 step program Overeaters Anonymous to be indespensible. for me, overeating is more than a problem of the body--it's a problem of the mind and spirit too
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Back in September 2011, I had 40 lbs to lose! I think what kept me going was two things: a realistic eating plan (still incorporating the foods I like) and continuously going through my wardrobe! I literally had stuff ranging from sizes 2-12 in my drawers and closet so it seemed like every week or so I would find something that was too big (and would put in the pile) or something that would fit! Then I would put the next shirt or pair of pants on my chair and try it on once a week until it fit!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    ive got a few pics at me when i waws happy with my body- i have one stuck on my fridge and when the going gets tough i look at the pic and remind myself how happy and confident i was at that weight, and that motivates me to carry on.

I have gone the opposite ... I have a picture of me when I was at my heaviest that I use as my "never again". This motivates me more than anything.

But for sticking with the change of lifestyle. You set the program - make it fun. If you dont like the gym dont base your exercise plan around the gym find something that you like to do - join a local amateur football club or walking group - something that YOU want to do. Eat stuff you like - but eat LESS to stay under your daily goals. Eventually you will decide that the foods that are bad for you cost you too much in calorie/exercise terms and will subtly change your diet - although somethings will stay ....Damn you subway cookies !!!
  • ClairBears84
    Options

Thankyou so much!

we are all here for each other! The support on this site is INCREDIBLE!!! xxx